Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Maker Unite - new RPG Maker built on Unity

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

ss_5e72e629fa675bb6105ca8797c834af0b5ff868f.1920x1080.jpg

ss_cb3e2dbbcba697b875d7ed18404dcb1ae7d1d18c.1920x1080.jpg

Previous release (MV) was web tech-based, now it's running on Unity. Also 3D characters and pre-rendered background (as well as the existing tilemap system).

Announcing RPG Maker Unite - An Ambitious Project to use Unity for the next RPG Maker installment!
At Gotcha Gotcha Games, it is our sincerest wish to help aspiring game developers to create their own games without the many hurdles of game development. RPG Maker Unite is our latest endeavor to this mission.

RPG Maker series has always been known for its easy-to-use eventing system and user-friendly interface. We decided to up the ante further by using the great features of the highly popular Unity engine!

With RPG Maker Unite's codeless system and Unity's powerful features, the RPG of your dreams is closer than ever!

■What is “Maker series”?
The Maker series are game development software that dates as far back to the 1990s. We released multiple engines fitting different developer needs such as RPGs, Visual Novels, Action Games, and so on. While the past Maker titles were standalone software, we believe that with Unity's capabilities and our 30 years of experience in making visually forward engines, we can provide an experience that makes the game development process so much easier!

■Major Features:
●Create RPGs without coding!
With RPG Maker series' powerful command system and editable parameters, users will be able to rapidly create systems without any sort of coding knowledge!

●Beautiful resources to make compelling games!
Streamline your game development process further with our library of assets! From audio, characters, enemies, world biomes, and more, you can create a game immediately!

●An enhanced Map Editor!
Want to improve your maps further than before? RPG Maker Unite will also feature support for pre-rendered backgrounds and object-oriented map structures. Elevate your game's presentation with our new tools!

●Featuring an established and versatile Database System!
RPG Maker Unite, like its predecessors, will also provide a premade database that is necessary to create an RPG! It will include Character stats and classes, items, abilities, monsters and so much more! You can customize and add your entries to stand out!

Please stay tuned as more information become available!

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
I don't get it. How's this different to the latest RPGMaker engine's entry? MV was it? Can this finally let your sprite character move in a diagonal direction?
The placeholder art style is indeed shit.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The vast majority of users for RPGMaker is hyper casual. If you view RPGM as a playground for devs without programming knowledge, this is a good move as it essentially moves everything to Unity, and they'll learn C# instead of javascript. Unity is also much more flexible and useful for actual dev work than RPGM.

However, this will probably have no serious effect on current devs using either RPGM or Unity.

Unity is already very easy to learn, the reason any serious devs are sticking with RPGM rather than migrating their project over is mostly due to the library of extensive javascript plugins. Which this will be completely incompatible with.

Looks like the only interesting thing out of the box is that it might boost performance (not vital unless you're running a 3D plugin or simulating a star system's worth of NPCs) and native port to console.

I think the biggest thing you can expect from this is possibly plugins for more detailed 3D, and possibly even the first Skyrim clones to come out of RPGM.

:hmmm:

I don't get it. How's this different to the latest RPGMaker engine's entry? MV was it?

MZ came out around two years ago. It's a very incremental upgrade to MV.

Terra

Cipher
Despite RPG Maker's many limitations, its core systems & data handling are nothing to scoff at and are potentially serious time savers rather than having to code equivalents to everything yourself from scratch in Unity. Provided this takes the form of a typical asset and you can rip out only the useful bits of their systems for amalgamation into a larger Unity project, this could be a time saver for more seriious projects. Having to code up inventory, shops, levelling, conversation system, party management, variable storage, growth tables, etc all from scratch is a huge waste of time for projects, imo, nor is it particularly interesting.

Just a few days ago I was evaluating potential solutions versus rolling my own system, biggest competitor being ORK, the developer of which deprecates his software every so often, making you have to rebuy/upgrade the asset, which I can understand from a developer standpoint, but its still far from ideal. This is potentially of interest solely from its database capabilities being exposed in Unity for handling some of the above, will keep an eye on it. The RPG Maker underlying systems are arguably more robust/battle tested than other solutions in the asset store at least, and likely less prone to random deprecation/author drama, but we'll see.

Last edited:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I'll stick to MZ. I've done tons of work on my project that will likely never be finished anyways. L0L At least I got TWO of my 5-6 hour intros done. R00fles!

I likely alreayd spent more money on RPG Maker than I'd ever make back, anyways.

HAHAHAHA.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

Character movement looks awkward and the proportion makes it out of place.

Btw, they've been posting detailed dev logs on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1650950

They actually provide converter to turn 3D models into sprites.

d6ac45c283e765f88ce45d691dc54359dc6f0264.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom