Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2021: Results & Cool Graphs

Skdursh

Savant
while Wrath was played by almost exactly the same percentage (53%) but only got 54% positive votes.
Why did you say this, but then in the "top 10" list below it it says it was rated ~77% positive. You seem to be mixing up the numbers a bit. According to your statistics 54% gave it a 4/4. That isn't the same thing as 54% positive though.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So the top three games are all various degrees of Slavjank. Fitting.

Another day on the Eurodex.

Europe 450,279 54.56%
North America 220,710 26.74%
Asia 86,158 10.44%
South America 34,192 4.14%
Oceania 27,094 3.28%
Africa 6,142 0.74%
Central America 785 0.10%

As someone who routinely points out the Slav bias on these forums, this poll doesn't really prove or disprove anything. There just wasn't much in the way of non-Slav games released last year. If anything, this poll just became a pissing contest between Polacks and Ruskies.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Half the number of voters that we've been getting the past few years. Maybe half our usual crowd didn't care about this year's games and maybe a good chunk of them gave up when they saw that bloated list. Four games got 0 votes period and over 50 got a single digit number of votes. Like I said a while ago, the list of games should be restricted to those that have had a thread with multiple pages worth of discussion. A goty poll is not the time or place for "exposure" for a bunch of RPGs no one gave a damn about for most of a year.

Anyway congratulations to the Archolos fans for successfully downvoting Wrathfinder into second place. :lol: And RIP Encased for screwing up a Fallout clone for the Codex of all places.

i didn't vote because i couldn't be arsed to sift through that humongous list of trash. i also question the purpose of including a bunch of rpgs no one are going to vote for anyway

sorry felipepepe

GloomFrost

Arcane
Good results.
Really happy for Trudograd! An absolute incline. An isometric New Vegas in Cold post ap Russia. Improvement on every front over Atom.:incline:
WOTR is really good and epic but got way way WAY too much woke SJW rubbish. Not enough to completely ruin the game but still.....(Oh and that stupid rotating camera :negative:)
And of course well done Chronicles of Myrtana. A completely free mod for a 20 year old game that provides some of the best open world RPG experience in years. Enough said.

Also really enjoyed playing Black Book and Loop Hero.
The biggest disappointment is Encased of course. The saddest part is it could potentially be such an incline. Oh well.

Humbaba

Arcane
WOTR is really good and epic but got way way WAY too much woke SJW rubbish.

I don't get this narrative. The only prominent "woke" thing in the game is the lesbian couple (one of which is a biological male, so they're actually straight, weirdly enough), which are from the original module anyway. Plus, you get to directly or indirectly cause the death of both given certain circumstances, if you're that annoyed by them. Homo cleric Sosiel is another point of contention but unless you actively choose to eat his poopoo he might as well be straight. I wouldn't have known that he was gay if I hadn't read it beforehand tbh.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
An isometric New Vegas in Cold post ap Russia
>Isometric New Vegas
2191.jpeg

You just sold me on this shit.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't get this narrative. The only prominent "woke" thing in the game is the lesbian couple (one of which is a biological male, so they're actually straight, weirdly enough), which are from the original module anyway. Plus, you get to directly or indirectly cause the death of both given certain circumstances, if you're that annoyed by them. Homo cleric Sosiel is another point of contention but unless you actively choose to eat his poopoo he might as well be straight. I wouldn't have known that he was gay if I hadn't read it beforehand tbh.

People use "woke" and "pozzed" interchangeably even though I perceive the former as lectures and the latter as the inclusion of more queers and women and black and brown people. Kingmaker already had a good number of these types of people. I guess Wrath added even more breaching the threshold of what more people find acceptable?

CadmusLabs

Arcane
Developer
Ok, I've taken some notes for the future if we live through what is the world right now. Still very proud of the team, though - there is some genuine heavy lifting we approached and at times succeeded (it was so severe that we sometimes farted when lifted it, too, but what can you do). All the flaws are my leadership fails - my brain melted under the pressure (publisher and stuff) in the latter half of 2020 for sure.
But I will keep doing this "aim for 400%, fuck up it all, still do 140%, which is better than 100%", and you will be able to beat any of my games by punching everyone you see in the teeth.

And really proud of Trudograd guys. There are some expected expectations from Owlcat pals to be at the top, but for a smaller team like ATOM - cool stuff - I'm jealous a bit (a bit?).

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
CadmusLabs good on you for recognizing it. From my perspective, it looks like too much was compromised to reach a wider audience. VO, difficulty, more free form use of skills rather than highly telegraphed interactions. If you want to chat, DM.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
> Neo the world ends with you at 35th.

You love to see it. All people that voted on it , are great.

adamantyr

Arcane
Developer
I am surprised by Realms of Antiquity on such a high place, I am somewhat resistant to old clunky shit for reference I lost interest in playing bards tale 1.

The looks of the game don't matter to me but how playable it is does, so, anyone who has played it what can I expect?

I like the fact that there is something I haven't seen at all in the list.

Thank you to everyone who voted for RoA! 5th place is higher than I expected.

If you want to know more about how RoA plays, you can read the reviews on Steam. You can also watch it being played on YouTube, there are three active games going on right now. And you can always join the Discord and ask questions if you like.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1539750/reviews/?browsefilter=toprated&snr=1_5_100010_
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DJhDxZwg2k&t=1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEZwM3atESY&t=1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ognJAuJbgs

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
while Wrath was played by almost exactly the same percentage (53%) but only got 54% positive votes.
Why did you say this, but then in the "top 10" list below it it says it was rated ~77% positive. You seem to be mixing up the numbers a bit. According to your statistics 54% gave it a 4/4. That isn't the same thing as 54% positive though.
Yeah, I mixed the positives and 4/4 when copying the numbers, fixed it now. Kingmaker had 89% positive votes, Wrath got 77%.

Also, Kingmaker got only 2% of 1/4 votes, while Wrath got 12%. That's clearly downvoting from the butthurt squad.

Last edited:

GloomFrost

Arcane
WOTR is really good and epic but got way way WAY too much woke SJW rubbish.

No man. Just no. There is a lot more than that. Its not just gays and lesbians, that stupid fox/anime girl alone made want to stop playing. I cba to go all over this again but there is a whole thread about this if you are interested.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
so have we found any hidden gems among the shovelware :M
Black Book (#12), Wildermyth (#13), and Urtuk (#18) are all worth playing, though only Wildermyth is an actual RPG as opposed to a squad-based tactics game and whatever the hell Black Book is.

yf9pYhG.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom