Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Zeem

Learned
Camp Hathor < Rail Crossing < Foundry < Core City < Expedition
I just take the train to Core City straight away every time – lots of free oddities to collect, plus all the merchants and quests. Not sure the early jetsky will change much for you though – the only thing of note in in lower caves waterways is the Rig, where you don't really have anything to do anyway. I've just scouted all of those waterways in my playthrough, in fact, and they're usually pretty damn empty – there's literally not a single enemy sailing about, and all you find is a couple places of interests and a handful of usually minor quests. Now, don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed what content was there, as well as having the map sort of logically connected now, but there wasn't really anything that could be considered playthrough-changing just because I got an early jet ski.
There is the Abandoned Waterways Facility now spanning three large zones, a number of random events (like Eel patrols and Freebooter attacks), Hopperdrome/Otto/Ludenloff fragments, plus you generally can get a lot of dosh by selling jet ski parts to Boulder/Squeezer.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Since I take Persuasion on every character, I've never had to fight the Rathound King. It seems like a shame to remove such a character from the world.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
how does corrosive acid affect chemical blob trap? Whats the lowest chemistry one can go with?

Tigranes

Arcane
To be fair, this is my first time getting even nearly this far. I usually fail out of this game after the 7th consecutive death to the rathound king.

Do you fail at killing him solo or with Edgar and his lads?
Solo. Always solo. I didn't even know you could get Edgar to help.

I have gotten better, this time I only died 3 times. 2 of the 3 to the ancient rathound.

The 3rd was to my stun missing the King and him aimed shotting me to death.

EDIT: That aside, Fuck Coil Spiders. I imagine I'll get ways to deal with them eventually, but right now they spot my sneaking ass and stun me in the first round. And then kill me by the second.

With high stealth you can close the side door to the back yard, stopping most of the ratties from joining the fight. You can also throw poisoned caltrops from a safe distance at the King's room - and then close the door and trap the entryway. Thing about Underrail is there's always a lot of cool ways to deal with it.

You should never be in an open fight with coil spiders, so the question is how you can kill or disable it on the first turn.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Well lads, I had a brain fart and accidentally rolled with 5 AGL and 3 DEX.

I could load up my hex editor and some form of active memory analyzer, but that seems like a lot of trouble. Also, I'm playing on experimental and don't even know if epeli's global.dat packing tool will work properly.

I really don't want to roll with it, either, as I opted for DEX over AGI for a reason.

I think I'll instead opt to design a new build other than AR tin can and start over, since I'm only just to GMS Compound, and making builds is half the fun anyway.

And let me tell you, after running a stealth build last year, going back to a loud build that has enemies rushing you immediately is hard at the very beginning—especially with the new AP reservation mechanic.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I could load up my hex editor and some form of active memory analyzer, but that seems like a lot of trouble. Also, I'm playing on experimental and don't even know if epeli's global.dat packing tool will work properly.
old table cheat engine can be used to some extend. If you lvlup with stat point increment in safe zone area you will be able to use char gen only cheat to increase number of points and improve agi enough to have interloper if thats your wish

thesecret1

Arcane
going back to a loud build that has enemies rushing you immediately is hard at the very beginning—especially with the new AP reservation mechanic.
Really? I found it much easier since the loud things tend to give you a lot more punch than silent stuff. Plus, if you ignore stealth, you can afford to wear some good protection rather than relying on dodging and evading

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
going back to a loud build that has enemies rushing you immediately is hard at the very beginning—especially with the new AP reservation mechanic.
Really? I found it much easier since the loud things tend to give you a lot more punch than silent stuff. Plus, if you ignore stealth, you can afford to wear some good protection rather than relying on dodging and evading

The six rathounds all coming around a fence in Crossroads at the same time and reserving 10 AP when it takes 3-4 shots with your starter peashooter to kill one of them is a bit rough, even with flares. Also, their fear of fire wears off suspiciously quickly now.

At that juncture, though, every incendiary grenade you find or buy is essentially an I Win button, so for the first time I can recall, I opted for purchasing victories. Normally, I try to scrimp and conserve in the early game.

After that, I got a new random quest location with terrible dialogue writing that dropped a load of loot on me, and from then on I was mowing things down with a shotgun and SMG while wearing an 11 DT overcoat.

epeli

Arcane
Also, I'm playing on experimental and don't even know if epeli's global.dat packing tool will work properly.

At this point I can guarantee it will never stop working for original Underrail, but it is probably the most painful option for editing your character.

pizza_microwave

Liturgist
Well lads, I had a brain fart and accidentally rolled with 5 AGL and 3 DEX.

I really don't want to roll with it, either, as I opted for DEX over AGI for a reason.

I think I'll instead opt to design a new build other than AR tin can and start over, since I'm only just to GMS Compound, and making builds is half the fun anyway.

And let me tell you, after running a stealth build last year, going back to a loud build that has enemies rushing you immediately is hard at the very beginning—especially with the new AP reservation mechanic.

Update is on main branch now, no need for experimental build.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Few questions about the sniper build I'm tinkering with:

• How important is Strafe? Can/should I rely on a sidearm instead, perhaps a shotgun (and perhaps with Barrel Stare in lieu of Strafe)?
  • Do I truly need high critical chance (specifically, Recklessness and Scrutinous) when neither Aimed Shot nor Snipe utilize crit chance, and I plan to generally use Smart Goggles and Anatomically Aware Scope?
  • Almost certainly going to be wearing goggles, will most likely skip Dodge. Uncanny Dodge seems marginal with low skill. Should I fit Evasion into the build? My Spec Ops SMG guy could easily do without, and shield emitters soak bullets handily.
  • Hit and Run would certainly synergize well with feats like Blitz and Strider, for fucking off after converting MP and popping cooldowns. Worth including?
  • Mildly considering relying on Traps instead of Throwing for the first time since my Crossbows build, but....

That's about it, really.

roll-a-die

Magister
I'm gonna say this now, if this shits sequel is as good as this shit, I'mma probably play the shit out of it too. I've just made it through Rail Crossing.

My basic build is a DnD rogue. Sneak and stab, and die if I don't kill things quick enough.

0 Crafting skills, some talky skills. Mostly combat and stealing.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Few questions about the sniper build I'm tinkering with:

• How important is Strafe? Can/should I rely on a sidearm instead, perhaps a shotgun (and perhaps with Barrel Stare in lieu of Strafe)?
  • Do I truly need high critical chance (specifically, Recklessness and Scrutinous) when neither Aimed Shot nor Snipe utilize crit chance, and I plan to generally use Smart Goggles and Anatomically Aware Scope?
  • Almost certainly going to be wearing goggles, will most likely skip Dodge. Uncanny Dodge seems marginal with low skill. Should I fit Evasion into the build? My Spec Ops SMG guy could easily do without, and shield emitters soak bullets handily.
  • Hit and Run would certainly synergize well with feats like Blitz and Strider, for fucking off after converting MP and popping cooldowns. Worth including?
  • Mildly considering relying on Traps instead of Throwing for the first time since my Crossbows build, but....
That's about it, really.
  • Strafe is almost mandatory on a sniper build. With spearhead it results in 0% move penalty, which is invalueable.
  • You need high crit chance because both Aimed Shot and Snipe will be typically used on 1st turn and tere's no time to wait around. Ideally you should replace smart goggles with seekers once your damage gets good enough. With the W2C nerf this will come later. Might even need to put some spec points in crit power.
  • Uncanny dodge can be a difference between life and death even at base 3 stacks, I would take it almost always if I had the AGI for it even if I didn't pump dodge beyond the requirement. Evasion is not necessary, but it helps if you have the points for it.
  • Hit and Run is not bad but I think Sprint is more valueable and sufficent. You often need MP the most when you are not killing anything on that particular turn.
  • Traps are good on any build, just better on crossbows. Quick Tinkering is still as broken as always.

Also worth nothing - while TM benefits any build and is overall pretty broken, it synergises even better with snipers. It offers everything they need, more than other builds - you need AP because you get fewer attacks, you need MP from contraction because you will always start fights out of stealth and possibly restealth to use Snipe again, you need cooldown reduction because snipers are all about getting Shooting Spree faster and reusing Aimed Shot and often as possible.

Last edited:

Knifegaf

Novice
never compromise, never pick cave wizardry

I went psiless once. The build centered around having 100% mech reduction when at low health without the need for morphine. The downside was that any other type of damage would almost certainly kill me so I opted to go psiless and stack as much con and health as possible to give myself extra buffer. I finally achieved my goal and after one fight the build was nerfed. The lesson here is clear. Psiless is bad and if you try to make it good it will be nerfed

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

I went psiless once. The build centered around having 100% mech reduction when at low health without the need for morphine. The downside was that any other type of damage would almost certainly kill me so I opted to go psiless and stack as much con and health as possible to give myself extra buffer. I finally achieved my goal and after one fight the build was nerfed. The lesson here is clear. Psiless is bad and if you try to make it good it will be nerfed
just pick your larp man, plenty of pissless builds for dominating in this thread

Knifegaf

Novice

just pick your larp man, plenty of pissless builds for dominating in this thread
The one time I went psiless it was because I saw a reason to. Haven’t found another since and doubt I will

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Then you can steal better parts from empty ray place

How is robbing Ray now possible? If that's the camera jammer item, where did you get it?

Anyway for those who don't know, the best location for pimping out your jet is the Abandoned Waterway Facility. Don't settle for anything but the biggest jets.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Which battle-ski is best currently? Glow, Shark, Leviator or Devastator? Do those energy weapons work with lemco tesla armor?

Also, I really wish we had shield and pistol related feats like some sort of hunker down ability, where you essentially kneel behind your riot shield like a barricade, and for that turn can't move but your accuracy and rapid fire ability increase significantly as does your blocking from the front.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Also I want a 2 hander type feat for swords so I can wield the claymore while decked in my tungsten armor like a fucking boss.

2 handed would either increase ability to bypass damage resistance thru sheer force or something similar.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Which battle-ski is best currently? Glow, Shark, Leviator or Devastator?
depends on your build, whether you need both balance things, how much you value movement etc.

Then you can steal better parts from empty ray place

How is robbing Ray now possible? If that's the camera jammer item, where did you get it?

Anyway for those who don't know, the best location for pimping out your jet is the Abandoned Waterway Facility. Don't settle for anything but the biggest jets.
it was always possible to rob parts from shelves in his shop. Granted those are RNG and on my last run I found only junk.
Jammer is given by phreak during his quests. It basically doubles the time before camera goes red.
It doesnt allow you to steal quality jets, as I stated its not enough to open the gate. It does allow you to steal few more jets in front of the shop.
With jammer its possible to steal parts from some of the quality jets

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I do wish there were random encounters on the water where the devastator was the most optimal, like some sort of situation of encountering protectorate scum on well armored and armed skiffs, etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom