Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

None of the concept art released so far looks distinctive from any other space setting, except for how exceptionally lacking in character it is.
honestly, i'm perfectly fine with this. we already know the vanilla game is going to suck more than jenna jameson, having a clean slate on which to build something vaguely decent with a bunch of hundreds mods it's the best shot we have.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Diverse inside the walls. Homogenous outside?

Sounds like USA, except they got a wall.

Can't imagine how bad it will be inside when it is such a mess outside.

Go to your local gypsy camp and you have your answer.

Actually you will be surprised how clean it is in gypso houses. Poor people do have a lot of pride,also they beat their women if it is clean. But it is dirty outside the houses tho. Also gypsos are very conservative in many regards,don't care about muh freedom and liberalism lol. Also gypso ghettos are cleaner than most kwan cities.

The funny thing is that the lastest news from Star Citizen is that finally backers are slowly realizing that they were bamboozled and the game wont be released after Cloud Imperium developers removed pretty much 75% of the road map claiming people were making too much noise demanding a game that started development in 2011 should show consistent progress while Bethesda, that is one of the most technically incompetent developers of the entire gaming industry managed to release 3 games on that time frame and will release a space game with explorable planets before Chris Roberts.
That will be the best part of the game for sure.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
None of the concept art released so far looks distinctive from any other space setting, except for how exceptionally lacking in character it is.
honestly, i'm perfectly fine with this. we already know the vanilla game is going to suck more than jenna jameson, having a clean slate on which to build something vaguely decent with a bunch of hundreds mods it's the best shot we have.
I'm fine with this for completely different reasons. We don't need another game with zany "distinctive" new art direction. Sci-fi doesn't need flashy colors and wild ass architecture to be top tier.

218473.jpg
Looks b-o-r-i-n-g. Is actually good.

That's not to say that Starfield will definitely be good because the art design is conservative BUT a conservative art design CAN be a solid backdrop to excellent sci-fi.

depends on how lame they plan to be. if all they bring to the table are laser rifle, laser axe, laser knife, space dwarf and space elf, they should be beaten to death with a bag full of morrowind boxes but i'd be sort of glad if they can be easily and painlessly swapped out for something better made by modders who won't earn a dime and for this bethesda should be killed until it's dead.

Readher

Savant
I wonder if creating Asian-looking characters will be finally possible. In Fallout they look like not!Caucasians (FO3 and NV) or tired Italians (FO4 and FO76). Maybe Starfield will finally break that curse.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Skyrim in Space should be easy. Alien space tombs. Bandit satellite shootouts in zero gravity (just swimming with the water made invisible). Green glass space armor. Space dragons. Space nude mods. It's like everything they're releasing is deliberating boring.
Wouldn't those be potentially the most interesting and original parts ? I mean, read it again: "space nude mods". How often you can say that phrase aloud about any computer game?

To think more about it, and knowing the average player, about more than a few games. Mass Effect probably had more than a few of those, right?

I'm just shitposting, I don't intend to play it at all. Not with "space nude mods" and not without them.

I wonder if creating Asian-looking characters will be finally possible. In Fallout they look like not!Caucasians (FO3 and NV) or tired Italians (FO4 and FO76). Maybe Starfield will finally break that curse.
Don't be racist. Tired Italians (Homo fessus Italicus) are people too.

Last edited:

wishbonetail

Learned

That's not to say that Starfield will definitely be good because the art design is conservative BUT a conservative art design CAN be a solid backdrop to excellent sci-fi.

Words like excellent and sci-fi probably shouldn't be said in a Starfield thread no matter the context. It will all be just a reskinned phantasy, i presume. But, hey, it just works.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Caim

Arcane

Skyrim in Space should be easy. Alien space tombs. Bandit satellite shootouts in zero gravity (just swimming with the water made invisible). Green glass space armor. Space dragons. Space nude mods. It's like everything they're releasing is deliberating boring.
Already looking forward to zero g tiddy physics mods.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Invisible spacesuit

Caim

Arcane

Invisible spacesuit
Birthday spacesuit.

jimster

Educated
I'd much rather have a realisticish generic look than The Outer World's artstyle.. TOW was really difficult on the eyes, couldn't imagine it for 100s of hours.

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
I'm curious if Bethesda stans have learned their lesson after F76 and did not preorder this time around.

PS:Every Bethesda game deserves to be pirated for what they did to the Fallout series.

Robotigan

Learned
I think the aesthetic is on point.
Good heavens, no. Creativity is borne out of subtlety. Anyone can mash a bunch of crazy ideas together. That's how you get every mediocre anime, comic book, and video game. To make the fanciful seem plausible, one needs to keep things subdued.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Explore the artistic process in the latest Starfield video, featuring artist Mike Butkus hard at work on Starfield’s “Journey Through Space” art.

Do you want to win your very own high-quality print of the art seen in the video? All you have to do is become a member of the Constellation group by March 31, 2022, and you’ll be automatically entered to win. If you’re already a Constellation member, you’re all set! Once the deadline has passed, two members will be selected at random, and winners will receive an exclusive high-quality print signed by Mike Butkus and Game Director Todd Howard.

Starfield arrives exclusively on Xbox Series X|S and PC on 11.11.22. Play it day one with Xbox Game Pass.

Join Constellation  now and be among the first to receive news and updates on Starfield, including developer interviews and behind-the-scenes looks at the game. You can also join our Bethesda Game Studios Discord for access to exclusive AMAs and community conversations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom