Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

Delterius

Arcane
every patch a new punchline, yet the players don't get the hint
Well, this sort of thing happens when you're past a certain age
30041.jpg

i defer to your superior comedic knowledge

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Do people actually play this?

They are, if the gameplay is about cultists throwing money and dropping to their knees.

Well myself and others I know are backers who like Asmodi will most likely keep backing this game until we don't. Not all backers are angry game stockers spouting gloom. Some of us really like that things are starting to shape up and even investing more. infact if you look at pot upgrades the last few months I think you will see that people are still pumping a lot of money into supporting it. the game population well small is increasing and money has been increasing. its already hit its plateau for lowest point so its all uphill if you look at metrics now. all they need now is more players which nw has provided the last increase ;)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Since you can supposedly play offline I might take my computer to the library and download and patch the bitch yo try offline. MIGHT! I don't think I could stomach online ridiculous housing. I imagine the game is so sparse of players that online is like playing alone in a basemrnt offline.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
The devs considered removing the API because people used the stats in thou hast lost an eighth.

Guys, I'm going to keep it around. I'm just looking at making some changes or limit its access so it is used to improve the game and the community. Right now it creates some hostility because it gives some players who are technical enough to use it an advantage and the results of their findings aren't shared. Additionally, some others use it to try and make projections on the game's health and spread negative rumors based on the tiny sliver of data they have. The public API was created so people can use it to build more meaningful websites for players to access, not as a way for players to try and maximize revenue for themselves or poison players with false information.

Should we tell them they don't work at Portalarium anymore?

Some are finally putting it together.
I'm tempted to ask during the next AskADev to see if Chris is willing to address the speed st which E2 is being implemented. I know the devs are doing the best they can, but I think the fact that we're looking at approximately 5-7 years per episode is concerning. Is there going to be a much of a market for a twenty year old game around the time E5 is under way? I mean, if SotA had been the hit WoW or UO were, then probably. But that's not where we are. Plus, if the game had been that successful, the team would probably have grown considerably, and speed would be less of an issue.

Should we tell them they don't work at Portalarium anymore?

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
From time to time I wanna unsub from this thread but the morbid curiosity consistently wins me over. What's this API drama? We can actually glimpse at how many ppl play it?

Eli_Havelock

Learned
From time to time I wanna unsub from this thread but the morbid curiosity consistently wins me over. What's this API drama? We can actually glimpse at how many ppl play it?

The start of this story goes back to Portalarium's first game, before this, before Ultimate Collector, to a Facebook Poker game called Sweet-Ass Poker. Video poker best symbolizes how they have been trying to bluff with impressive-sounding use numbers, but really will not disclose the real CCU on the front page like Runescape has the balls to do. As a result, the cultists are down to tribal shit like counting scrolls used to establish how well they are in life.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...went-up-to-very-positive.166360/#post-1307078

Noticed only 23 people from my friend's list logged in.

Checked SteamCharts to see playership at an all time low.
Neither of those are any reliable source of how active the game is. There is one thing you can however see in the game. Click the new Leaderboards (Click Window Selector>Leaderboards). Click the Consumables Category, then select the 30 Days button.

Currently in the last 30 days, 43,380 Teleport to Zone Scrolls have been consumed.... That's a lot.....

Official admission is that 1/4 to 1/3 log in through Steam, but given the population reports from both Steam and in-game and that the devs are lying shitbags, it's more like 1/2 to 2/3. It's been an absolute bluff for years to hide that this game never had a population befitting Richard Garriott's coining of MMORPG to claim first over others and that it's dwarfed by the CCU of furry fuck MUDs. Yes, it now begs to hit triple digits in CCU, only hitting that when Lord British shows up again after his usual long absences.

This message brought to you by LOL Google spidering; now you know why Origin was systemically nuked from existence - there was grudge for the millions wasted on "UO2".

Humbaba

Arcane
How rich is Rich anyway? The Ultima money must've dried up ages ago. It's gotta be his Clinton-Crew wife that brings home the bacon at this point.

Hobknobling

Learned
How rich is Rich anyway? The Ultima money must've dried up ages ago. It's gotta be his Clinton-Crew wife that brings home the bacon at this point.

Making more money when you already have a ton of it is incredibly easy. Very low risk investments bring in dough at a steady rate.

He also managed to pull this off:

In July 2010, an Austin District Court awarded Garriott US$28 million in his lawsuit against NCSOFT, finding that the company did not appropriately handle his departure in 2008. In October 2011, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit affirmed the judgment.

Eli_Havelock

Learned

Making more money when you already have a ton of it is incredibly easy. Very low risk investments bring in dough at a steady rate.

For one, get every moron who didn't learn from Tabula Rasa to pay for your own game's development (and to bail out your company).

He also managed to pull this off:

In July 2010, an Austin District Court awarded Garriott US$28 million in his lawsuit against NCSOFT, finding that the company did not appropriately handle his departure in 2008. In October 2011, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit affirmed the judgment.

Between Richard and his brother Robert as CEO of NCSoft NA giving him a blank check before then, they were effectively robbing that publisher blind to the point they were trying to get rid of him. The same was going on for EA with "UO2" pissing millions to the wind before anyone there had the idea it would have been in competition with UO itself. Every time he had a "kewl idea" it resulted in even more mess and delay in delivering anything. Nepotism like hiring on Starr Long and Chris Spears after TR just torpedoed any hope for this to be any good.

Now there is no publisher to blame, so most of the cult is huddled around their stand-in cult leader's feet as if they are going to do anything but release absolute garbage, still blaming every other company for being shitty when it's really been Lord Brexit and his followers all along.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Its funny how it didn't take shadow lords, the dark 3, blackthorn, or the guardian to take him down but old fashioned greed and not giving a shit. What a Lord! Just such a great icon in gaming history.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
As a result, the cultists are down to tribal shit like counting scrolls used to establish how well they are in life.

Well, to be fair, MILITARY INTELLIGENCE uses this method all the time.
:neveraskedforthis:
Official admission is that 1/4 to 1/3 log in through Steam, but given the population reports from both Steam and in-game and that the devs are lying shitbags, it's more like 1/2 to 2/3.

A very respectable 54.9 in the past month! :lol:
upload_2022-1-27_14-33-18.png

Just 40% less than Secret World Legends!
upload_2022-1-27_14-34-18.png

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Did ya'll know that Richard follows Whoopie on twitter?
lmao, like Whoopie Goldberg? You can tell just from LB's face that he watches The View, the show people start to watch when they've reached the age where you given up all hope and passion, resigning to content mediocrity. He silently agrees with the mainstream American Democrat political takes, nodding and sipping wine. This is the point of no return - when a man or woman officially becomes a completely hopeless reprobate.

I wonder if any of the other Ultima devs turned out any better, if not financially then otherwise. Is Dr. Cat still ERPing in MUDs?

One thing that always confused me about this game is a question. Is the game supposed to be set in the Britannia of Ultima or some weird bastardized version of it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom