Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lost Ark Online

ElectricOtter

I remember the "nightmare" of Thaddeus in WoW WotlK where there was almost always someone who was too stupid to realize the difference between going left side or right side.

not surprised u were in a guild of such likeminded retards tbh xd

made

Arcane
Well I'm almost lvl 50. The main challenge so far has been how to group up trash mobs to mow them down with AOE most efficiently. The few times I died was to world bosses because I couldn't see red circles over all the flashy AOE from other players. Can't see myself raiding either for that reason, especially after seeing that video up there.

Game reminds me a lot of TERA. That one also had a manor full of evil clowns (is that a korean fetish?), similar combat and RNG-based gear upgrade system.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
The few times I died was to world bosses because I couldn't see red circles over all the flashy AOE from other players
There's an option to turn down other people's spell effects. You can even choose to just leave the useful stuff on like support aoe buffs.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I am actually glad a pay to win game is actually really fun. I work a lot and make a good amount of money. I also have a family and can’t game as much as I used to. Lost ark allows me to use my money to not only keep up with people who can play the game all the time, but actually surpass them easily. This will be the first MMO, that is decent since I was in high school and college, that I can stay elite in.

Finally a good game that respects us money rich but time poor folk.

:lol:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
shitaku said:
Lost Ark is a lot of fun. I’ve played hours and hours of it and I’m excited to play more. However, the latest smash hit on Steam is facing criticism for how it portrays its female characters.

Specifically, the game features some truly silly female animations, gives women few options besides revealing armor, forces them to wear heels, and uses gender-locked classes. This would have been a problem in 2012. Now in 2022, it’s not only bad, it seems as if the folks making this game just ignored the last decade or so of discussions and debates surrounding representation of women and non-masculine characters in games.

When I first started playing Lost Ark, I booted up the game and created a paladin named Zack, who was a dude. I’m very boring. However, even as a male character, I noticed how many of the female characters around me seemed to be, uh…lacking pants. And I’m not the only person who noticed. Other players have pointed out how hard it is as a female character in Lost Ark to find clothing and armor that actually, y’know, covers your body.

I wanted to experience this myself, so I started up a new character. Although she was fully clothed and armored in the character creation menu, the moment I started the game my new heroine was stripped down to nearly nothing and plopped in some heels, and that was that. I spent nearly two hours running around, doing quests and killing monsters before I finally found a new pair of pants that weren’t just booty shorts. Instead, these were slightly longer booty shorts.

Even if Lost Ark offered a wider variety of clothing and armor to women, it wouldn’t fix its other big problem with women: all the hyper-exaggerated, fan-service-y animations. Women in Lost Ark have hips that wiggle side to side so much, so quickly, they look like they fell out of a Source Filmmaker project from a decade ago. On social media, you can find lots of women who have already pointed out just how comically bad Lost Ark’s female animations look, especially when zoomed in on.

Sykar

Arcane
Well there is no warrior class for female characters. All female classes are either martial arts, rogues or mages. Even the male equivalent to these classes do not have much in terms of armor. As to animations, combat animations are fine. Don't care much for emotes.
Complaining about genderlock is also stupid. PoE is basically gender locked. So is Diablo 2. So are many other hack&slash games.
I do agree on high heels. Always hated them in these types of games and don't care much for them in real life either.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Main story is extremely bland, can't bring myself to play for longer than two hours per session.
But dungeons are very fun.
I wish you could completely ignore the main story and level through dungeons exclusively.

Dexter

Arcane
anal raping ur wallet is kewl but dont u dare add clothing to my waifu that is where i draw the line ethically xd
I have only played like ~20 hours so far (although I dno how much of that was spent in Queue and character creation) and got a char to like Lvl25, barely finished with the first few areas on the island and they haven't "anal raped" my anything. I haven't noticed any content that I was locked out of as a "not paying player", nor any annoying mechanic to try and coerce me to pay like withholding certain content, having limited inventory space or similar that some other games do. I'm far away from having finished most dungeons, let alone Endgame and expect dozens more hours of fun for free before I might notice any issues, if there are some. There are people on my Friends list with ~100 hours in that don't seem to have purchased anything either. But yes, ideological censorship (and major server issues) is making it considerably less likely that I spend any money than whatever that Crystal shit does.

Btw. I found out that you start off at Level10 because at some point (in 2020?) they decided to remove class-specific Prologues and replaced them with a short Cutscene and that generic Pirate island one.
https://www.pcgamer.com/its-a-shame-lost-ark-wont-let-you-play-the-original-class-prologues/

Here's the Warrior Prologue:

Mage:

Assassin:

Hunter/Gunner:

Martial Artist:

Who makes these retarded decisions? Reminds me of Destiny 2.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
rating_citation.png
luj1
https://www.gamepressure.com/newsro...rs-criticize-amazon-and-point-out-diff/z53e67
https://nichegamer.com/lost-ark-is-censored-in-the-western-release/
https://www.sankakucomplex.com/2021...-censors-sexy-outfits-blackwashes-characters/

It's also hard to tell the extent of the censorship without speaking Korean or at least Russian. Most of this info comes from pissed off Russians like the bearded guy above and supposedly it's not only visual censorship, but that they also "localized" Quests and jokes making them more bland if some accounts are anything to go by: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198268867817/recommended/1599340/
TRANSLATIONS KR to EN:
This is perhaps the one thing which pisses me off most. Comparing translations from KR and RU reveals that many quests which had a sexual theme or a not-very-politically-correct topic such as guards discussing going to brothels and dwarves talking about dying in their beds with elf girls next to them have been changed to much less "problematic", ahem, topics for our version - which often make zero sense, by the way, and simply sound watered down and diluted. Not only that, but many of the translations which aren't directly "toned down" for """"obvious"""" western sensitivities, simply make almost no sense in regards to the situation. They feel soulless, rushed and without even the slightest feel or effort to them. The voice actors sound half-assed most of the time, voices don't match, many voice lines are outright missing. The English used is utmost basic and stripped down of any fantasy or "epic", realistic feel to it. Even the Russian translators made everything sound more epic than this - considerably so. There are numerous, numerous examples of quests being watered down in order to be more "politically correct" and ensure they don't offend anyone, with the sense of some of them entirely changed, lines removed. Many of the side stories have been literally sterilized, and not only sterilized, but also done so in a ridiculously lazy way which immediately breaks immersion and puts a person paying attention to the lore and story off.

And not only that, but even the quests which aren't "problematic" have been skimmed through. Terrible translations often being completely inaccurate or misrepresenting the NPC or the situation, basic and bland. I don't know who translated this game, but the Russians translating from Korean have done unironically a 10 times better job. Entire lines of your character and choices have been stripped. Another example, the martial arts tournament in anich (Anikka here), the guy you speak to before every fight begins has a specific line and discussion for every single different fighter before you face them and he speaks to you about it before the fight. Here, he just repeats the same thing over and over again. "SHOW US WHAT YOU"RE CAPABLE OF. (???)
At first I didn't mind the blackwashing (diversity of skin color for the west actually makes sense, even to purists), but then I had a deeper look. There are places which unironically have a 80% black NPC ratio, it's like Arkesia turned into Africa overnight. Go to Lakebar, there are 2-3 white NPCs and everyone else is black (?). It's actually bordering on the insanity in some places, it looks literally unnatural and even a person who has never played Lost Ark in the other regions can see something is off and call it out, simply because it looks so out of place with the amount of black NPCs around. Some locations have had their asians / whites exterminated apparently? Not only this, but the blackwashing itself is done in extremely poor and lazy fashion - black skin literally slapped on NPCs with asian or Caucasian facial features, making the comedic tragedy even deeper.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Btw. I found out that you start off at Level10 because at some point (in 2020?) they decided to remove class-specific Prologues and replaced them with a short Cutscene and that generic Pirate island one.
What about secret cheevos? I remember each class had them in their respective prologue.

made

Arcane
I might care more about blackwashing if the worldbuilding itself made any sense in the first place, but here you have a china-themed island next to a medieval island next to a fucking mecha island where giant robots shoot lasers and machine guns at each other, all within a few minutes sailing distance of each other. An island of niggers doesn't particularly stand out in this theme park.

Reinhardt

Arcane
That's the point, nigger. Everyone has their thematic island and SUDDENLY afro-american people of color mixed everywhere. Where they came from? There is NEVER afro-american land of color of afro-american people of color on the map.

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
Imagine if they took popular Korean series or movies like Squid Game, Kingdom or Train to Busan and started digitally replacing half the actors with black&brown ppl you would find in Los Angeles or Detroit, or at least lazily digitally altering their faces to be black which is the equivalent of what they did here. It would be ridiculed to shit for now, but we might be heading there soon and they'll call it "localization" for our benefit, because supposedly "people" from the West are unable to watch and enjoy Korean entertainment without 50% brown people in it, even though they could just fine 5 years ago.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Hit T3 on my Dblade yday, but decided that after losing my abyssal weekly lockout twice to shitty dungeons and just the overall bad server performance, that I'd restart on one of the new servers. Probably worth it in the long run, but still sucks to lose ~100hrs of progress. Hopefully they'll hand out an extra Powerpass or some catchup resources later down the line, but already up to 460 ilvl again within less than 24hrs, so I'm making decent progress.

Kinda crazy how you had to log into EU-central when they brought out the new servers, and since those were already dead, the only reliable way to start on a new server was to change the server-region setting in the config files before starting the game. Terrible design.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Regardless of whatever else you might think of this game, it's so painfully obvious that all the "lol it's so easy"-guys have not played any of the relevant content

Sykar

Arcane
So seems like that censorship stuff is clickbait to generate outrage.

Though seems like there is conflicting info on that. From personal experience, my sorceress is plenty of sexy and shows lots of skin in any outfit she was wearing so far. Seen some assassin type characters who looked like they come straight out of a BDSM orgy. So I guess the truth is somewhere in the middle.
Personally I think any kind of censorship and reskinning is fucking stupid especially when the reskin looks terrible. It is a waste of developers resources that could be spent better elsewhere.

Screenshot ingame:

Looks plenty sexy to me tbh.

Last edited:
Spent 15 minutes mining a giant stone egg just to spawn a giant spider that took a dozen people beating it for 4 minutes just for it to drop only silver coins. These timed islands were designed by trolls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom