Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The last RPGs you're going to play

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
i'm going to mirror what bionicman and is saying: there's no way to accurately predict when your date with death is gonna happen. it could be tomorrow, or it could be in 60 years. if you cloud your judgement of the world with grimness and hopelessness, it'll make everything seem pointless

anyway, when i'm in my 70s or whatever i'll probably just be playing the same things i usually play, but for what *specific* games, i have no idea. if i were to guess, i'd probably say i'd play slower paced rpgs or strategy games

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Dragon Age - Origins
and some DLCs when there's still some time

Finally got into it recently, pity that happened when I got less insterests in games and free time

Maybe some Spiderweb title, like Escape from the Pit?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Hmmmm.... what would your setup look like? I found i prefer a gamepad with fishing games.

a large screen, a few bayside windows and skylights for real atmosphere. I want to smell that fresh water smell (unless i'm ocean fishing). Comfy lounge chair/couch. Maybe some subdued relaxing music, a hat to tilt and block the light when i'm going to nap, some booze and maybe snacks. Some might say VR... i dunno as I have no experience with VR.

or

Viata

Arcane
Hmmmm.... what would your setup look like? I found i prefer a gamepad with fishing games.

a large screen, a few bayside windows and skylights for real atmosphere. I want to smell that fresh water smell (unless i'm ocean fishing). Comfy lounge chair/couch. Maybe some subdued relaxing music, a hat to tilt and block the light when i'm going to nap, some booze and maybe snacks. Some might say VR... i dunno as I have no experience with VR.

or

At that point, I just go out to fish in a real river.

Captain Sicko

Literate
The bard‘s tale (never finished any part)
Curse of the azure bonds (played it for a couple of hours when it came out, can‘t remember why I dropped it)
Underrail
Knights of the chalice
Icewind dale (finished it, but always wanted to play it again with heart of winter)

Torus

Novice
You've got to choose one.

The straight people trope that you should basically hate your partner is dumb; marry someone that's your best friend, not your biggest restraint.

That's the straight people trope as well. There's a just a lot of weird ideology in some circles. It's a bit like saying having 1000 partners on average and being a diseased wreck at 30 is representative for gays.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
The bard‘s tale (never finished any part)
Curse of the azure bonds (played it for a couple of hours when it came out, can‘t remember why I dropped it)
Underrail
Knights of the chalice
Icewind dale (finished it, but always wanted to play it again with heart of winter)

I've had the remaster of IWD installed for a while. I forgot about that one. I think that should definitely be somewhere on my list.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
That's the straight people trope as well. There's a just a lot of weird ideology in some circles. It's a bit like saying having 1000 partners on average and being a diseased wreck at 30 is representative for gays.

I'm not saying it's the norm, but it's all too commonly a subject of humour.

And maybe you're not getting what I mean by best friend, but I've seen plenty of guys act as though it would be the worst thing in the world if their girlfriend/wife shared their hobbies. I don't pretend to understand it beyond an odd territorialism, and that same notion that they secretly hate their partner and don't want to spend "hobby time" with them.

Either way, if you're going to be stuck in the prepper shelter together, you better learn to talk to your woman about RPGs lmao.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
And maybe you're not getting what I mean by best friend, but I've seen plenty of guys act as though it would be the worst thing in the world if their girlfriend/wife shared their hobbies. I don't pretend to understand it beyond an odd territorialism, and that same notion that they secretly hate their partner and don't want to spend "hobby time" with them.

Either way, if you're going to be stuck in the prepper shelter together, you better learn to talk to your woman about RPGs lmao.

I think it's more just wanting some "me time" to do their own thing away from their spouse. A bit of breathing space. Just because you want time away from her doesn't mean you secretly hate her. Lots of couples have lots of fun together. It's also worth taking what men say about their GFs with a grain of salt. The one's who talk like they wear the pants, or are the crudest about women are usually totally different when their GF is around. All lovey dovey and "yes dear."

What I find weird is the level of disdain shown by many here for the hobby of playing RPGs. I've seen comments about how people wouldn't date a girl who plays RPGs (in another thread I made) or how they wouldn't want their kid to play RPGs. Now in this thread it's "if" they are going to die they don't want to play RPGs but instead go out and abuse drugs and have sex with hookers (I've done both and neither is as fun as you may think). I would have thought that in this of all places I wouldn't have to defend the validity cRPGs as a hobby but that isn't the case. RPGs are a great hobby to have and a fun way to spend your time! Drugs are fun too but come with a lot of baggage that isn't worth it! Hooker sex is not fun, it's lame, can be dangerous and it's a huge waste of money!

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I would have thought that in this of all places I wouldn't have to defend the validity cRPGs as a hobby but that isn't the case. RPGs are a great hobby to have and a fun way to spend your time!

Probably a refracted self-hate thing. It's weird as hell to me, because when I lived in Australia, it was super normal for women under 30-something to play games, with RPGs being probably the most common genre they were into (esp. the likes of Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas for whatever reasons) — mobile games aside, obviously, but I don't really consider that a part of the same conversation.

Wanting me-time as you put it is definitely a normal, valid thing; but there's no reason you can't have time to yourself while doing something that your partner also takes an interest in.

I don't know if we should stop derailing this thread, or if it's so sensational that that doesn't even matter.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Matrix Cubed.

start_1034.png

beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep...

Null Null

Arbiter

I think it's more just wanting some "me time" to do their own thing away from their spouse. A bit of breathing space. Just because you want time away from her doesn't mean you secretly hate her. Lots of couples have lots of fun together. It's also worth taking what men say about their GFs with a grain of salt. The one's who talk like they wear the pants, or are the crudest about women are usually totally different when their GF is around. All lovey dovey and "yes dear."

What I find weird is the level of disdain shown by many here for the hobby of playing RPGs. I've seen comments about how people wouldn't date a girl who plays RPGs (in another thread I made) or how they wouldn't want their kid to play RPGs. Now in this thread it's "if" they are going to die they don't want to play RPGs but instead go out and abuse drugs and have sex with hookers (I've done both and neither is as fun as you may think). I would have thought that in this of all places I wouldn't have to defend the validity cRPGs as a hobby but that isn't the case. RPGs are a great hobby to have and a fun way to spend your time! Drugs are fun too but come with a lot of baggage that isn't worth it! Hooker sex is not fun, it's lame, can be dangerous and it's a huge waste of money!

Theodora's right about the self-hatred thing... In my day (Xennial), anything geeky was a severe barrier to getting laid (as a dude, as a woman obviously it was a great strategy!). Drugs are risk-taking and therefore masculine. (Almost any other traditionally masculine hobby is better for you, of course.) Paying for sex...well, it's sex. While I support full decriminalization of sex work (I have a hard time with crimes with two willing participants, not to mention the increased risks of violence to both parties with criminalization) it's usually not your best option.

I wouldn't have a problem with a girl/woman who plays RPGs. I've never met one IRL but they do exist obviously--given the gender ratio they tend to get boyfriends fast. (OK, there was one...it's a long story.) Thing with the kid is, you want your kids to be successful, and they don't conduce to anything useful. Sports and outdoor stuff build muscle and confidence, books help with knowledge and schoolwork, even music and the arts can help with the opposite sex. But they're better than drugs--I never heard of Call of Duty giving anyone liver failure, heart attacks, or heart valve infections. It's like any mildly bad hobby--you might enjoy a beer but you probably wouldn't turn your kids onto that.

I do hear you on the me-time. It really depends on the woman...often if she has a few 'girly' hobbies she'll accept she can't do those with you either and grant you the time for yours. The one thing I would say about 'straight/gay people tropes' is don't believe everything you read in the media. They have a particular audience they're selling to and, often, a particular agenda. With the collapse in ad revenue pretty much the only way they can stay in business is to build subscriptions, and tell their subscribers exactly what they want to hear. The New York Times is basically calibrated never to offend an upper-middle-class woman who lives on the Upper West Side (and I use this example only because I am an ex-New Yorker and remember the type). Similarly, Fox News tells blue-collar middle-aged and older white guys in the Midwest and South what they want to hear. Read multiple sources, preferably from different sides of the aisle. If nothing else you'll realize how they slant the same events to placate their readership.

To the OP: I'm not alt-right, but you sound really depressed, if you want to complain about the state of society feel free to DM me.

InSight

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Our world is ending and most of us are going to die this decade. A decade is optimistic, to be frank.

1 John/יחנן/Yah-hanan/ 2:17 Young's Literal Translation

"17. and the world doth pass away, and the desire of it, and he who is doing the will of God, he doth remain -- to the age."

pslam 125:1
"Those trusting in Yahuha/YHWH/יהוה are as Mount Zion, It is not moved -- to the age it abide."

How can a man predict with certainty what the morrow brings. If even walking the streets can end in death, how can one begin to decide/measure/plan what will the last game one plays?

Assuming it was certain and possible; would one not want to play the best as last if men is often short of memory, recent memories being strongest.
And how can one judge/value/rank the best if they are continuously being made?
Ultimately the best CRPG will exist at time when making CRPG is impossible, never their will be more of its ilk/like
and it shall encompass/contain/have all the good(and perhaps even the bad) qualities of its predecessors.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

A MF who tries to have traditional views on marriage end up killing their wife, her new boyfriend, their kids and themself. Not a good look. Should get with the times. There is no such thing as marriage these days

Has their been such cases/example with rural areas, country sides such as with the Amish people?

It reminds of the book:The Predatory Female which contains description that could help avoid such situations/marriage.
Which also reminds of a Russian movie where the main character who charts the wilderness is surprised to find out how easy it is to uncover a thief for they leave tracks when compared to city life.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom