Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games bashed by mainstream that are good

Texas Red

Whiner
I know of Hammer and Sickle which was universally bashed but many Codexers report high difficulty and a lot of C&C. Apparently the reviewers were just confused by these aspects.

SoZ is another games. Reviewers stopped playing before reaching the Sword Coast where the game really started.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
godhand1.jpg

"I suck at this game therefore it sucks"

Andhaira

Arcane
A game I would like to nominate btw is Budokan. It was pretty tough and had a wonky control scheme, but overall was a great little gem.

HIIII YAAAA!!

Hobo Elf

Arcane
AndhairaX said:
Actually god hand was pretty boring.

Thinking it's boring is one thing. Bashing it because IGN gave it a 3/10 or because it's "too difficult" is just slightly sad.
I don't see how you could think God Hand is boring, though. Not unless you didn't know how to use the combat system to it's full potential.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hobo Elf said:
AndhairaX said:
Actually god hand was pretty boring.

Thinking it's boring is one thing. Bashing it because IGN gave it a 3/10 or because it's "too difficult" is just slightly sad.
I don't see how you could think God Hand is boring, though. Not unless you didn't know how to use the combat system to it's full potential.

Oh gods what happened to the gaming press, seriously?

Put some challenge into your game and BANG it sucks because it's too hard. WHAT THE FUCK.

Sir_Brennus

Scholar
Dark Individual said:
I know of Hammer and Sickle which was universally bashed but many Codexers report high difficulty and a lot of C&C. Apparently the reviewers were just confused by these aspects.

SoZ is another games. Reviewers stopped playing before reaching the Sword Coast where the game really started.

Change your Avatar. I thought you were Skyway.

Hammer and Sickle "universally bashed"? Gamestar (biggest mag in Germany) 77/100, PCPowerplay 71/100 - don't think so.

Fantasy General - PCGames (Germany) 86/100; PCPlayer (Germany) 83/100 - not bashed either

Storm of Zehir - Gamestar 81/100; IGN, 1Up and others awarded it 80+ scores. - no bashing here.

Regarding your question

- Heretic Kingdoms: The Inquisition
- Chosen - Well of Souls
- Neverend
- Hard to be a god
- Night Watch
- Wizardry Nemesis

come to mind.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
God Hand has an overall rating of 73 on Metacritic, that's far from bad

Yeah, I know, but the mainstream (audiance) still bases their opinion on the one bad score it got from IGN. It's funny, because if people actually would bother reading reviews instead of just look at the score, they'd see that the reviewer basically just bawwed at how hard the game was for him. What kind of journalism is that supposed to be?

Balor

Arcane
KOTOR 2, MOTB, Pathologic.
The latter did receive raving review at RPS, but that is not exactly 'mainsteam'... but, truth be told, the game is definetely not aimed at mainstream either.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Polanie 2 (known abroad as Knightshift in Yurp and Once Upon a Knight in the Kwa) is a Polish RTS placed in a medieval, pagan, slavic fantasy land. As far as I recall, it was hated by the western media because the cocks don't understand the setting and humour.

Durwyn

Prophet
Hobo Elf said:
Sir_Brennus said:
- Hard to be a god

I always wanted to read the book, but I only found it at ridiculous prices. Then I saw that it has been made into a game. What's the game like?

It's very mediocre, almost shitty. I wouldn't bother. Combat is shitty as hell, dialogues with two, three lines to choose, no c&c. Only the story and some quests (escape from camp, where you are a captive) are good. Plus eyefucking bloomy graphics.

Quilty

Magister
Not having played any NWN games except for MOTB (and disliking it for its overdone epic feeling at the very start of the game, since I prefer to build up my own character and not start all buffed up), what would you say was the appeal of SoZ? Or, if nobody feels like describing, has anybody got a link to a relatively objective review of it?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Darth Roxor said:
Polanie 2 (known abroad as Knightshift in Yurp and Once Upon a Knight in the Kwa) is a Polish RTS placed in a medieval, pagan, slavic fantasy land. As far as I recall, it was hated by the western media because the cocks don't understand the setting and humour.

Knight Shift was a fun RPG/RTS mix, I enjoyed it. Then, much later, I found some old DOS game in a game collection, I guess it was GOLD GAMES, from the early 90's. The game had cows as the only resource and exactly the same units as Knight Shift. I lol'd.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
JarlFrank said:
Knight Shift was a fun RPG/RTS mix, I enjoyed it. Then, much later, I found some old DOS game in a game collection, I guess it was GOLD GAMES, from the early 90's. The game had cows as the only resource and exactly the same units as Knight Shift. I lol'd.

Yes, that old game was called Polanie (which was also supahawesome). Knight Shift is a 'spiritual sequel' to that - in Poland it was titled Polanie 2.

Ash

Arcane
Good thread.

Game: Arx Fatalis (2002)

"it's a underwhelming Morrowind wannabe"
-game journos circa 2002

Too fucking dumb to understand what it actually is + not recognize the finer craftsmanship, even though both are great games. We need a great reset.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom