Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games like Total War

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I love the gameplay of the Total War series, but recent games have strayed too far from the simulationist combat model (adding hitpoints to units, single entity units that can tank tons of damage, etc). I'm always interested in other games that play similarly to the TW games, so let's make a list of them.

What qualifies for this list:
- any game with simulationist real time tactical combat
- games that combine a strategic layer with a tactical combat layer; due to how rare they are, I will also accept turn based battles for those

Games that combine a strategic layer with RT battles

Obviously we got the Total War series itself. A simple strategic layer where you manage an empire, and whenever two armies meet you go into tactical battle mode.

Then there's Knights of Honor, an early 00s game that tries to combine Paradox style map painting with real time battles. It's pretty good.

King Arthur: The Role-Playing Wargame is less simulationist in its battles, but still combines empire management with real time battles. Also a good one.

War Leaders: Clash of Nations takes the classic (pre-Rome) Total War "chessboard" empire management and combines it with real time battles. It's set in WW2 and the concept is really cool, but... the battles are complete shit, and the game is a buggy mess. Waste of potential.

Aggression: Europe Under Fire is an ambitious game set during WW1 and WW2, where you lead your nation throughout the first half of the 20th century. Both the empire management and the battles are real time, but both modes are very mediocre. At least the battles have cool building destruction physics... but other than that, the game sucks.

The Graviteam Tactics series combines strategic troop movements with realistic real time battles. There's no empire building though, the games are focused on a regional scale where you command army groups in certain fronts of WW2. The interface takes a lot of getting used to but it's a great game with highly simulationist battles.

Games that combine a strategic layer with TB battles

If you combine Field of Glory: Empires with Field of Glory II, you have essentially a turn based Total War. FoG Empires is your average grand strategy without tactical battles, but whenever a battle happens you can import it into FoG2 which is a turn based tactics game, fight it out, and then export the results back into Empires. A bit awkward, but it works.

Games with only RT battles, no strategic layer

Ultimate General: Civil War is a great real time wargame set in the American Civil War. It has a "campaign" but that merely consists of a sequence of historical battles through which you command your own custom army, and in between battles you get to equip your troops, recruit new ones, etc. I love this one, it's great fun.

Scourge of War: Waterloo is a very grognardy real time wargame set in the battle of Waterloo. The interface takes a lot of getting used to, and you don't command entire armies but small sections, acting as an officer within a larger army rather than the mastermind of it all. It works pretty well and is a fun game.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Seven Years War and Grand Tactician. Both made by the same dev, both have tactical battles and strategic layer. Haven't played Seven Years War but Grand Tactician is goddamn great.

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Games that combine a strategic layer with RT battles
- Ancient Art of War and Ancient Art of War At Sea (1984 and 1987) are the first of the genre. AoWaS is even triple-layered : Strategic map, then real-time combat (up to 3 ships on each side), then real-time boarding action if necessary. AAoW is hopelessly obsolete, but AAWaS is still playable and fun, due to its focus (strategic campaigns in the age of sail) and its great combat ruleset.

- Less ancient, more famous, you missed Lords of the Realms, which is like Total War with computer tech of the 90ies. Lords of the Realms II is still an OK game.

- MUCH closer to TW : Real Warfare, and Real Warfare II. The strategic layer is closer to historic Mount & Blade than to TW, but the battles are just like TW in more realistic. Incredibly buggy, optimized by your grandmother, I don't recommend it for these later issues alone ; the game itself is good.

Games that combine a strategic layer with TB battles

- Just a note that Pursuit of the Graf Spee (1982) is the first game with this double-layered system (strategic map, then tactical combat). Is it good ? No. After that, there are a bazillion games in that category.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually, they had hitpoints. For example on General/king even in medieval he had 5 HP, while normal knight 1-2. Elephant had HP, otherwise they would just pop, instead of being big doom. But they used common sense, and generals were part of units. HP worked well to prevent highly armored general to explode on single random hit. (when not from cannon, or elephant)

Space strategies typically have big map, and tactical layer when fleet do combat.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
You can load any game into FoG2 I think if you are smart.

There is a Ck3 mod that lets you fight battles in Bannerlord but this doesnt work as well in a real time game for obvious reasons.

Beowulf

Arcane
Well, you can't really exclude the True (TM) Total War in space, which is - Sword of the stars.
It has very similar principles, but battles are happening in 3D space. The races are also quite different and have different FTL drives.

But I must say, that the point about including games that combine strategic layer with turn based battles opens the gates for a plethora of 4x games - starting from HoMM and AoW series and going to Humankind. Also - campaigns for Wargame series etc.
And if you decide to include Graviteam games, than Close Combat games fit the bill as well.

I can't really think about a good definition of a TW-like, but I would lean into titles like (most already mentioned):
Knights of Honor
King Arthur games
Real Warfare/XIII century series
Imperial Glory
Takeda series and its clones
Nobunaga and similar (ROTK)
Legion games and their "sequels"

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Well, you can't really exclude the True (TM) Total War in space, which is - Sword of the stars.
It has very similar principles, but battles are happening in 3D space. The races are also quite different and have different FTL drives.

But I must say, that the point about including games that combine strategic layer with turn based battles opens the gates for a plethora of 4x games - starting from HoMM and AoW series and going to Humankind. Also - campaigns for Wargame series etc.
And if you decide to include Graviteam games, than Close Combat games fit the bill as well.

I can't really think about a good definition of a TW-like, but I would lean into titles like (most already mentioned):
Knights of Honor
King Arthur games
Real Warfare/XIII century series
Imperial Glory
Takeda series and its clones
Nobunaga and similar (ROTK)
Legion games and their "sequels"

Forgot about Nobunaga. Actually, pretty much all of the KOEI historic games. Kessen, Liberty or Death, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, PTO, etc.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh yeah, I remember Strength & Honour now:
http://www.ezgame.com/SNH2/

and other similar games by the same developer, like Takeda and Sango

the developer sadly turned to mobile games now

can you buy these anywhere? the purchase page for this leads to gamersgate, and gamersgate went to hell recently. all of their endearing and lesser-known games are gone

i've searched high and low, and i could only find a copy of the original game here.... and i don't speak spanish

https://archive.org/details/snh_game

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

can you buy these anywhere? the purchase page for this leads to gamersgate, and gamersgate went to hell recently. all of their endearing and lesser-known games are gone

i've searched high and low, and i could only find a copy of the original game here.... and i don't speak spanish

If the Gamersgate purchase links don't work, then I don't think you can buy it anymore. Find torrents instead.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

If the Gamersgate purchase links don't work, then I don't think you can buy it anymore. Find torrents instead.
The Gamersgate link should still work. I can still download my GG games (I haven't tried this one specifically, but Takeda 3 is still for sale on their site).

There are a lot of fantasy/space 4X that would qualify indeed, depending on how simulationist you want to be (Master of Orion 2, Master of Magic, Dominions 5, Fallen Enchantress, Interstellar Space Genesis, Stars in Shadow, Age of Wonders...).
Star Wars Rebellion combines a RT strategic layer with a RT combat layer, and does have a "simulation" feel indeed.
Star Wars : Empire at War too, but it totally ditches the simulation part.

Real Warfare 2: Northern Crusade also has a weird casualty replacement system that strongly encourage you to field mostly low tier fodder units.

You also have the Hegemony Series in wich battles take place in RT while the strategic map also advances in RT (iirc). Same for Lords of the Realm 3 (but this one is bad...).

Leonard

Educated
Theocracy, a pretty obscure game about managing a mezoamerican civilization. Pretty involved strategic layer, which including building up each province, sending troops/goods between provinces, recruiting units, and then sending them to battles, which you command in real time. Has fantasy elements, controls are pretty bad and combats are somewhat clunky but I'd still kill for a modern game with this concept.

Some screenshots under the spoiler:
Strategic map:
eYtBB4t.png

Province map:
GA9gfRR.png

Zoomed out province map:
wBlGyma.png

Combat screenshot:
bCR6eYJ.png

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
The Cossacks series plays similar to Total War but with the added advantage of also being Age of Empires as well. Conquest of America is a spin-off series as is Entente (WW1) as they are all based off the same engine.
Sadly they don't have a campaign map.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Probably unpopular opinion, but I don't think I've found anything, CA-made or otherwise, that matches the excellence of Total War: Medieval II. Every so often I just go back and replay it.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
Probably unpopular opinion, but I don't think I've found anything, CA-made or otherwise, that matches the excellence of Total War: Medieval II. Every so often I just go back and replay it.

I only wish Medieval II, Napoleon and the first Shogun/Medieval had a coop campaign.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom