Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[closed] Codex Best jRPGs Ever Poll

Gastrick

Cipher
Final Fantasy IX - 3 points
Final Fantasy VI - 3 Points
Persona 2 - 2 points
Chrono Trigger - 1 point
Lost Odyssey - 1 point

I've never been the biggest fan of this voting standard, because it forces me into popular ones (for various reasons)
But that's probably just my own problem.

I think regardless of how it is set up, these jrpg lists always end up with the same 10-15 super popular games on top of a ton of games voted for by 2-4 people.

His particular picks are, but the overall list is going to be different from the norm. Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Dragons Dogma and Nier Automata are looking to have high places on the overall top 10. Showing that the farther a jrpg deviates from the genre stereotypes, the better. One game that is always in the top 3 will be missing as well.

Chrono Trigger - 2
DQ VIII (ps2) - 2
FF XII International Zodiac Job System (ps2) - 2
The Legend of Heroes: Trails from Zero - 2
Dark Souls - 2

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Fire Emblem 4 - 2 points
Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 - 2 points
Tactics Ogre - 2 points
Ogre Battle 64 - 2 points
Shining Force - 2 points

boot

Prophet
Dragon's Dogma - 5 points
Lufia 2 - 1 point (Mystery Dungeon is awesome)
Souls games (all of them) - 2 points
Last Remnant - 1 point (very cool combat system)
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - 1 point

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
tl;dr - Codex poll, for jRPGs only

I must admit I'm vexed with how dismissive the hivemind tends to be towards the broadly defined jRPGs - sure, Rance had some exposure here, SMT is a household name, and Japanese Wizardries are a guilty pleasure of any decent individual. The few jRPGs which somehow make it to the usual GOTY lists are met with impressive whinging and second-guessing their nature as RPGs, as is customary everytime a new release shakes the market. Some very old step-based stuff gets a pass, because it's rare enough to warrant 'back in my days' attention.

People like all sorts of jRPGs, though, and I think we have never had an honest sit-down and decided which games are actually good. Time for a Best jRPGs poll - modelled after felipepepe and Deuce Traveler polls, only I'm not a mathematical savant, so we're going to keep the rules as clear and readable as possible.

Let me rip off the premise of the recent Best Vintage RPGs poll shamelessly, because I find it very fair:

Each Codex member gets to make one post allocating 10 points to a maximum of 5 games. You cannot allocate more than 5 of your points to any single game.™

You can nominate jRPGs only - games made in Japan, not games inspired by games made in Japan. It's a poll for Japanese games only. There's no limit on whether they were officially released in the West, fan TLs and untranslated games also apply.

Whether action-y like Ys, tactical like Ogre, training like Pokemon, or classic FIGHT/CAST/ITEM/RUN - any subgenre goes, as long as it's a jRPG, an RPG made in Japan.

To remove the FOTM factor, you can nominate games from the dawn of time up to Q4 2020. Yes, your 2021 releases are the best ever, but don't nominate them.

Since jRPG polls are so infrequent, this one is going to run a little longer than usual, for a wide number of posters to have a chance to vote:

Poll will be closed on March 12, Saturday, five weeks from now.
Results will be gathered and presented shortly after.

Final Fantasy VI - 3 points
Fire Emblem 7 - 3 points
Dark Souls - 2 points
Persona 4 - 2 points

Deflowerer

Arcane
Persona 1: 2 points
Vagrant Story: 2 points
Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne : 2 points
Bloodborne: 2 points
Nioh: 2 points

Lhynn

Arcane
Derr Langrisser: 4 points
Secret of mana 1: 1 points
Final fantasy 4: 1 points
Final fantasy 3-6: 2 points
Chrono trigger: 2 points

Falksi

Arcane

You're not referring to the SNES version of Der Langrisser are you?
Its all snes. Jrpgs havent been good since.

Dude, Der Langrisser on SNES is probably the worst version available of it. Yeah the C&C is nice, but the combat is baby-easy and it gets boring fast.

Personally I much prefer the reboot and more so the Megadrive version. Have you tried them?

Lhynn

Arcane

You're not referring to the SNES version of Der Langrisser are you?
Its all snes. Jrpgs havent been good since.

Dude, Der Langrisser on SNES is probably the worst version available of it. Yeah the C&C is nice, but the combat is baby-easy and it gets boring fast.

Personally I much prefer the reboot and more so the Megadrive version. Have you tried them?
I didnt, but It was in my snes emulator times. I enjoyed the class selection and the C&C, the story wasnt bad either.

shywn

Savant
I have a terrible track record when it comes to finishing games (I just kind of trail off by the midpoint), so I'll just vote for the two that I have finished. Points not representative. I'll update if I ever finish a third game.

Daraku no kuni no Angie - 5 points
Nails ~Beginning of your heart beat~ - 5 points

I don't think anybody else will vote for these games, but, well...

Pyreen

Educated
Wizardry Empire 2 Plus: 4 Pts.
SMT Strange Journey: 1 Pt.
Wizardry Tales of the Forsaken Land: 2 Pts.
DQ VII: 2 Pts.
Persona 2 IS, PSX version with fan translation: 1 Pt.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Dark Souls - 3 points
Final Fantasy Tactics - 3 points
Dragon's Dogma - 2 points
Dragonball Z: Super Saiya Densetsu - 1 point
Final Fantasy 7 - 1 point

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition - 5
Bloodborne - 2
FF: Tactics - 2
Pokemon Red/Blue - 1

Lucumo

Educated
Kichikuou Rance (PC) - 5
Persona 2: Tsumi (PS) - 2
Shin Megami Tensei (SFC) - 1
Ys VI - The Ark of Napishtim (PC) - 1
Final Fantasy IX (PS) - 1

Shinji

Savant
Final Fantasy IX - 2
Final Fantasy V - 2
Dragon Quest V - 2
Phantasy Star 1 - 2
Suikoden 2 - 2

Gastrick

Cipher
I can't vote with this restricting format. I have played too many games to pick only five.

One of those lists where you look through all JRPGs and give a score if you played it would work better. Like the year-end CRPG lists by Felipepe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom