Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Japantown is fucking wild.

YCp1sRB.jpeg

In other news, I absolutely love this car to death.

ofZpCbI.png

XAZj8Cm.jpeg

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think using vocabulary from the original pnp lore is the least of the game’s problems. Maybe you guys are not familiar with cp2020?
I know it's from the PnP setting, but it sounds so forced, especially when some community manager is using it as a form of addressing. It's cringe enough when they generally pretend to be our buddies, but they start using PnP slang too? Anyway, it's not the biggest problem, true.

BTW, I've read up on the PnP setting, and in retrospect the forecasted futures for most regions of the world sound quite implausible. It goes out of its way to predict as bleak a future for the US as it can, while the EU is some kind of a futuristic version of Valinor. The things it gets right are the things it inherits from the genre book authors. As with most fantasy settings, it's alright until you actually delve into it.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think using vocabulary from the original pnp lore is the least of the game’s problems. Maybe you guys are not familiar with cp2020?
I know it's from the PnP setting, but it sounds so forced, especially when some community manager is using it as a form of addressing. It's cringe enough when they generally pretend to be our buddies, but they start using PnP slang too? Anyway, it's not the biggest problem, true.

BTW, I've read up on the PnP setting, and in retrospect the forecasted futures for most regions of the world sound quite implausible. It goes out of its way to predict as bleak a future for the US as it can, while the EU is some kind of a futuristic version of Valinor. The things it gets right are the things it inherits from the genre book authors. As with most fantasy settings, it's alright until you actually delve into it.

FWIW, it looks dumb in print too. ;)

But community manager types doing this sort of thing isn't anything new. Pretty much anything coming out of Larian or Owlcat springs to mind.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Fair enough, when used by a community manager it's kinda "hi fellow kids" approach.

giphy.gif

As for the lore, I don't thing anything ever outside Night City itself was interesting to our group, and we have played the pnp since 1992 or so. Europe, what's that anyways? Nowadays a typical session is quite a bit more like a scene from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas or from No Pain No Gain, though. Low quality, low tech :D.
BTW, Pondsmith himself has said Walter Jon Williams has had the most influence on him, of the genre's writers.

And it's my fondness for the NC itself, why I like the game more than most people here, warts and all.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
BTW, Pondsmith himself has said Walter Jon Williams has had the most influence on him, of the genre's writers.

Aha! I thought so. While playing CP2077 I vaguely thought I detected echoes of Hardwired (I'm not familiar with the PnP) - e.g. the tank, the name Cunningham. It was one of my fave books in the genre at the time.

The winds of potato magic blow ever stronger. And so does the Sinnerman mission ("quest"?):
Attempt 1:
1. From the moment you meet Jablonski to the moment you meet Wacko-Jesus you are not allowed to save the game.
2. When you exit the car with Jablonski who rushes to kill Wacko-Jesus, if you run ahead of him, the cop will kill Jablonski as per the game script.

However, that is when the "police "system"" kicks in, the cop considers you a felon, you get a wanted rating, and the cop shoots you down.
It gets better - the cop seems to be invulnerable because he is a quest NPC :lol:

Reload game, try again.

Attempt 2:
1. Go through the car chase again because you are not allowed to save the game, complete with dumb ass scripted cars that jump in your way, to add "tension".
2. Once you start chasing Wacko-Jesus who is riding in the NCPD car, a quest-specific "car chase" music starts.
3. If you turn down Wacko-Jesus and refuse to ride with him, the mission ends there, which is really a deliverance.

However,
the "car chase" music never stops.

I've seen people reporting this bug with combat music and one suggestion was to enter some other combat so the music switches and then stops after that combat is over, supposedly.

Didn't work. Reload game, fuck this mission, go do something else.

Potato magic at work.

PP: these bugs would be discovered by the most superficial of QA testing. You can bet your balls no one in CDPR played through this mission more than once, making sure he passes it right.
Keep hating nigger, worked on my 3080 god tier machine on launch.

Trithne

Erudite
Did all of Regina's gigs and got a Legendary piece of ware I can't use due to stat requirements.

Also you can't half tell they put all their effort into Watson. Most fixers have half a dozen or so gigs, and then here's Regina with 22.

Fargus

Arcane
Regina's gigs are trash, it's quantity over quality. I completed all of them and yet i don't remember a single one in details. Just mmo shit in design. Majority of gigs in this game feel copy pasted and exist only so you could grind exp to get to level 50. Even some yellow side jobs could barely pass for an encounter, seriously a diner robbery with a few lines of dialogue is a side quest now? Lmao it should have been a random encounter. But i must admit there were some really cool written side quests too. And main story is ok. Too bad it all was mashed together with some really awful ubisoft tier crap and it seems like it was done at the last moment too.

I also don't get why record all male protag voice lines for Judy's romance, leave them in the files and then remove the option for males to romance her entirely? Guess they were running out of time and just had to make one option exclusive to dykes for browny points or some shit. lol at them.

And just so much cut content in general. Kinda makes me sad. In a better world it could have been a good game.

In other news, I absolutely love this car to death.

ofZpCbI.png

XAZj8Cm.jpeg

Nomad cars a pretty dope, yeah. I was riding one myself. Shion Coyote.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
seriously a diner robbery with a few lines of dialogue is a side quest now?
I already made this argument earlier.

See this and the posts after it:
In CP77 you either have completely lifeless gigs which you described. They may incoprporate combat and hacking or lockpicking, but everything else feels like attacking a raider outpost in Fallout 3/4. On the other hand you have the multiple-stages secondary quests like "I fought the Law" or "Sinnerman", which feel frustraitingly on rails. In fact playing through these felt like playing an earlier game than Witcher 3, where the Witcher 3 approach was still experimented with and was in the early stages of perfecting. So that's what they need to bring back to breathe some life into Cyberpunk 77. I doubt it's possible, but we'll see I guess.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
seriously a diner robbery with a few lines of dialogue is a side quest now?
I already made this argument earlier.

See this and the posts after it:
In CP77 you either have completely lifeless gigs which you described. They may incoprporate combat and hacking or lockpicking, but everything else feels like attacking a raider outpost in Fallout 3/4. On the other hand you have the multiple-stages secondary quests like "I fought the Law" or "Sinnerman", which feel frustraitingly on rails. In fact playing through these felt like playing an earlier game than Witcher 3, where the Witcher 3 approach was still experimented with and was in the early stages of perfecting. So that's what they need to bring back to breathe some life into Cyberpunk 77. I doubt it's possible, but we'll see I guess.
Yes but even when you cut out the filler gigs and short quests you still have about 50h of worthwhile content (main story + side jobs) they should have just do the hub world if they couldnt fill out the open world with enough good content but that wouldnt sell so many copies.

I think the main problem is the engine they were making together with developing content. They could make so many quests in Witcher 3 because all the systems were already in place since witcher 2 they just improved them in cyberbug they had to develop new stuff like gunplay, different dialogue system (you arent placed in the cutscene when you talk to someone) etc. I dont think anyone would be angry if they just improved cutscene system from witcher 3 but the ambition got in their head and here we are.

Wesp5

Arcane
I also don't get why record all male protag voice lines for Judy's romance, leave them in the files and then remove the option for males to romance her entirely?
And just so much cut content in general.

Very interesting. So are there any restoration projects going on already to restore this content or are people waiting until CDPR patch their own game final first?

AwesomeButton

Patron
Yes but even when you cut out the filler gigs and short quests you still have about 50h of worthwhile content

I'd say "worthwile" with the caveat of "when you play it the first time", because it's very much on rails.

Ironically, last night I played the penultimate mission in Panams quest line. It was practically a scripted sequence with a "combat" which you could completely opt out of - if you stand back the nomads would kill the corpos on their own, no one of your buddies may die, hence no reactivity, etc. etc.

The only C&C in this whole "quest", because this is counted as a "side mission" in the journal, was that it sets up Panam's romance resolution in the next stage of her quest line. :lol:

Fargus

Arcane
I also don't get why record all male protag voice lines for Judy's romance, leave them in the files and then remove the option for males to romance her entirely?
And just so much cut content in general.

Very interesting. So are there any restoration projects going on already to restore this content or are people waiting until CDPR patch their own game final first?

None that i know of. Not sure how moddable the game is. But there is Judy mod. Also a mod that adds police car chases and vehicular combat mod... or there were at least, they both are now hidden on nexus because the new update broke them. The rest i saw was just cosmetic stuff like retextures or model swaps.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Cdpr totally just recorded the male voice lines just in case, guys. She was never meant to be bisexual! Definitely not! Nope!
Hey if the desire to have ingame sex with Judy prompts someone to study programming, who are we to stand in the way of teen energy and passion?

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
The police argument ties into the general identity crisis that the game's been given by the playerbase - a lot of them seemed to expect GTAV but in the cyber future, which is why they put so much attention on crowds reacting to you going on a killing spree and the NCPD turning up and chasing you. None of this is actually stuff the game intends you to do.

There's scripted firefights between NCPD and gangs, which are just at points, but there's no reactivity to them: I saw 2 cops standing 15 feet away from one happening, focusing on their short conversation.

But that's just standard RPG fare, isn't it? They weren't really trying to make a reactive open world, it's just a really big hub. Powered by potato magic.
I'm not expecting GTAV but in a game that relies heavily on its open world sandbox to create immersion, it is very immersion-breaking to have a police force that doesn't respond realistically to events that occur in the game world.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of the lack of realism in the open world, there are tons of other things I could mention.

All these little things drag you out of the simulation and remind you that the game you're playing is pretty shit.

Which is, you know, a problem if you are trying to enjoy the game

There's no game with a realistic police response.

You round the corner, and the police just forget someone murdered 10 people 30 seconds ago.

They shoot you for the smallest offence, and suicidally ram you with their cars, they clearly spawn in around you and it's always obvious that they know where you're hiding so the game forces you to move around hiding spots.

Since the police has the memory of fish, the chases are completely meaningless waste of time.

Police mechanics in open world games are annoying and retarded. Really 2077 has the least annoying version.
"No game has done it well, so the idea of having it is retarded and annoying"

Go drink bleach tbh

Mafia shits on his face.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The police argument ties into the general identity crisis that the game's been given by the playerbase - a lot of them seemed to expect GTAV but in the cyber future, which is why they put so much attention on crowds reacting to you going on a killing spree and the NCPD turning up and chasing you. None of this is actually stuff the game intends you to do.

There's scripted firefights between NCPD and gangs, which are just at points, but there's no reactivity to them: I saw 2 cops standing 15 feet away from one happening, focusing on their short conversation.

But that's just standard RPG fare, isn't it? They weren't really trying to make a reactive open world, it's just a really big hub. Powered by potato magic.
I'm not expecting GTAV but in a game that relies heavily on its open world sandbox to create immersion, it is very immersion-breaking to have a police force that doesn't respond realistically to events that occur in the game world.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of the lack of realism in the open world, there are tons of other things I could mention.

All these little things drag you out of the simulation and remind you that the game you're playing is pretty shit.

Which is, you know, a problem if you are trying to enjoy the game

There's no game with a realistic police response.

You round the corner, and the police just forget someone murdered 10 people 30 seconds ago.

They shoot you for the smallest offence, and suicidally ram you with their cars, they clearly spawn in around you and it's always obvious that they know where you're hiding so the game forces you to move around hiding spots.

Since the police has the memory of fish, the chases are completely meaningless waste of time.

Police mechanics in open world games are annoying and retarded. Really 2077 has the least annoying version.
"No game has done it well, so the idea of having it is retarded and annoying"

Go drink bleach tbh

Mafia shits on his face.
30$ fine right there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom