Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Elminage Gothic (former Japan only dungeon crawler)

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I picked this up on Steam since it was dirt cheap and I heard a lot of good stuff. My main problem is that info is quite scattered and hardly succint. I do not have time for a lot of playthbrough so I would like a decent to good core party that can beat the endboss without the need exchange new party members and relying on more partymembers parked in the city. My main questions would be:

Any EX skills that are must haves and if so which classes should get them?
I read that caster classes tend to not scale well later once they have all their spells so taking a new class at some point is advised. Which classes combine well? I guess Mage/Bishop might be a good combo though I read somewhere that Alchemist/Bishop is supposedly good too. Any other good combinations for my party below? I would at least like to get Summoner and Lord into the mix but unsure which classes they mix well.
Are there any ranged weapons for mage for example? When I tried to buy anything there seemed to be nothing available which feels kinda stupid since early one with only 3 casts per rest I have to defend all the damn time not being able to do anything useful. Same for my Alchemist.

I would like to start with something like this, meddled a litle but was not really satisfied:

Dragonnewt Brawler, EX no idea, tried that Shout thingie with Fear but seems not to much
Feralbeast Valkyrie, EX no idea, Heal increase, useless at start though since she has no spells whatsoever, guess they come later?
Gnome Cleric, EX no real idea, took the Absolute Barrier, not sure how good it is
Hotlet Thief, Ex no idea, took Imitate but did not see any use for it in the first dungeon
Elf Mage, EX the one that ignore magic resistance
Human Alchemist, EX magic bag

Mandatory Ex skills:

- 1 member with Stronghold. Row swap is the worst thing that can happen to you in the game. Because your full party will die 95% of times and will be humilliated.
- Brace. Give it to one front row. They will survive some nasty stuff pretty often and then kill the fucker avoiding a probable party wipe.
- Swallow Killer. Late game some guys are very hard to kill without it. Front row bros.
- Vigilance. Prevents half of the ambushes, which are very dangerous. NINJAs have it naturally.

Good and fun:
- Replica, for the ninja you should have now if you respect yourself and Elminage enjoyers. More beheading is always good.
- Counterattack.
- Level Drain. Mandatory in Ibag tower
- Tackle. Prevent enemy restoration

Utility, handy but not necessary:
- Mysterious bag, is not mandatory with good inventory management.
- Divination. Displays curse information, shows ore quality, and guaranteed that collected ores will not be Rocks. Give it to bishop or alchemist. I always pick it.

Feel free to explore more.

Cyanide

Novice
So, how much easier or harder is the 3DS port? I bought a 3DS for Christmas and would like to try this definitive edition. Most reviews I've read say even casual gamers can breeze through it due to how nerfed enemies are now, the dungeons have many shortcuts and are shorter, or so I've read. Or should I stick with the PC port?

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
So, how much easier or harder is the 3DS port? I bought a 3DS for Christmas and would like to try this definitive edition. Most reviews I've read say even casual gamers can breeze through it due to how nerfed enemies are now, the dungeons have many shortcuts and are shorter, or so I've read. Or should I stick with the PC port?
Stick with PC port, they nerfed enemies on the 3ds version.

Dorarnae

Arbiter

I personally like the 3ds version. the shortcut are only for early dungeon, like 4-5 first dungeon, rest is exactly the same. as for ennemies, yes they're easier, it does make the game easier, is it a cakewalk though? I wouldn't say that, I think the difficulty just feel 'right' with that version.
they added some new monsters/boss/event, can also steal items from monster now just like previous elminage and items have pictures too. might not seem much but this is one thing I really like with the elminage serie, though I understand that it makes the thief a must have...
the battle music is much better too, such a shame on pc they didn't make the effort to allow the feature of using your own music(ok I know with mod you can but still what a pain).
and you can also re-fight every boss/floor master in the game in one of the dungeon.
can also pay an amount of $ to change skill with your character instead of having to reroll to lvl 1.

if you really want a challenge, I'd say go with the psp version. the first dungeon is so dark you don't see shit...

Cyanide

Novice
Does anyone know where I can get the rom/cia file of the 3DS port? I can't find a rom file anywhere on the internet

Cyanide

Novice
I just found one on a rom list website, for Citra emulator. Finally :D, though it's in japanese :(

Cyanide

Novice
Do you guys know what the passwords are for? The 3ds port seems to use them but I can't find any info on the internet since it's all in japanese.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
Do you guys know what the passwords are for? The 3ds port seems to use them but I can't find any info on the internet since it's all in japanese.
9eS4-L82g-9P7F
not sure how many password there is, but this is the one I have from the game soundtrack...it gives some gear.

Cyanide

Novice
Noob question, I just finished the game (the 3DS version) and got a medal of power, which randomly changes a character's class. Soooo, can I use it, for example, on my samurai to change him into a ninja?

Digimon

Educated
Noob question, I just finished the game (the 3DS version) and got a medal of power, which randomly changes a character's class. Soooo, can I use it, for example, on my samurai to change him into a ninja?

Yes and if I remember correctly, there is also an item, a knife, you can get later that lets you change a character class into a ninja while retaining their innocent status.

Digimon

Educated
Hmm… If this is the first time you got the medal then that means you just finished the tutorial part of the game, I.E. the main story.

Prepare yourself, the fun part is just about to begin.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'd rather keep that samurai. Dual Murasames are quite effective and Swallow Return is awesome - and you'll only start increasing its regularity.

Cyanide

Novice
Hmm… If this is the first time you got the medal then that means you just finished the tutorial part of the game, I.E. the main story.

Prepare yourself, the fun part is just about to begin.
Yeah....Soldier of the Giant Gods is brutal :(
I have to grind even more

Cyanide

Novice
I'd rather keep that samurai. Dual Murasames are quite effective and Swallow Return is awesome - and you'll only start increasing its regularity.
I guess I can steal those Murasamas right? My thief can disarm and steal from enemies now. So far im trying to steal good equipment from the Volcano and the underground sanctum

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not sure if there's someone you can steal them from.
But the Vulcano sounds about right where to drop them. Might require some grinding though...

Personally didn't find Thief very useful in Gothic (as opposed to Original). I definitely prefer a ninja.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
But the Vulcano sounds about right where to drop them. Might require some grinding though...

Personally didn't find Thief very useful in Gothic (as opposed to Original). I definitely prefer a ninja.

it's the 3ds version though, I don't remember about all the items you can steal but the final boss of the main story has a pretty good weapon to steal.

Cyanide

Novice

it's the 3ds version though, I don't remember about all the items you can steal but the final boss of the main story has a pretty good weapon to steal.
So far I've managed to steal and find awesome gear, among them the famous Murasama in Soldier of the Giant Gods....however many items/equipment are cursed and can't be removed once equiped, unless I destroy them with the alchemy spell or in the town's shop.
Is there a way to fix cursed items without destroying them?

Dorarnae

Arbiter

So far I've managed to steal and find awesome gear, among them the famous Murasama in Soldier of the Giant Gods....however many items/equipment are cursed and can't be removed once equiped, unless I destroy them with the alchemy spell or in the town's shop.
Is there a way to fix cursed items without destroying them?

you can make curse items equipable with crafting(alchemist) or if your character is devilish he should be able to equip it without being cursed.

turkishronin

Arcane
I'm actually liking the setting and characters in Elminage Ibun it's a shame that it's such a bad game that shouldn't be called "Elminage" at all. (punching a ghost with bare hands in an Elminage game? Heresy. Magic use based on MP?? REEE)

Cyanide

Novice
I'm actually liking the setting and characters in Elminage Ibun it's a shame that it's such a bad game that shouldn't be called "Elminage" at all. (punching a ghost with bare hands in an Elminage game? Heresy. Magic use based on MP?? REEE)
Well, I played Ibun on my PSP, and im planning to play it again on my 3DS, just like im playing Gothic.
I liked the game, but it had little enemy variety in my opinion. Still, I can't wait to see Ibun's new content on the 3D remix

Cyanide

Novice
Soldier of the Giant Gods? You ain't seen nothing yet.
If you mean the infamous Ibag Tower....yeah, I just started to experience hell by getting my ass kicked by almost everyone, specially by the fabulous Skillving and getting nuked byTerrors with their Enterook Mista.
My characters are lv 43 to 47, maybe I need to grind some more levels :stunned:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom