Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Basshead

Educated
Basshead got to try it myself, heard this is cool if you are playing on dominating https://www.stygiansoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Utility_Tower
(Sic)

Well, I think this settles the fact that my next play through will be on dominating. Those bosses and the utility tower, plus that suicide vest grenade belt sound sick.

The question remains though, what build to choose? I’ve never played dominating before and this game is pretty unforgiving as it is.

My current and first character is
an smg wielding spec ops type that relies heavily on bursting from near-melee range and throwing grenades for groups or anything tough. Molotovs and copious use of bear traps for area denial and opportunist attacks.

I’ve got my crafting, subterfuge, mercantile, persuasion etc. high enough to do whatever I want basically. If I get really lucky with some component maybe I’ll have to use a workbench or pop a hypercerebrix.

I’ve heard a similar build with an assault rifle would be even more effective but maybe not play much different? More strength would enable heavier armor and greater threat range at the sacrifice of mobility I assume.

One regret I have is that although my intelligence was high enough to get a good amount of lore, my will was so pitiful I missed out on basically all the monolith visions. Through terminals and shopping the acorn to various buyers I was able to get the gist of everything. Maybe a high will psionic will provide even more insight into the game’s mysteries.

What type of build would y’all recommend for my first dominating run? Sorry for rambling on….

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I’ve heard a similar build with an assault rifle would be even more effective but maybe not play much different? More strength would enable heavier armor and greater threat range at the sacrifice of mobility I assume.

Try a SI (Survival Instincts) AR build. Add TM into the mix and just kill it all to death through 100% crit chance. Crit bonus damage is then the most important stat.

jackofshadows

Magister
Yeah, try SI AR or SI pistol build (or SI SMG even) coupled with TM. Feel the powa meaning don't worry about playing yourself in the corner when your game's time is rather limited judging by your previous posts. And there will be quite a lot of satisfaction anyway since you still have to learn to play more efficiently than you have been playing the first time. Alternatively, take sniper w/o SI, with the ambush/TM, also quite powerful if more rng depended. Wouldn't recommend melee tbh for now.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Alternatively, take sniper w/o SI, with the ambush/TM, also quite powerful if more rng depended.

AR has such a great synergy with sniper rifles that there's little point in not doing a hybrid build. Except for intentionally gimping your character.

Stealth, approach, Shooting Spree, Snipe, Aimed Shot. If any of the two shots fail, take Adrenaline/TM and start bursting.

You don't even need to actually be invisible from the target.

With Versatility SMGs, you can't do all of: Full-Auto (+ Muzzle Brake + Rapid Reloader), decent AGI, INT, SI. Having to take Jumping Bean + TM haste is too painful (I've tried it for machetes). At least it's very light on feat points.

Last edited:

Zeem

Learned
Alternatively, take sniper w/o SI, with the ambush/TM, also quite powerful if more rng depended.

AR has such a great synergy with sniper rifles that there's little point in not doing a hybrid build. Except for intentionally gimping your character.

Stealth, approach, Shooting Spree, Snipe, Aimed Shot. If any of the two shots fail, take Adrenaline/TM and start bursting.

You don't even need to actually be invisible from the target.

With Versatility SMGs, you can't do all of: Full-Auto (+ Muzzle Brake + Rapid Reloader), decent AGI, INT, SI. Having to take Jumping Bean + TM haste is too painful (I've tried it for machetes). At least it's very light on feat points.
ARs don't need snipers, though, they're excellent on their own. Plus the usual meta strat is to have two ARs - a low AP one as your primary and a 9mm one with muzzle brake to make the most out of the free Commando burst.

Zeem

Learned
God now I want to play a Tin Can Burst AR again. Fuck.

Which is the best Hornet with RR? I was thinking 762, but maybe 8.6mm might be good too.
Yeah, I used 8.6 Hornet w/ RR for a 10 AP per shot rifle on my first full run. 8.6 is good early on to help against armor and later on to make use of incendiary ammo. 7.62 allows you to burst three times every turn as long a Commando procs - 27 AP on the first burst, +6 AP from two Commando specs, free burst, then another 27 AP one.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Full auto plus muzzle on a hornet is pretty damn brutal. I used to go Chimera because I loved that thing and used to crit monster with it. But I won't this time. Just pure unadulterated brutality. Steel Rain baby. Steel Rain.

jackofshadows

Magister
Not sure what exact sinergy are you talking about. ARs require at least a few dedicated feats and sniper build absolutely can afford that but it's not necessary. You can kill pretty much everything with your trusted spearhead if you want to. Although in my dom sniper run I used shotguns as a support wep and it was fine. Took sixth shell but that was a mistake, not much value out of that feat was obtained.

And if you've missed your spree in a really tough fight you're fucked anyway. In a usual encounter you can always re-stealth and try again legitimaly.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Not sure what exact sinergy are you talking about. ARs require at least a few dedicated feats and sniper build absolutely can afford that but it's not necessary. You can kill pretty much everything with your trusted spearhead if you want to. Although in my dom sniper run I used shotguns as a support wep and it was fine. Took sixth shell but that was a mistake, not much value out of that feat was obtained.

And if you've missed your spree in a really tough fight you're fucked anyway. In a usual encounter you can always re-stealth and try again legitimaly.

With AR + Sniper + TM, you can kill everything that's right on top of you in a single turn. Regardless of whether it's 10 Lurkers or 5 tin cans. Sniper can't do that if Shooting Spree misses.

When using AR + Sniper and Shooting Spree misses, you can still haste and kill that one enemy that one-shots or incapacitates you through a few bursts or basic shots. All that you need is Shooting Spree + 1 spec point, and Snipe. Aimed Shot you already have. You can also cast Stasis and kill everything in two turns anyway. So you're not fucked.

Knifegaf

Novice

With AR + Sniper + TM, you can kill everything that's right on top of you in a single turn. Regardless of whether it's 10 Lurkers or 5 tin cans. Sniper can't do that if Shooting Spree misses.

When using AR + Sniper and Shooting Spree misses, you can still haste and kill that one enemy that one-shots or incapacitates you through a few bursts or basic shots. All that you need is Shooting Spree + 1 spec point, and Snipe. Aimed Shot you already have. You can also cast Stasis and kill everything in two turns anyway. So you're not fucked.

3 feats and a spec point to incorporate sniper into an AR build. Some might find it worth it but I don’t. Would rather not have to invest into 12+per and have a more rounded build. ARs don’t suffer from damage, be it single target or groups. Aimshot on AR is a big fat no

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
any inside info on last patch timeline? Feel like coming back to my meme spear guy with extra points added through haxing(nothing game breaking too much, just few extra points at char gen for spread thin character that wants to do too much. Also free feats like snooping)

Tigranes

Arcane
Full auto plus muzzle on a hornet is pretty damn brutal. I used to go Chimera because I loved that thing and used to crit monster with it. But I won't this time. Just pure unadulterated brutality. Steel Rain baby. Steel Rain.

So after 1000 hours of Underrail, I might finally try AR tin can. What's a classic setup to work off? 7 STR, max CON, Tungsten or SS armour? Full Auto, Commando, what else?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Ugh. Thematically if I'm going to tin can I'd rather not SI. Or is it just not viable without crits? I thought ARs were meant to be win button.

It's viable alright. Why not go for 9 ST and 95% armor penalty. It's not like you have to move or anything. And TM when you DO have to move. There's a nice synergy with Stasis/Burst.

With the lack of SI, I recommend the Spearhead as the backup weapon. It's OP with veterancy.

pizza_microwave

Liturgist
https://underrail.info/build/?HgMOA...QH2NOWWLCsyYRw4DinrsC4qGHBOKqigHisrsC4rWuBt-_

Playing right now with this build as I wanted to experience some ChemPistol action before I inevitably make a spear build for the last update which hopefully will give some love to spears. However I intend to ask what the hell is Persuasion good for? It just seems like such a redundant skill, I was looking at the Pers. checks in the game:

https://stygiansoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Persuasion

And none of them justify me putting points in this skill; maybe investing some at the start for a better starting weapon with Lucas, dodging the GMS fight is reasonable, but investing more than 10 points is a hard sell for me. Has anyone played a Pers build?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom