Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
There are some more screenshots on the steam page, btw:

ss_f66c8ac69bce5301a6f0c52d9428bbe923310179.1920x1080.jpg
I like that Kemmler meme vibes
Heinrich-Kemmler-Warhammer-Fantasy-%D1%84%D1%8D%D0%BD%D0%B4%D0%BE%D0%BC%D1%8B-Krell-5364004.jpeg

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Seems these potions are one off permanent bonuses. Will be cool planning your uberbro builds.

Thematically this seems like the coolest origin. Makes more sense than the "beast slayer" origin for sure.
We wuz witchers and shit. I think thematically they make sense.
The problem with beast slayers is that it is one of the origins that changes very little in how one should play the game. Cultists, Militia/the slavers, Lone Wolf... maybe some more i forgot are the interesting ones because they modify the gameplay in a significant matter.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
wasn't this game supposed to receive one, maybe two dlcs at best and that's it? i'm not even mad, that's amazing.

Originally it was gonna be zero DLCs, they said it was too hard due to all the spaghetti code, we had the beg them for a year to do even one

The only thing missing in this game is a map editor, or a way to customize the world more.

It could use a challenge after the crisis, like a combined mega invasion, which the player has to respond to.

After the early game there isn't much tension as long as the player knows which fights to avoid.

Barbarian

Arcane
Seems these potions are one off permanent bonuses. Will be cool planning your uberbro builds.

Thematically this seems like the coolest origin. Makes more sense than the "beast slayer" origin for sure.
We wuz witchers and shit. I think thematically they make sense.
The problem with beast slayers is that it is one of the origins that changes very little in how one should play the game. Cultists, Militia/the slavers, Lone Wolf... maybe some more i forgot are the interesting ones because they modify the gameplay in a significant matter.

The only thing that doesn't make much sense to me is the penalty the origin gets: "Can never be of confident morale". It is a pretty hefty penalty, perhaps a fair counterbalance to the boons the mutations get you, but somewhat nonsensical.

I mean, it makes sense for the characters with the anatomist background, but what about characters you hire from other backgrounds? You will get hedge knights and retired soldiers always having at most steady morale because they are "not fighters"(lol). It might bug out some other things too(like the houndmaster background bros always unleashing confident hounds - will that be broken?). That is assuming the origin will have no hiring restrictions such as the peasant militia origin.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I mean, it makes sense for the characters with the anatomist background, but what about characters you hire from other backgrounds? You will get hedge knights and retired soldiers always having at most steady morale because they are "not fighters"(lol). It might bug out some other things too(like the houndmaster background bros always unleashing confident hounds - will that be broken?). That is assuming the origin will have no hiring restrictions such as the peasant militia origin.

The "not fighters" could be about the leadership. Hedge knights and retired soldiers might not have complete faith in a mercenary company led by bunch of bookworms who get excited for picking apart corpses.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
The new backgrounds look very interesting from what has been shown so far.

It seems the Paladins are like the northern version of Gladiators, with heavy gear from the get go. I have a feeling it's gonna be the most OP origin early game, but we shall see.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-146-the-oathtakers/

Dev Blog #146: The Oathtakers
The free ‘Of Flesh and Faith’ DLC coming to Battle Brothers on March 10th will introduce two new origins to the game. We already looked at the Anatomists and their ambition to find salvation in knowledge about the flesh last week, so today we’ll take a closer look at the Oathtakers, who seek their salvation in faith. Let’s head on!

The Oathtakers
Oathtakers are knightly warriors beholden not to liege lords, but to the ideals and teachings of their founder, the late Young Anselm. Though his own time in the world was tragically cut short, death only made him immortal as he lives on as a paragon of righteousness and virtue in the minds of his followers. His teachings provide guidance, and his skull is revered as a holy relic, a provenance of courage in the sea of chaos that is the world of Battle Brothers. To walk the path of Young Anselm is to take oaths to right the wrongs in this world, and even to sacrifice oneself for the greater good if need be. Essentially paladins, Oathtakers are also on a quest to make whole the shattered skull of their founder. All that stands in their way is a nemesis born in the schism of Young Anselm’s death, a heresy which must be found and destroyed.

66465ab9c92f32135144c675169b344eba420200.jpg

This dedicated lot starts their quest with two skilled warriors and good equipment. Uniquely among all origins in the game, they also start out with a company banner right on day one, as well as a relic which replaces the sergeant’s sash. The Oathtakers origin does not have access to ambitions like other origins do, but instead has their very own system of taking oaths.

bad9a163b769ae508b52aceeb4cec76127657a2f.jpg

Every ten days it falls upon you to choose one from between several oaths that the company should take. This oath will then be active for the next ten days and grant you both advantages and disadvantages, called boons and burdens. For example, having pledged the Oath of Honor, your men will start every battle with confident morale but can not use any ranged weapons or throwing tools. Having pledged the Oath of Vengeance instead, your men will benefit from substantially increased attributes in battle against greenskins, but suffer penalties in battle against other factions.

Once ten days have passed and the oath is completed, you’ll gain a fixed amount of renown. You can gain additional renown by completing an objective that depends on both the oath chosen and the level of difficulty that you’re playing at. For example, with the Oath of Honor you gain additional renown if your men manage to kill opponents in one-on-one fights, without your other men interfering. There’s a total of twelve different oaths in the game, and you can choose the same oath multiple times over the course of a campaign, just not twice in a row.

14773a83401f064d04f63e71b00d8f97fcd49bad.jpg

Oathtakers are as fashionable as they are dedicated, so they come with their own adorned armor and helmets, and even a brand new and appropriately sacred-looking banner to hoist for your company. Even if you’re playing with another company origin, you can hire Oathtakers as a new character background to get access to their equipment and potentially strong members for your roster. And if you’re playing as Oathtakers, you’ll get to experience a whole bunch of new events along their quest to mend the shattered relic of their founder.

You can now wishlist the free DLC on Steam by clicking the widget below. Visit the Overhype Studios Discord to discuss everything Battle Brothers, and sign up to the Overhype Studios newsletter to always be the first to know!

Barbarian

Arcane
Both new origins seem too cool for school.

I'm going with not-witchers for my next playthrough though. Can't wait to put together a cadre of mutated albino mercenaries.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Darth Canoli i summon thee!* ... if you have a few minutes to answer some questions that is.
Waiting for the new DLC i am trying Legends and i have a few questions. Let's start with:
1. Are there any broken perks? I don't ask about strong and weak perks but about not working as intended (or at all) or ridiculously overpowered ones.
2. I started with "dynamic perks" because it is the default but it looks a bit random on some bros. What is your opinion on those?

*or anyone else who played Legends mod not very long time ago.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Huh, with all the additions to this game it really seems this Battle Brothers game is one of these "Ultimate CRPGs" that has just oodles of 'stuff' to keep u entertained with. I'm going to go ahead and likely start a new campaign soon, it would mark my first time playing the game, plus I own all the DLC. Should be fun! :) Any non-spoiler things I should know before jumping in?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Don't start on the highest difficulty settings. Unless you think of yourself as Napoleon of tactical computer combat or a real glutton for punishments. In this games difficulties work like in the "good, old times". Which means that already the middle difficulty can be challenging for a newcomer.

And don't be shocked - but almost no one has legs in this game.
:smug:

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Don't start on the highest difficulty settings. Unless you think of yourself as Napoleon of tactical computer combat or a real glutton for punishments. In this games difficulties work like in the "good, old times". Which means that already the middle difficulty can be challenging for a newcomer.

And don't be shocked - but almost no one has legs in this game.
:smug:

Sounds good! I'll pick a middling difficulty to start with, which probably equates to "Hard" for other RPGs.

No legs? No problem! Kinda...odd...but I'm not in it for the graphics, I'm in it for that sweet, sweet combat and simulation. :)

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pity that competing mercenary companies don't seem to use varied origins.
It would be interesting to fight against both of the new company backgrounds.

Would be cool to have more interactions with them overall. Maybe sharing for difficult contracts and so on. This game has so much potential on the sandbox front.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

Would be cool to have more interactions with them overall. Maybe sharing for difficult contracts and so on. This game has so much potential on the sandbox front.
Something like interactions with other rangers in Space Rangers 2?

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Yes, that's the problem. Combat is great, atmosphere is good but what happens outside combat is... meh. The world is static, everything that happens is "for you". Even enemies are level scaled for your benefit - thankfully only to a certain degree which means the "run for your life" is heard from time to time, especially in early and mid game.
A good sandbox should allow for events in the world to happen independently. It makes for a "living", interesting world. For example the noble house not starting a fight randomly but having real relationship and only doing that if those go down too much. Player could make some missions from one of the houses that would influence that. Another possibility is player company competing with other companies for contracts, money and glory. And so on.

Space Rangers 2 is a good example of events happening independently from player. The whole war is simulated independently iirc.

Huh, with all the additions to this game it really seems this Battle Brothers game is one of these "Ultimate CRPGs" that has just oodles of 'stuff' to keep u entertained with. I'm going to go ahead and likely start a new campaign soon, it would mark my first time playing the game, plus I own all the DLC. Should be fun! :) Any non-spoiler things I should know before jumping in?
lances. lots of lances. several fights you won't have to even move at all. then the undead will buttrape you, but this is another story and shall be told another time.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
No one played Legends here? Other than Darth? I expected better results, a group of prestigious gentlemen who played the biggest mod for Battle Brothers and then decided that individuals as prestigious as themselves should return to playing vanilla Battle Brothers. Which is the most prestigious version. Well, i'd have to wait for him or visit discord - which is much less prestigious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom