Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stoneshard - open world roguelike RPG - now available on Early Access

Brickfrog

Learned
This game might be kind of cool in 5 years or so.

It's probably good to remember that actual rogue likes have very long development cycles. Caves of qud has been in early access since like 2015. One day Stone Shard will have filled out skill trees, enemy factions, fishing, alchemy, divine worship, etc etc and itl be pretty good.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
heh, I guess the real stoneshards were the content updates we got along the way

notpl

Arbiter
This game might be kind of cool in 5 years or so.

It's probably good to remember that actual rogue likes have very long development cycles. Caves of qud has been in early access since like 2015. One day Stone Shard will have filled out skill trees, enemy factions, fishing, alchemy, divine worship, etc etc and itl be pretty good.
This isn't normal or acceptable. Caves of Qud is another extremely notable example of failed development and broken promises - HOWEVER, Caves of Qud was more of a game at EA launch than this will ever be.

Brickfrog

Learned
Acceptable to who? You?
Slow development doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't stop. Project zomboid launched ten years ago and just recently cracked top ten most played on steam (and still isn't out of early access).

As long as development continues at a steady pace and the game looks promising, I don't really care if it takes a decade to get all the features in.

Again, slow progress is pretty normal for this genre, so I'm used to it.

Last edited:

Salvo

Arcane
Acceptable to who? You?
Slow development doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't stop. Project zomboid launched ten years ago and just recently cracked top ten most played on steam (and still isn't out of early access).

As long as development continues at a steady pace and the game looks promising, I don't really care if it takes a decade to get all the features in.

Stoneshard has had anything but a steady pace, I'm pretty disillusioned at this point

Brickfrog

Learned
Acceptable to who? You?

Stoneshard has had anything but a steady pace, I'm pretty disillusioned at this point
I mean I'm looking at the steam page for it and I'm seeing weekly updates since last summer

notpl

Arbiter
Acceptable to who? You?
Slow development doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't stop. Project zomboid launched ten years ago and just recently cracked top ten most played on steam.

The thing is, it never takes "a decade to get all the features in" because if you aren't a crook it just doesn't take that long. You're either competent and honest and things progress on a reasonable timetable like the rest of the software world or the project is a vaporware kickstarter scam.

Brickfrog

Learned
It has taken project zomboid more than a decade to finish all of its stated features at launch and its sitting towards the top of the steam charts right now.

famous vaporware scam "dwarf fortress" etc.

Last edited:

Brickfrog

Learned
Stone shard will probably need at least another 2-3 years to cook at this rate but as long as the devs are updating continuously I don't think it's time to turn doomer.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
It has taken project zomboid more than a decade to finish all of its stated features at launch and its sitting towards the top of the steam charts right now.

famous vaporware scam "dwarf fortress" etc.
They're still farting around with the same - literally half-finished - skill tree they already had three and a half years ago though. And it's not even an extensive one. So gameplay wise, very little has changed.

You praise them for weekly updates, but what they, so very, very slowly, add now was promised - full and completed - many months ago in an already often delayed 'Big City of Gold update'.

Meanwhile, they downright delete big threads on their steam forum criticizing the slow development. None of this looks good, tbh.

Brickfrog

Learned
What you are describing sounds like slow and steady progress that will result in a complete game a few years down the line if the devs keep at it. Updates coming late is just not super concerning to me as long as they show consistent work. Iv dumped hundreds of hours into qud and it's updates have been excruciatingly slow over the last seven years or so. I just don't mind.

I don't give a shit about them banning people from a forum no one reads lmao what are you talking about man. I don't care how mean the devs are to people on their forum. I would play an RPG made by Hitler if it had a good simulated limb damage system.

Last edited:

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
What you are describing sounds like slow and steady progress that will result in a complete game a few years down the line if the devs keep at it. Updates coming late is just not super concerning to me as long as they show consistent work.

I don't give a shit about them banning people from a forum no one reads lmao what are you talking about man. I don't care how mean the devs are to people on their forum. I would play an RPG made by Hitler if it had simulated limb damage.
I'd play an RPG made by Hitler to support his future projects. Them being 'mean' is not the point.

The point is they seem very dishonest and pretty basic and often requested stuff is missing that you'd think an engaged dev would have no problem to add in a reasonable amount of time.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
wtf, seriously I think some games are designed to never actually come out of EA on purpose

In the case of Stoneshard, it seems more like a case of poor project management and inability to keep a lid on feature creep.

Probably doesn't help they have an insanely autistic fanbase who constantly demand they add inconsequential rubbish rather than finishing the core game.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I've yet to make up my mind on whether I like Stoneshard, but the fact that an early access pixel game has outsold basically every good indie rpg (Underrail, ATOM, possibly Battle Brothers, etc) in the last x years is somewhat upsetting.

Salvo

Arcane
I've yet to make up my mind on whether I like Stoneshard, but the fact that an early access pixel game has outsold basically every good indie rpg (Underrail, ATOM, possibly Battle Brothers, etc) in the last x years is somewhat upsetting.
Graphics. Cutesy, pixel art, retro graphics.
The graphics / art style are REALLY good imo, the various pieces of armour are a pleasure to look at

just

Liturgist
i regret buying this game like no other
wish i could give it to someone but cant even do that
no refunds

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom