Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Parabalus

Arcane
Beans00 what, you didn't like DC? :D

No I did not enjoy it at all.

It was however much easier then I was lead to believe it would be. Still needlessly tedious but I'm sure lots of fanboys still enjoyed running around spending hours picking up gate pieces and mutagens.

Overall enjoyed the game much more then I thought I would but DC sucked balls aside from the writing/lore which was again more interesting then I thought it would be.

Despite the DC fanboying here it was nerfed/'adjusted' in almost every patch since release, it used to be even bigger cancer.

jackofshadows

Magister

It was however much easier then I was lead to believe it would be. Still needlessly tedious but I'm sure lots of fanboys still enjoyed running around spending hours picking up gate pieces and mutagens.
On succession runs DC are just several additional areas to clear, nothing more. And by the way, collecting mutagens isn't necessary. What I did enjoy for my first time was oppressive atmosphere overall and the toughest encounter ever (the outpost which I decided to clear) with my sub-optimal build. Not to mention lore bits and figuring out bunch of new stuff.

Some people just tend to complain because the game is very, very long now and they do want for it to end by the moment they reach DC, that wasn't the case on release. Alas, I agree that the game has kinda too much content at this point.

Parabalus

Arcane

On succession runs DC are just several additional areas to clear, nothing more. And by the way, collecting mutagens isn't necessary. What I did enjoy for my first time was oppressive atmosphere overall and the toughest encounter ever (the outpost which I decided to clear) with my sub-optimal build. Not to mention lore bits and figuring out bunch of new stuff.

Some people just tend to complain because the game is very, very long now and they do want for it to end by the moment they reach DC, that wasn't the case on release. Alas, I agree that the game has kinda too much content at this point.

How about the mobs which used to respawn on entering/leaving areas?

If you didn't have stealth it was suicide fuel.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
sneak stabby.

I always plays with a build that sounds cool to me and don't care about it being optional or not. I loved to play UR as a Cryomancer focused psion with a .44 magnum revolver secondary weapon. It is not optimal but is pretty viable in normal and more important, fun to play.

Sykar

Arcane
So I've just destroyed the scrappers with the help of SGS for the first time (previous playthroughs, I either went pro-protectorate in general, or simply didn't have the persuasion skill needed). I noticed that Tanner mentioned estabilishing an SGS embassy in junkyard, but I cannot seem to find it. Does it actually get added there somewhere?
I believe you see continued SGS presence in the scrappers former hideout.
Also at the docks.

Beans00

Augur

. What I did enjoy for my first time was oppressive atmosphere overall Not to mention lore bits and figuring out bunch of new stuff.

I agree with those 2 points. My issues being

1. I really don't like scavenger hunts in any game ever.
2. Mutagens aren't really the problem since they're grouped together and pretty obvious to find aside from the ones in maria hopes room i guess. My biggest problem was the worm maze and that dumb ass mushroom forest.

The whole DC just seem tacked on. I'm pretty quick with beating games and it took me 57 hours to beat underrail(that's doing pretty much every sidequest and exploring everything). That's without expidition. The institute of Tchort felt like the end game, like the CoC did in fallout 1 or the enclave in fallout 2. It just felt like unnecessary busywork and aside from the chats with the faceless or the fight with tchort I felt like I gained nothing of value.

Now the question is how good is the DLC? It's been like a month since I played Underrail and I find myself craving more content. Can I do the DLC content after killing Tchort before turning in the end game? (My earliest save is before fighting tchort).

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Now the question is how good is the DLC?

It's good. Lots of new hazards and scavenging opportunities. There's no downside to joining the Pirates, so defect from the uptight North Underrail force.

Starting a new game is a good idea after the recent major updates.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
ive found a random bit of info on how to start phone booth quest. Havent done it myself since im in restart loop
use motion many times

Tigranes

Arcane
Ugh,OK. I build my plasma beam boy, saved, checked out the areas, and:

*Utility Station 6 - no telekinesis lunatic in the area.
*Upper caves random encounter has "Darkdwellers" instead, which I presume is rolled from the same table as the Azuridae. Reloading before first entering the area gives me no hole to jump into most of the time, and sometimes a hole to the Darkdwellers.

So - does the game calculate which random element loads in an area the first time you enter? Theoretically would reloading give a chance of Utility 6 or Azuridae hole spawning? Or is some of it determined per playthrough? Bit silly that the player's ability to use Plasma Beam is entirely dependent on whether they happened to level Metathermics when they come across it, or wait all the way for Grand Archives.

Nobody on this?

Seems weird, some things seem locked in at gamestart while others seem to load when you first enter the area... wonder how it works for some of the new SGS quests as well.

Tygrende

Arbiter

*Upper caves random encounter has "Darkdwellers" instead, which I presume is rolled from the same table as the Azuridae. Reloading before first entering the area gives me no hole to jump into most of the time, and sometimes a hole to the Darkdwellers.

So - does the game calculate which random element loads in an area the first time you enter? Theoretically would reloading give a chance of Utility 6 or Azuridae hole spawning? Or is some of it determined per playthrough? Bit silly that the player's ability to use Plasma Beam is entirely dependent on whether they happened to level Metathermics when they come across it, or wait all the way for Grand Archives.

Nobody on this?

Seems weird, some things seem locked in at gamestart while others seem to load when you first enter the area... wonder how it works for some of the new SGS quests as well.
I can't think of any random dungeons/events that are not determined per playthrough. It's all decided the moment you start a new game as far as I'm aware.

Tigranes

Arcane
I thought so, but reloading & entering the caves north of the Rail Crossing station seems to show or not show the "Jump In" hole differently each time.

Am I going to have to just go to god damn Grand Archives at level 12

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I started a 3-school psi build with no weapon skill other than a bit of throwing, and dammit the multischool psi cost penalty is annoying, deffo no powergaming reason to not go hybrid every time I reckon.
Why did styg implement a mechanic nerfing heavy psi, wasn't partial psi, like 70 Temporal, the really OP option? Also I can't find a damn doctor's belt anywhere even at level 14 on oddity!

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Good grief solving the emergency phone sequences is pure pain. All the tones sound the same.

EDIT: AND it plays static noise while the sequence plays out. Seriously, fuck this.

Last edited:

Utility Station 6 only opens after the Tchortists steal the cube. If it didn't you could access the Institute/DC early and that'd be weird.
You can also have high PER, think >11.
Night vision works too, for some reason. Pretty strange since NV doesn't help with any other secret, and nobody is ever going to randomly turn it on in just the right spot to find it. Styg showing mercy to people with low perception I guess.
Good grief solving the emergency phone sequences is pure pain. All the tones sound the same.
It's much easier if you have 12 perception since it outright tells you the sequence you need, so you just need to find the buttons that correspond to each number. If you don't have the perception for it then it's fucking awful. No more mercy for low perception. At least it's an easy stat to buff.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
It also completely resets you to the first sequence if you get the second or third sequence wrong. What kind of masochist is ever gonna put himself through this without 12 perception?

Yo Styg, only half of your players are autistic, man. Gotta look out for the neurotypical homies who also want to enjoy the new questline. Now excuse me while I'm off to suck some oligarch cawk.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
so I couldnt wait and in the end playing that dominating 3dex knife stabby with spear throw.

Im surprised how well it fits. Obviously there are feats: only one that doesnt work with spear throw is ripper. Quite crazy when you think about it. One thing I never quite connected is that spear throw triggers fancy footwork too! Its funny and surprisingly useful - it would be probably better for you totry it yourself over me explaining.
I always knew how fancy footwork works with sweep but I always looked at it as grimmick and considered sprint better. This does change things.
To continue, as stabby you obviously sneak with interloper. Spear throw with extra movement is quite amazing when you lack those few yellow points in first turn.
Next is cheap shots - you often find yourself doing 1:1 against whatever enemy. Its quite annoying when cheap shots trigger early in the turn and you wonder if its best to wait or continue stabbing. Spear throw gives you this amazing alternative where you just walk away and throw a spear - likely deadly finisher.

Its still early as I didnt even hit depot A but it does look promising. I did expect a grimmick, more like alternative to cut throat but instead im getting so much more

thesecret1

Arcane
Just did Dude's vision quest, with the Gray army base. Previous playthrough, I went there with female MC (which didn't specc into stealth) and I recall it being a massive pain in the ass with loads of savescumming and gunfighting and shit. So I came prepared with a male MC this time, ready for war, only to leisurely walk through the entire base, saluted by everybody, because I invested points in persuasion :lol: Love how different each playthrough is

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom