Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

why do so many people here hate modern games ?

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
From Whisper signature

From all of these comments I noticed a trend: Old Skool RPGs were difficult because they required persistence and hard work to figure out how to get to the end. Newer RPGs were challenging to finish because they get so boring you don't even want to finish them (c)

Nuff said.

Bah

Arcane
You got one thing totally wrong. I don't find Planescape lacking because i disliked its decent (for a crpg) story or well written text. Story or writing* is always better when it is of good quality than bad. DUH. If that story and writing were in ADDITION to equally good gameplay, I'd be happy. The cause of Planescape being average (not bad, just not great either) as crpg was the mediocrity in many other areas than story/quality of writing and some quest design. Basically the developers concentrated on story/writing but left a lot off other things poorly fleshed out (things other than just combat!). Which is not surprising, you can't focus on everything. And I DO think that story is secondary to gameplay and it was a bad call to switch the priorities. On the other hand it was a relatively original crpg in some ways, that's a plus.
But it is not the place to talk about Planescape cons and pros in detail. Also it was discussed many times on the codex.

*bad quality writing + a lot of text that is not easily skip-able is a major turn off.

I'm personally a huge fan of Adventure games, which typically lacked all the things that many people missed in Planescape. So when I play PS:T, I view it as an adventure game / rpg hybrid -- trading the silly and undecipherable puzzles of adventure games for the RPG-style conversation trees and a *tiny* element of RPG combat. From this perspective, I find PS:T to be original (as you agreed) and one of the best examples of an Adventure/RPG hybrid game (another notable example being the Quest for Glory series from Sierra).

But again, I'm a huge fan of Adventure games and a huge fan of RPG games, so I personally find that mashup appealing. This is the same perspective I have when I play Torment: TIdes of Numenera, and probably explains why I continued to like that game while most of the codex does not.

Valdetiosi

Scholar
Modern games has association in public that if you haven't played it you are not along with the time.
Nothing gets me quickly irritated than game that's talked like it's the hottest shit, and then few weeks later all the hype has gone from it.

This on top of needing to wait for "complete editions", dealing with advertisement in game for microtransactions stuff and overall streamlined gameplay, why should I have anything but loathe on them?

Falksi

Arcane
Most modern games are copy-paste hack jobs with shitty gameplay. You only have to look at the difference between the original X-Com '94 and the reboot to see how even a reboot done well is still inferior to the original.

And almost everything is trying to morph into the same "open-world" ahem "RPG", which essentially is a sandbox game without the fun of the Saints Row or early GTA games, but a shed load of cut-scenes to fall asleep to instead.

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't hate modern games, the same way I don't hate every piece of prophylactic media created by committee for the lowest common denominator. I even play them every now and then. The problem, usually, resides in the fact that what modern games tend to emphasise is stuff that I couldn't give less of a shit about. Graphics are very nice, but after 20 minutes the initial awe turns to expectation. If anything looks worse, it feels much worse. If everything looks great, then I only care when I get some particular nice view, and of course, there's always diminishing returns as time goes by. The gameplay for modern games is often shallow, frustration free, and approachable. Probably appreciated if I had never played a video game before, or if I was a woman. But these systems, by definition, are not very engaging. And then there's the stories they tell. They are always shit, easy to understand and yet explained over and over by ethnic characters with dead eyes, because nobody that's able to write masterpieces would waste their art in toys for dumbfucks.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
I think people who write masterpiece should waste their art on toys for PRESTIGIOUS INDIVIDUALS like me!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom