Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
OK, it took until Level 16 and going through Phreak to trigger Cube Theft then a trip to Utility 6, but PLASMA MAN IS REAL, THE MEDIA CANNOT SILENCE THE-

Of course turned out you needed Meta 90 so need to be lv16 minimum anyhow ho ho ho

Simple setup with Psycho Optimisation, Meta Muffler Headband, Azuridae Tac Vest = 20AP/39Psi Plasma Beam that usually burns at 2-300 damage per hit every enemy in line, 21?% crit chance for 700+. Obviously can do a lot more esp with food.

Now to, well, cheatengine reload Constantine for 2 hours to get the Cyclop's Eye what the fuck

How to get to Utility 6?

Tigranes

Arcane
OK, it took until Level 16 and going through Phreak to trigger Cube Theft then a trip to Utility 6, but PLASMA MAN IS REAL, THE MEDIA CANNOT SILENCE THE-

Of course turned out you needed Meta 90 so need to be lv16 minimum anyhow ho ho ho

Simple setup with Psycho Optimisation, Meta Muffler Headband, Azuridae Tac Vest = 20AP/39Psi Plasma Beam that usually burns at 2-300 damage per hit every enemy in line, 21?% crit chance for 700+. Obviously can do a lot more esp with food.

Now to, well, cheatengine reload Constantine for 2 hours to get the Cyclop's Eye what the fuck

How to get to Utility 6?

After Cube Theft look for an Upper Metro area where you hear the eerie repetition of telekinesis

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
dominating jet eater killed with single critical spear throw. My hopes were crushed for unique spear wasnt improved with latest patch

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
dominating jet eater killed with single critical spear throw. My hopes were crushed for unique spear wasnt improved with latest patch
Lemurian Spear was improved and is looking fairly decent, so there is at least that.
new lemurian is good but not for my build. None of the unique ones are good for throwing.

Not related: where is the easiest accessible naga to fight? Essentially so I would enter dlc area on my own jet and just rush to get to it. Not planning on finishing the game, just playing with new stuff and fighting some specific enemies.

Not related: where is the easiest accessible naga to fight? Essentially so I would enter dlc area on my own jet and just rush to get to it. Not planning on finishing the game, just playing with new stuff and fighting some specific enemies.
The one in L2 is easy. Only have to kill a few pirates in the way to get to it, and it doesn't require any keys or anything.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I don't think those two are Styg Puzzles...
But I suppose they will keep doing the same thing: Crazy optional puzzles. The new puzzle is a nice thematic fit for phreaking, but the gameplay is ass. Well, at least they didn't make you whistle DTMF tones into your mic. And it's got useful stat checks, so it's not as detached from the RPG part as the previous big puzzles.
Perhaps we'll see this option in Underrail 2. :smug:

Zeem

Learned
The one in L2 is easy. Only have to kill a few pirates in the way to get to it, and it doesn't require any keys or anything.
You don't even need to deal with pirates. You can sneak by fairly easily if you time it right.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
crafted q160 tungsteen spear with q130 wings. Against azuridae goliath at max range regular hit is in 1-1.5k range. I saw 5k crit. 45% hit chance with lvl 17 at such range.

I think nagas on dominating got 75% mechanical reduction? Do they have over 1.25k hp to sruvive such crit?

how much dominating tchort got hp now?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
approached phone music puzzle. I hate my life now.

Found enemy I couldnt kill with spear throws - master blaster. Was forced to switch to gas grenades and lazor pistol. Max range crit would take at best 1/3 of his hp

Tigranes

Arcane

OK, Cyclop's Eye added to the mix, walked up to Baenkraster, 2000 crit damage from first beam, entire room dead in 1 turn. Not bad.

EDIT: Eldran two-shot because first didn't crit.

... they didn't make you whistle DTMF tones into your mic.
Quick rundown on this? Seems interesting for a puzzle and I cant turn up on anything on Google.

Phone booth puzzle = you literally hear a sequence of ~5 tones, then press the right phone buttons to reproduce the sound, and you do 3 sequences correctly in a row or it all resets, and sequences come in fucked up pace/rhythm so you might hear some tones overlap.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
As knifer you dispatch multiple enemies per turn. There is no time to wait for poisons to kick in.

There's no time to wait for poisons to kick in on any build or in any pressing situation.

The fact of the matter is that in Underrail, it's you vs. a gang of people or creatures who are in your way. Immediate, absolute, and overwhelming force is the king. Subtlety is for losers, unless it's subtlety for the purpose of deploying immediate, absolute, and overwhelming force the moment enemies are aware of you. Once enemies are aware of you, you're essentially locked into combat on that screen for all eternity, even if you leave; it used to be different, but people exploited zoning in and out, so away that went.

Even if you could waste a lot of time shaking your enemies and re-engaging, doing ninja hit-and-runs as it were and waiting for poisons to take effect, it'd be a huge waste of your real-life time compared to mowing them down with an AR. EVEN IF you had the patience for THAT, there's the further fact that it's better to waste an enemy right away before he injects his Krokodil and stimpak, which not only nullifies some of the damage you may just have caused, but also deprives you of loot, since the drugs are consumed.

Here's the reality: When you hit someone, you want them to die that turn, ideally—and if not, just as soon as possible. Some eel piss that takes seven turns to stop someone's heart (or whatever) is useless. Cool concept, but wrong game.

I did my previous playthrough as a psyker and it was pretty much smooth sailing. Now I made a stealth crossbowman and it feels hell of a lot harder. Is it normal? Or am I missing some essential tactic one's supposed to use when sneaking around with a crossbow?

No, that is 100% normal—but believe it or not, Crossbows used to be even weaker than it is now. Just off the top of my head, the to-hit was garbage even at medium range when surrounded by spotlights outputting more lumens than the Sun, and they were (and almost certainly still are) entirely useless against anything with heavy armor.

Styg personally responded to me that "Crossbows need some love" some years back, and they eventually received some, but none of my amazing ideas (such as an additional dedicated scope slot, which would also be entirely in line with real-life crossbow hardpoints) were implemented, so going the Crossbows route is still hardmode.

This is related to poisons also, by the way, because in theory poisoned crossbow bolts are the crossbowman's answer to heavily-armored tin cans. The thing is, you have to do more than 0 damage, or the poison doesn't take effect. Therefore, poisoned crossbow bolts are essentially useless.

Last edited:
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
As knifer you dispatch multiple enemies per turn. There is no time to wait for poisons to kick in.

There's no time to wait for poisons to kick in on any build or in any pressing situation.

The fact of the matter is that in Underrail, it's you vs. a gang of people or creatures who are in your way. Immediate, absolute, and overwhelming force is the king. Subtlety is for losers, unless it's subtlety for the purpose of deploying immediate, absolute, and overwhelming force the moment enemies are aware of you. Once enemies are aware of you, you're essentially locked into combat on that screen for all eternity, even if you leave; it used to be different, but people exploited zoning in and out, so away that went.

Even if you could waste a lot of time shaking your enemies and re-engaging, doing ninja hit-and-runs as it were and waiting for poisons to take effect, it'd be a huge waste of your real-life time compared to mowing them down with an AR. EVEN IF you had the patience for THAT, there's the further fact that it's better to waste an enemy right away before he injects his Krokodil and stimpak, which not only nullifies some of the damage you may just have caused, but also deprives you of loot, since the drugs are consumed.

Here's the reality: When you hit someone, you want them to die that turn, ideally—and if not, just as soon as possible. Some eel piss that takes seven turns to stop someone's heart (or whatever) is useless. Cool concept, but wrong game.
Is it still like this when playing a tank? I start to feel that Dominating with glass cannon char omits a major part of the game, passive resistances/regen of player character. Since mostly you cannot afford to get hit and you can never afford to be disabled.
Might be fun to play with poisons using caltrops with a tank character, also with cryo and gas grenades.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

I did my previous playthrough as a psyker and it was pretty much smooth sailing. Now I made a stealth crossbowman and it feels hell of a lot harder. Is it normal? Or am I missing some essential tactic one's supposed to use when sneaking around with a crossbow?

No, that is 100% normal—but believe it or not, Crossbows used to be even weaker than it is now. Just off the top of my head, the to-hit was garbage even at medium range when surrounded by spotlights outputting more lumens than the Sun, and they were (and almost certainly still are) entirely useless against anything with heavy armor.

Styg personally responded to me that "Crossbows need some love" some years back, and they eventually received some, but none of my amazing ideas (such as an additional dedicated scope slot, which would also be entirely in line with real-life crossbow hardpoints) were implemented, so going the Crossbows route is still hardmode.

This is related to poisons also, by the way, because in theory poisoned crossbow bolts are the crossbowman's answer to heavily-armored tin cans. The thing is, you have to do more than 0 damage, or the poison doesn't take effect. Therefore, poisoned crossbow bolts are essentially useless.

Poisons are for caltrops or traps.
Or hardcore throwing knife build or something similar.

Zeem

Learned
There is if you've got a lot of crowd control. This way you can poison one enemy, incap/stun and let him simmer for a bit while you deal with others. You can also apply utility poisons, like Black Dragon to completely deny psi users their devil magicks. Ultimately there is no opportunity cost to smearing some poison on your melee weapon, so it's a straight buff, even if it's a small one.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wonder if a Constitution poision/gas build would be viable, where you're constantly putting points into Con and letting AoE and DoT effects kill your foes.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
where exactly are ohreak phone booths? I recall him saying fort apogee and tchort uni. I think I found right one by fort since it had plot item(same location as unique hammer)

Now I have problem with uni, I thought that right phone is by mall entrance, but then after solving the puzzle and finding door, that wasnt nearby at all, I didnt find any plot item. Where should I look?

Anyone found good usage for camera jammer? Tried to see if it would allow stealing some quality jet skis but its not possible to even lift the water gate

where exactly are ohreak phone booths? I recall him saying fort apogee and tchort uni. I think I found right one by fort since it had plot item(same location as unique hammer)

Now I have problem with uni, I thought that right phone is by mall entrance, but then after solving the puzzle and finding door, that wasnt nearby at all, I didnt find any plot item. Where should I look?

Anyone found good usage for camera jammer? Tried to see if it would allow stealing some quality jet skis but its not possible to even lift the water gate
Go east, south, east from the Institute station. Or south, south, west from Fort Apogee. There are some neutral bandits+dogs in the area who'll you need to kill or distract since they block the way to the door.
I never found a use for the camera jammer. It seems like it'd be useful, but it never actually is.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
There is if you've got a lot of crowd control. This way you can poison one enemy, incap/stun and let him simmer for a bit while you deal with others.

The problem with your line of reasoning is that you can save any AP you might have used for poisoning to deal more overwhelming alpha strike damage to the other enemies you mentioned, then shift your attention back to Mr. Stunned even sooner and kill him in one turn as well.

Poisons are a rigged mechanic: They're rigged against the player. The player must survive turn after turn, hour after hour, so poisons work great on us. They are a true hazard, because we must not die at all. Enemies are destined to die in one turn preferably, two or three at most.

You can also apply utility poisons, like Black Dragon to completely deny psi users their devil magicks.

In my 1,270.3 hours playing Underrail, I've always found it's more effective to kill them immediately.

You might think I'm just being difficult for the sake of being difficult. I've tried deploying cave ear and Black Dragon poisons, for example, and found it's simply better to start killing ASAP. Crawler poison is arguably the most useful in limited contexts, since it can stun one enemy in a group just as the rest turn the corner to attack the guy who threw a knife at their buddy (or similar scenarios). Crawler poison also must be farmed like it's a fucking MMO and shares a recipe with the most powerful healing stim.

Don't get me wrong here, you CAN finish the game as a poisonmaster; of that, I have no doubt. But you know and I know that a Spec Ops SMG build turning multiple bodies per turn into slabs of swiss cheese is faster and more effective.

Ultimately there is no opportunity cost to smearing some poison on your melee weapon, so it's a straight buff, even if it's a small one.

That is absolutely true, yes, but only applies to melee weapons. It doesn't even apply to traps, because a trap that's dedicated to applying poison isn't doing something else more useful, such as exploding.

Tygrende

Arbiter
There is if you've got a lot of crowd control. This way you can poison one enemy, incap/stun and let him simmer for a bit while you deal with others.

The problem with your line of reasoning is that you can save any AP you might have used for poisoning to deal more overwhelming alpha strike damage to the other enemies you mentioned, then shift your attention back to Mr. Stunned even sooner and kill him in one turn as well.

Poisons are a rigged mechanic: They're rigged against the player. The player must survive turn after turn, hour after hour, so poisons work great on us. They are a true hazard, because we must not die at all. Enemies are destined to die in one turn preferably, two or three at most.

You can also apply utility poisons, like Black Dragon to completely deny psi users their devil magicks.

In my 1,270.3 hours playing Underrail, I've always found it's more effective to kill them immediately.

You might think I'm just being difficult for the sake of being difficult. I've tried deploying cave ear and Black Dragon poisons, for example, and found it's simply better to start killing ASAP. Crawler poison is arguably the most useful in limited contexts, since it can stun one enemy in a group just as the rest turn the corner to attack the guy who threw a knife at their buddy (or similar scenarios). Crawler poison also must be farmed like it's a fucking MMO and shares a recipe with the most powerful healing stim.

Don't get me wrong here, you CAN finish the game as a poisonmaster; of that, I have no doubt. But you know and I know that a Spec Ops SMG build turning multiple bodies per turn into slabs of swiss cheese is faster and more effective.

Ultimately there is no opportunity cost to smearing some poison on your melee weapon, so it's a straight buff, even if it's a small one.

That is absolutely true, yes, but only applies to melee weapons. It doesn't even apply to traps, because a trap that's dedicated to applying poison isn't doing something else more useful, such as exploding.
I will say it again. Leper poison is literally free damage. There's zero reason not to use it.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
alright, spear throw dmg might be insane but it doesnt reach insane levels required to make a proper dent in industrial robots/nagas. It takes 4 big throws to kill industrial robot. Its just inferior to my space pirate build in every way. Especially after big boosts it received with latest update. Probably not worth it to even bother with stabbing late game.

I think I saw all there is to new content? I did all the quests for phreak(I think?) and cube got stolen. Looks like one can still pick oligarch after that. Didnt check what would happen when you are being send to coretech facility.

One thing is not clear to me: whats the deal with abomination mutant at the bottom of sewers? Interacted with all the valves, killed him few times, grabbed unique gas mask and then decided to just leave. Clearly Im missing something in here?

Camera jammer caps at 100% extra time so cant go insane in hacking to steal that jet.
I wonder if there are cool things to be found in other phone locations? One wrong that I did had funny hammer attachment that adds energy damage for few hits - similar to firecracker

Cant locate charms chick to see if she got new dialog after killing jet eater, she was clearly referencing his soul earlier

Tygrende

Arbiter
alright, spear throw dmg might be insane but it doesnt reach insane levels
THUNDERBOLT_OF_THE_GODS.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom