Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

why do so many people here hate modern games ?

dacencora

The truly great modern games come from Japan. No contest.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
A lot of Codexers are just done with video games even if they don't want to admit it. I've noticed this more in General Gaming than GRPG, but more than a few people only play what amounts to glorified expansions to their classic favorites, and still whine about how wrong it is. Since you can do that on the Codex and no where else, that is where they are.
Still, there are plenty of very legitimate complaints people have towards modern games. Games that hold your hand; Steamlining away the good parts of a game; Offering choices to the player that don't matter at all. Perhaps its because I generally don't go into threads for games I don't care about I don't notice whining, but most of the time I see someone having very legitimate complaints about things that get on their nerves. Would you want to play a game that did something that got on your nerves?
Also, I'm not sure how hated most of those games are. Witcher 3 is one of the top 101 games on this site and I can't remember seeing anyone complain about Dark Souls here. DA:I can fuck right off though.

Robotigan

Learned
This is pretty easy. Most games are bland and pandering regardless of era. But people are slow to recognize pandering when they're the target. They just see it as good game because they like it. Games used to have a niche audience that was much more similar to this forum's demographic. So a lot of average games from that era have been construed as good because they specifically appealed to the geeky teenage boy's love for edgy action thrillers. But nowadays the audience has broadened so it's no longer zeroing in on teenage boys. Now games are made to appeal to women, LGBT, "normies", etc. Since they're no longer the ones being pandered to, geeky guys can finally recognize how bland and forgettable most games are. They then misattribute this to decline rather than their own

Okay, okay, that's only partially correct. Here's the other half of it. Monetary growth in the console/PC market has been stagnant over the last decade but consumers keep demanding consistently bigger and better games. So the same amount of resources are stretched across fewer titles. This means that there are not only fewer big games but also less appetite for risk and experimentation as a single flop is so much more costly. If you want some incline hope it seems like the pandemic and work from home environment, though it initially slowed down development, has caused a surge in demand for consoles and PC builds. Combined with proliferation of subscription services like Gamepass, the install base has never been larger. There should be a lot more investment into video games over the next several years.

Dr1f7

Scholar
the witcher 3 - shit on
DOS/DOS2 - shit on
dragon age inquision - shit on
pathfinder - shit on
Baldurs gate 3 - shit on
pillars of eternity - shit on

these are all games in which the writing is supposed to be a major, if not premier, component; but the writing is objectively awful. I mean objectively literally as if you've ever read anything from classic literature or, if you think that comparison is unfair, if you've seen even one episode of star trek tng you'd realize these games were written by idiots (and i mean idiot literally)

Last edited:

Not.AI

Learned
Too bland.

Most games now too bland.

Some look great - but are super bland.

And almost all make on or more obvious, huge design flaws, and would have been better if the mechanic was simply not in the game, even if nothing replaced it: better with less work.

Berengar

Learned
Not asking the real questions OP. Why does everyone here play the games they claim to hate!? Why are there so many threads devoted to "SHIT" games while the :obviously: game threads wither and die!? And where does Grimoire fit into all of this? WHO BENEFITS?

or I dunno it's just a goofy vidya game website

Most of the forum is afraid to admit they even like certain games because they may no longer be seen as cool.

You're like those snowflakes who believe the racism in GD is only ironic.
Here's the games people who are members of the Steam RPGCodex group are playing right now:
z4B8S4q.png
Lost Ark looked for a moment interesting, but it's a MMORPG.

It always was. There was never a moment when it was shown where it wasn't known to be a MMORPG.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
"Codex hates modern games" has become an untrue meme a long (as in: long) time ago when it comes to crpgs and it has spread to most other genres in recent years, too.

InSight

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Here are explanations/assumptions on why some are described as hateful toward games:

1. Attempt at amending the wrong.
  2. Narrow Consideration.
  3. Negativity.
  4. Habit

1.Attempt at amending the wrong.
Based on the notion that if one see's a bend pole/stick, one would apply/require twice the force to restore it, bend it the other way into straight position.
Likewise by their own judgment/rating/principles, if other speak/evaluate/praise a game beyond its merit, rating a decent/good game as the best when other more fitting such description/title exist, they will speak more ill/badly/hatefully of it, insulting ,demeaning it as attempt to manipulate score or opinion back to its viewed correct place.

In example if objectively(by more/higher/deeper standards) Oblivion is a (2 or 3)/6 score rated game, and meta-critic rate it as 6/6, some will give a score of 0 or 1 to reduce it by averages so the actual results would be (6+0):2 =3 which would be the right/correct rating/evaluation although the means are deceptive.

2.Narrow Consideration.
They consider less rather than more. Considering only what they were condition/used-to at youth thus they, don't have the means(hardware) or/and cannot sense or demean the advancement made possible. The good parts were not important, not to their liking. Consideration aimed to them-self. Not putting oneself in another shoes, different angle/perspective. Not valuing the good work of many others. Not considerations the whole/many/more.

3.Negativity
These who are more knowing/intelligent may be dissatisfied and thus miserable. Their "hate" on games are a trigger in which they vent their frustration, an emotional response which may prevent them from knowing better when they ought to know better. Focusing only on the empty part in a glass of water.
In social hierarchy/ladder category, some would classifies them as the Gamma.
Describing only the bad/ill/negative parts of the picture(game) while ignoring/downplaying the rest. That is a form of lying/deceit/manipulation.

Have they created something better with their own hands? one has to ask/answer.

It reminds of intelligentsia/Jews who were expelled to America during/before WW2 or even WW1 from Europe/Germany, wearing their full suits during the heat of summer, tainting the lifestyle/outlook citizens with bleakness/negativity/pessimism due to culture which encouraged being vocal, stating one's opinion thus being vulnerable to such views.

4.Habit
"(psychology) an automatic pattern of behavior in reaction to a specific situation; may be inherited or acquired through frequent repetition".
Due to repetition be it right or wrong, they became like wounded/abused animal or trained one, barking/hostile to things originally/normally they would not.
They did it for so long/often, its the first thing that guide/dominate their mind/opinion.

One can find the 4 description inter-related, inter-woven, one leads to another.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

One can find such behavior unjust/unreasonable/odd, for hate once signified a step away from killing.
What harm has games(which are not alive, do not breath or think) imposed/caused for oneself to remarked with hate?

This opinion based on the notion that generally computer games as a whole are better.
Despite the poorer/bad condition present/available due to malnutrition, education system, disregard of Yahuha/YHWH/יהוה and influence of evil which result in man and thus player to be less capable, one can be at awe that good games still came to be.

Question and seek to answer if such behavior existed before the internet as we know it for good and bad computer games existed before modern one.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Modern game design trends are shit and most of the game design approaches of the past were forgotten. Only recently have they been revived by indies, and they were kept alive by modders over the decades.

Most modern game design trends are shit like:
- excessive handholding
- cinematic cutscene-fests
- ridiculously overwritten wall of text loredumps
- overbalanced systems that aren't fun
- overly abstracted systems that make no sense
- LGBT faggotry everywhere
- excessive linearity that allows zero player choice
- generic by-the-numbers open worlds with copypasta side quests (hello Ubisoft)
- half-assed procedural generation as a replacement for proper level design
- level scaling that makes progress feel meaningless
- boring copypasta filler design (copypasta encounters, copypasta itemization, etc)

Not all modern games follow all of these design trends are some are mutually exclusive, but most modern games have at least one of those design issues.

Witcher 3, for example, suffers from excessive handholding, being a cutscene-fest, and having a shitty leveling curve and meh itemization.
People who praise it usually do so for its story and especially the cool sidequest plots, and yes, those are genuinely good. But as an actual game is sucks. It's a good CYOA book tho.

Contagium

Savant
Patron
If you say you like something, other than a few select games, you're going to be attacked and have to defend your position. If you say something is trash (other than a few select games) most users won't challenge that because people don't want to admit to liking trash.

That being said, there's no set of Codex opinions and never has been. It used to be a meme that there was a codex "hivemind" but there never was. Not everyone is serious with the shit they post here. Learn to read between the lines a little. The most discussed games are the most played. Ignore if they're being hated or praised. If they're talking about it that's what Codexers are actually playing.

This is one of the best comments I've read on this site, period.

Johnny Biggums

Learned
The idea that we automatically hate everything new cuz grognard is a projection from dumb, and probably gay, interlopers.

Harthwain

Magister
If you say you like something, other than a few select games, you're going to be attacked and have to defend your position. If you say something is trash (other than a few select games) most users won't challenge that because people don't want to admit to liking trash.

That being said, there's no set of Codex opinions and never has been. It used to be a meme that there was a codex "hivemind" but there never was. Not everyone is serious with the shit they post here. Learn to read between the lines a little. The most discussed games are the most played. Ignore if they're being hated or praised. If they're talking about it that's what Codexers are actually playing.

This is one of the best comments I've read on this site, period.
The bit concerning trash is untrue though - there are plenty of discussions about what's trash around here.

It boils down into two reasons.

The first is the cargo cult mentality that is associated with incompetent senior designers and/or managers. The cargo cult mentality is the idea that if designers ritualistically implement the same approach as previously successful games, then their game will in turn be successful. The reason this doesn't work is that the exact approach used by hit titles only makes sense within the original context in which the approach was made, and taking that approach out of the original context very rarely works. Cargo cult mentality also leads to foolish practices like design-by-committee. (Because every man gets a veto, only proven approaches will be implemented. Unfortunately, proven approaches are only guaranteed to work in the past.)

The second is the attempt to turn videogames into propaganda for The Message. The Message and any of its proponents deserve ridicule.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Or maybe, and hear me out here this is going to get wild, most of the games the OP listed are simply bad? It seems like a good avenue of research.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Most of the forum is afraid to admit they even like certain games because they may no longer be seen as cool.

You're like those snowflakes who believe the racism in GD is only ironic.
Here's the games people who are members of the Steam RPGCodex group are playing right now:
z4B8S4q.png
Lost Ark looked for a moment interesting, but it's a MMORPG.

It always was. There was never a moment when it was shown where it wasn't known to be a MMORPG.
I've never heard of it before I saw that screenshot.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
With very few exceptions, modern games are utterly boring.
Fixed it for you. I know it's cliché, and I'm not trying to imply that all periods are equal, but t's easy to forget that even during the golden age there were many turds like Times of Lore, Questron 2, Legends of Valour, Bloodnet, Stonekeep, and so on, and that in many cases these were heavily advertised titles trying to steal the spotlight.

We judge eras by the few good exceptions they spawn.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom