Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Unknown Realm: The Siege Perilous - an 8-bit RPG for PC and Commodore 64

Acrux

Arcane
It does and it's a great disappointment that they are basically running a scam.

On a positive note, SKALD has a similar look and is in active development

There's also a demo available.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
2022. :negative:
It looks amazing, though.

Hang in there, by the time this game is released many other currently-unknown better games will have been announced, developed, and released.* At least these devs can offer the assurance to developers "at least we're not as bad at ____ as SDG" even if it came at the hit to crowdfunding trust because Bruce and Laura can't honor their part of actual believable updates.

Corven will likely have something that could pose as a 1.0 by then, too.

* - I am being Positive by suggesting there might be a game to be shown, even if it currently can't be shown because the dog ate it. That's how it works, right?

Eli_Havelock

Learned
They could show updates for any of their merch and other products.

The rest gets a lot of song and dance and stories, but there is an exception. SDG got into the holiday spirit by pulling together all the little bits from the rare times they would actually stop acting like a rockstar developer to actually be a developer, seeming a little bitter that they couldn't even keep to a Patreon model, and so keep trying excuses that must really work somewhere. Just like they have, with that work ethic, possibly have once worked somewhere. Both places need to be found and examined.

Hi @Chris Collins,

We posted this earlier this week in the comments here but it already got buried. This is some of the stuff we have shared in various places this year regarding the game...

- We are still working on game content to get it closer to beta and then closed beta testing will begin.

- As we mentioned in our Q&A video update, in the last year, we’ve had to pivot to working on the game part time, while finding other ways to provide for our family. The efforts we’ve made so far to help sustain full time dev on U.R. haven’t produced the results we hoped they would…

- The SDG Guild doesn't bring in enough to sustain full time work, but it does help us keep the internet working and the website up (barely). Our goal is to find a way to get back to working full time on the game so we can get it done as quickly as possible and give a more concrete timeline of when the game can be finished. Everyone knows you can’t cheat the man hours required to finish a game. There’s no shortcuts unless you want to release in early access or chapters, which just doesn’t make sense for this game.

- Do we know when the will be completed? No. And unlike other developers, we're not going to make up a release date just to keep people off our backs, or make you feel better. Does that mean we don't have a plan to finish the game? Also no. You can know exactly how many miles it will take you to get from point A to point B, but you still have to have the means to fill your gas tank in order to make the journey.

- We have poured a lot of love into this project and the only reason why we continue to show up is because we know that a lot of people a really looking forward to this game (as evidenced by how many of you keep checking the comments here every day ;-)). It's worth seeing it through to the end. If a few of you don't believe us when we say that...well...there's not much else we can do, is there?

We know Unknown Realm will be a fun, unique game and we know that it resonates with a lot of people in a deep way, so we will keep pressing on until we reach the goal.

For quick reference, here's a run down of some of the things we've shared over the last year or so.

automap feature: https://vimeo.com/461597955 and

https://twitter.com/IndieLauraSDG/status/1309267435522981890?s=20

music samples: https://twitter.com/IndieLauraSDG/status/1407538135571910665?s=20

screenshots of what the game used to look like before KS: https://twitter.com/IndieLauraSDG/status/1332853990535565313?s=20

bruce working on the game: https://twitter.com/IndieLauraSDG/status/1320601440755175424?s=20

In-game signage gif: https://twitter.com/IndieLauraSDG/status/1299871081814138880?s=20

gif from pre-alpha: https://twitter.com/IndieLauraSDG/status/1280224589411303424?s=20

gif is older but tilecount update is current: https://twitter.com/IndieLauraSDG/status/1265129399612895233?s=20

If you want to help support us via the Guild, you can sign up here: https://stirringdragon.games/tavern-talk/membership-registration/

- If you're coming here to complain at us for "not posting updates" but haven't watched the Q&A we did last year, I can't help you. Posted here: https://youtu.be/0PompdvXe5g

If you're interested in understanding what's happened with this project and where we're coming from, watch it and then come talk to us.

So far every single person complaining that we're not being "transparent" has NOT watched that update video. The information we shared is still relevant today and may provide answers to several of the most common questions we get.

We wish you all a safe and happy holiday season.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well you still have this for the Holidays:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Christmas+Tree.gif

• Asgard Gamewerks7 days ago
    It's that time of year for me when it gets cold outside in the upper Midwest and I tend to spend less time further north at my off grid cabin, and more time at home in my man-cave playing retro computer games and working on indie table top games my wife and I design and publish part time.

Currently I started playing through The Legend of Blacksilver on the C64, and I can't help but think of Unknown Realms and my strong desire to play it, like I have played some other indie retro CRPG releases that came out the past few years.

I don't know what the future holds. I will try to be hopeful that someday I will get to play it.

For now I am reliving some retro classics.

• 5fe0caf80335e95a385778896545cbaf_original.jpg

Chris Collins12 days ago
    Any update?

Showing 6 of 9 replies
    • missing_user_avatar.png

brandonsvsu11 days ago
      I would also like to clarify that I don't care if this were to take 1 year, 5 years, or 10 years to complete. The delays aren't what are annoying me. It is the way they have chosen to communicate. If they had simply said early on once it was clear that there was no way this was going to be done for the foreseeable future that it might be years, and then give us an actual detailed status update like once every 6 months, I would have been fine with that and wouldn't be giving them nearly as hard of a time in here. But I find their communications to be anything other than forthright.

Claudio11 days ago
      @brandonsvsu

I don't want to sound too bad, but I think it is still being kept "alive" in the hope that someone will make the monthly subscription on their site!

Otherwise I think we would not have heard from them for some time.

Claudio11 days ago
      ... I agree. For me, it might as well wait a few more years, but I would like to be INFORMED.

See updates, progress, see what's being done.

Some supporters in an attempt to defend them, have mentioned the System Shock game, too bad there is a demo there, there are UPDATES where PROGRESS are explained.

We have had nothing here for years. Let's be serious.

Since the campaign ended in 2017, everything we had that was "concrete" was basically summarized in the last "update". A 30 second video, some pictures, some animated GIFs and that's it.

Very little to be confident!

Nobody knows what was done in 2021 and if something was actually done (if I'm not mistaken, we only have one piece of music and that's it)

• 9cdea1504241cfc8f849c9f96bb461ce_original.png

Stirring Dragon GamesCreator11 days ago
      Hi @Chris Collins,

We posted this earlier this week in the comments here but it already got buried. This is some of the stuff we have shared in various places this year regarding the game...

- We are still working on game content to get it closer to beta and then closed beta testing will begin.

- As we mentioned in our Q&A video update, in the last year, we’ve had to pivot to working on the game part time, while finding other ways to provide for our family. The efforts we’ve made so far to help sustain full time dev on U.R. haven’t produced the results we hoped they would…

- The SDG Guild doesn't bring in enough to sustain full time work, but it does help us keep the internet working and the website up (barely). Our goal is to find a way to get back to working full time on the game so we can get it done as quickly as possible and give a more concrete timeline of when the game can be finished. Everyone knows you can’t cheat the man hours required to finish a game. There’s no shortcuts unless you want to release in early access or chapters, which just doesn’t make sense for this game.

- Do we know when the will be completed? No. And unlike other developers, we're not going to make up a release date just to keep people off our backs, or make you feel better. Does that mean we don't have a plan to finish the game? Also no. You can know exactly how many miles it will take you to get from point A to point B, but you still have to have the means to fill your gas tank in order to make the journey.

- We have poured a lot of love into this project and the only reason why we continue to show up is because we know that a lot of people a really looking forward to this game (as evidenced by how many of you keep checking the comments here every day ;-)). It's worth seeing it through to the end. If a few of you don't believe us when we say that...well...there's not much else we can do, is there?

We know Unknown Realm will be a fun, unique game and we know that it resonates with a lot of people in a deep way, so we will keep pressing on until we reach the goal.

For quick reference, here's a run down of some of the things we've shared over the last year or so.

automap feature: https://vimeo.com/461597955 and

https://twitter.com/IndieLauraSDG/status/1309267435522981890?s=20

music samples: https://twitter.com/IndieLauraSDG/status/1407538135571910665?s=20

screenshots of what the game used to look like before KS: https://twitter.com/IndieLauraSDG/status/1332853990535565313?s=20

bruce working on the game: https://twitter.com/IndieLauraSDG/status/1320601440755175424?s=20

In-game signage gif: https://twitter.com/IndieLauraSDG/status/1299871081814138880?s=20

gif from pre-alpha: https://twitter.com/IndieLauraSDG/status/1280224589411303424?s=20

gif is older but tilecount update is current: https://twitter.com/IndieLauraSDG/status/1265129399612895233?s=20

If you want to help support us via the Guild, you can sign up here: https://stirringdragon.games/tavern-talk/membership-registration/

- If you're coming here to complain at us for "not posting updates" but haven't watched the Q&A we did last year, I can't help you. Posted here: https://youtu.be/0PompdvXe5g

If you're interested in understanding what's happened with this project and where we're coming from, watch it and then come talk to us.

So far every single person complaining that we're not being "transparent" has NOT watched that update video. The information we shared is still relevant today and may provide answers to several of the most common questions we get.

We wish you all a safe and happy holiday season.

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
It's clearly a scam. Their latest trick is posting shit like "If you want to see the latest status, watch every minute of our 90 minute video on vimeo". That video is 90 minutes of absolutely nothing. If you reply that the video has no concrete info at all in it, they reply with "you clearly wouldn't believe us even if we showed the game running right in front of your eyes". Then they list a bunch of excuses about how they used all the money up to pay living expenses and have been forced to work on the game part time, because their new scams endeavors didn't work.

Hope they freeze to death on the streets over the holidays!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I had not looked at posts (updates nada)
"Only backers can post comments.

• Randy Cornetta6 days ago
    You guys stole $126,343 and never delivered a product.

• 9cdea1504241cfc8f849c9f96bb461ce_original.png

Stirring Dragon GamesCreator5 days ago
      Stole? No. This is crowdfunding, not consumer retail. You donated money to support the development of a game which is exactly what your money was used for. That game is not done yet, we’re still working on it and we will deliver it when it’s done.

• Randy Cornetta5 days ago
      I got my money back from Amex. I hope others that “donated” are able to do the same. 5 years is unacceptable especially when you promised that it would be done in 2017.

• Claudio3 days ago
      @Randy Cornetta

Yes, see you next year for the good wishes!

• Marc Maurer
    8 days ago
    Just stopped by to say happy funding anniversary! Where does the time go? Good work, good luck, and see you next year!"
So, they're still working on it.
:smug::smug::smug::smug::smug: .... riggghhhhtttt!

The biggest issue by far is lack of updates and transparency on what is being done.

So, if they aren't working regular jobs and not working on this game then what the hell are they doing?

other scams? Like what???

Last edited:

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Maybe looking into NFTs

New Forgettable Trend? Not even that would fund SDG enough to make a real update about the actual state of development, without it becoming a new excuse for them to malinger upon. Now they're trying to pretend that there's no contractual obligations on their part, it was all just "donations". (quoted above, here's the link). Read the KS ToS, assbags.

It's been 2 years since the last time they tried selling the KS backers on any pretense of putting out the ongoing dumpster fire to gouge with their exclusive guild membership true belieber club, with the last post promoting a video update of a lot of excuses but nothing else of the actual game or actual update shown.

Don’t worry - they’ll have to kill us before we give up on this game. ;)

True indeed - it's back to JollyDickoff 2 being more likely than a real update, and that's their game.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Perhaps if they'd have moved to Colorado or where it was they went before they blew all that money out of their asses they'd have a game to show for it.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Why the fuck not show us the development and what they're doing via vlogging? I'd suspect that they are just being liars as many developers aren't that secretive about what the hell they're doing. Even subverse releases shit and it has a hell of a lot more to it than a c64 game. Neither twitter feed has anything of importance.

Eli_Havelock

Learned

See? I told everyone those things would become another bubble cat-ass-trophy like every other investment fad.

Why the fuck not show us the development and what they're doing via vlogging? I'd suspect that they are just being liars as many developers aren't that secretive about what the hell they're doing. Even subverse releases shit and it has a hell of a lot more to it than a c64 game. Neither twitter feed has anything of importance.

Even Cleveland Mark Blakemore had more to show and say about Grimoire over the years, that the question was when it would be released, not a question of it even existing beyond some mockups to bait crowdfunders. Instead of showcasing anything from their game, SDG's tactic is to malinger and act how tough it is to be indie gamedev, hoping that everyone would forget how SDG could show off updates for JollyDickoff and their "feelie" campaign of bad merchandising, because how the hell can you merchandise a game everyone really knows fuck-all about besides your pitch to ply easy money from terminal cases of nostalgia goggles?

The other devs smiling in the crowdfunding circlejerk know what's up, and really should speak out about the disgraceful acts they once cross-promoted.

Last edited:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Oh hey, another game I vaguely remember from Steam greenlight days. It's been a few years, let's see how development went. Lemme just read the last few pa-

:negative:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Eventually they'll dry up and blow away like all dead-end crowdscammers do. At least we have Nox Archaist and SKALD.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
New title. "Unknown Results: The Squeeze Perilous"
Unless SDG would like to prove their claims of how the money was used with some transparency - before the IRS are invited to. (They'll probably just nail themselves up to another cross instead.)
How much longer until they beg for more money to keep crowdfunding their crosses and JollyDisk 2? Will their super cool guild club get a VIP tier system?

They can't just dry up and blow away yet!

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Someone went there again in the KS comments.

In all seriousness, are there any other examples of kickstarter projects where the developers snub their backers and make a complete mockery out of what Kickstarter is supposed to be than the developers on this project? I've seen spectacularly failed projects, and I've seen complete lack of communication, but I've never seen anything quite like what is going on here. The way which the devs have chosen to communicate and not communicate things is beyond unacceptable.

SDG> _
1. Answer
2. Dodge
3. Flee

I've seen a similar act - FleetCOMM.
Oh, wait, even that could show more development despite stalling with more believable excuses. :lol:

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
People are trying to get $$$ back but this is a very valid point tgat will be ignored:

"Tina TiptonSuperbacker5 days ago
This is the husband.

If it's true this is still being worked on, where's the official update? the last one is two years old!!! Post something officially and show us what's been done/changed in the last 24 months.

Is that so hard?"

And I relook at this video and notice: UNLISTED

Clearly they never intended to keep people updated. They say there is work but no proof even if a single pixel was added or a letter or number written in the manual.

Transparency is the best issue when you offer something and take money. Otherwise... you look like scammers and liars. Do they even have kids? Are they really a couple? Is that really their house? Who the hell know if they have dozens or hundreds of scams lined up. I try to be optimistic but they look worse than that mmo scam those two blokes fuck around with. ... something world or other. At fucking least they actually put something up but it is utter shit.

NOTE: it says video NOT AVAILABLE but if you click its youtube link it will pop up.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom