Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Christian god = Godfrey
:what:

What do you mean? Nothing of what I learned about him makes the two figures similar.

Anyway, I'm on day 3 of being constantly amazed by this game. I'm also starting to enjoy some of the mini-dungeons: the last ones I tried have been more fun and creative than the earlier ones. I just wish the game would stop reusing so much some of the weaker enemies... fighting those giant octopuses, screeching bats, stone imps, and wolves again and again isn't that great.

Last edited:

Shrimp

Arbiter
Speaking of heals, check this out:

Those are the sound fx of Bloodborne's Cleric Beast
Even the animations are somewhat similar

Well... I guess we could say PC players got their Bloodborne port...

:M

:troll:

That entire boss is straight out of Bloodborne. Fighting it without spellcasting makes for an insufferable experience, you should try it if you get the opportunity.

randir14

Augur
So, this game will be fixed on Linux before it gets updated by FromSoft on Windows. This has to be a first, and for a AAA game, no less.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...ux-including-online-features/?sh=365592081aaf
Valve and Linux: Doing What Windows Won’t
Where the Linux gaming story continues to impress, however, is the direct control Valve has over performance and optimizations. If you’re a PC gamer trying to play Elden Ring, you’ve undoubtedly experienced severe framerate drops and stuttering during combat. It’s a deal-breaker for a Souls-like game.

Well, Valve is solving that for Linux gamers.

“The graphics team has been hard at work on optimizing ELDEN RING for Steam Deck,” writes Valve developer Pierre-Loup Griffais on Twitter. “Fixes for heavy stutter during background streaming of assets will be available in a Proton release next week, but are available to test now on the bleeding-edge branch of Experimental.”

(Author’s Note: This is basically the beta branch on Steam for the Proton Experimental tool.)

One Twitter user was understandably puzzled by the tweet, assuming that Linux would inherit the same issues a game experiences on Windows. It is basically running the Windows version of the game, after all, albeit with a compatibility layer in between that translates things Linux can understand.

Pierre-Loup Griffais replied with a breath of fresh air: “It is, but still possible to optimize/mitigate in the various driver layers,” he said.

And this right here is why Valve’s decade-long Linux initiative is so important. Because Proton is open source and has the Vulkan graphics API driving it, Valve and its Linux team can execute rapid-fire fixes like this one.

Already, Elden Ring is running better on Linux than it is on Windows, and the developers had nothing to do with the improvements. While I’m positive From Software will be issuing patches that correct the lousy state of the PC port, Valve is more nimble, and Linux users reap the benefits.

If this actually works I'm going to install Proton and play the game on there.

Wunderbar

Arcane
The open world is indeed a rather underwhelming aspect of this game. It's not as bad as W*tcher 3 or Ubisoft's checklist simulators, but it definitely loses its luster once you saw everything the overworld has to offer and already know what to expect. Mini-dungeons, mines, towers with a simple puzzle, evergaols with some reused bloodborne bossfight, walking mausoleums, churches with estus upgrades - the game really is rather formulaic during the overworld exploration.

And since I'm not really a fan of modern Fromsoft bossfights, the only thing I ended up enjoying about ER are legacy dungeons, which are kinda rare in this game.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
2B6D1F3D47CD759F68363BEAC65A3BA643895757

Funposter

Arcane
Healing incantations don't seem to heal your steed, or maybe it's an imperceptible amount.

:deadhorse:
Urgent Heal doesn't, but Heal does.

Did some testing, and I think it's because Torrent has a lot of HP, and heal spells do less healing (looks like a 3:1 ratio?) on NPCs than the player, so it's very negligible. Not worth the FP at any rate.

Sometimes I wish From was more transparent about how their mechanics work, but there is a huge subset of the community that loves figuring it out.
I don't really know why you'd specifically be wanting to use FP when Rowa berries are all over the world, anyway. From clearly intended for you to have an endless supply of healing items for the horse.

randir14

Augur
I just installed the game on Ubuntu and used Proton Experimental in Steam. The stuttering is way less now, although there's still some. I guess that confirms DX12 is one of the main culprits.

Anyone have any standout weapons so far?
I've been most impressed by the morning star. I don't recall it being particularly good before Elden Ring but man, the strike/bleed combo seems to fucking shred in PvE. It was only at +1(!) when I spanked Margit with it and 20 hours later it's rarely let me down. Only really struggles with some more agile regular enemies but that's what a longsword is for.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I love the big curved sword from those viking dudes I think, running glass cannon naked with it, I can pretty much 2 shots small mobs and stun big dudes, now I'm no longer scared of those knights in Stormveil.

jellyfish = good boi

f0wekxe3bmk81.png

DemonKing

Arcane

He's crowing about it over on his blog, but at least seems to be giving credit where credit is due:

Of course, almost all the credit should go to Hidetaka Miyazaki and his astonishing team of games designers who have been laboring on this game for half a decade or more, determined to create the best videogame ever. I am honored to have met them and worked with them, and to have have played a part, however small, in creating this fantastic world and making ELDEN RING the landmark megahit that it is.

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Anyone have any standout weapons so far?
Not a weapon but the rock sling spell is insane. It can stagger bosses in 3 casts and then I can riposte them. Very stronk. I've been using a banished knight halberd as my weapon and it's really nice too, has good range and thrusts are great for poking down enemies.

Unfortunately boss weapons seem very weak as usual. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Finally got my Uchi goddamn... Was kinda hoping in something more novel but I don't think there's a better DEX wep in Limegrave, scoured it p. thoroughly.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw what's with the "open world is booring" schtick ITT? I've blundered into an elevator in the woods, ended up exploring a Blackreach-like underground area for 3 hours (those fucking snipers mang).

I've resurfaced in a Lovecraftian area full of monstrous beasts a giant archers, blundered into blood marches, tombraided a town of dead sorcerers. All in a 5 hour session after work.

This gaym man.

Funposter

Arcane
Btw what's with the "open world is booring" schtick ITT? I've blundered into an elevator in the woods, ended up exploring a Blackreach-like underground area for 3 hours (those fucking snipers mang).

I've resurfaced in a Lovecraftian area full of monstrous beasts a giant archers, blundered into blood marches, tombraided a town of dead sorcerers. All in a 5 hour session after work.

This gaym man.
I think the problem is that it uses a Piranha Bytes approach to open world, where areas are effectively level-gated. Add to that the mechanical difficulty in defeating bosses (compared to most RPGs, anyway) and the result is that you're running over zones with a fine-toothed comb in order to ensure that you're able to beat a boss blocking progression or to ensure that you're adequately prepared for the next zone.

Siofra River spits you out in Caelid - OK, that's nice, but what can you actually DO there? Several of the regular enemies are as fast as your horse, can two-shot you, and will probably take about 10-20 hits from you in return. There's a sense of wonder present for about 20 minutes when you hit a new area, before realising that you're either underlevelled/under-prepared for it, or realising that you're going to be spending the next 10 hours there combing through all of the mini-dungeons and trying to find upgrade materials.

I'm 35 hours in and enjoying the game still, but it's starting to wear out its welcome. If this were Dark Souls 4, I'd have finished the game 10 hours ago and probably have excitedly started a new character. Instead I'm aware that I'm only about halfway and it's really starting to feel like a slog.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Hahaha Limgrave 30 fucking fps. I alt f4'd and sent a refund ticket in immediately. What a joke.

ELEX 2 here I come baby.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
There's 16 crucible knights, and I believe all of them are in the game. I've found 5 so far
this had better be a sick twisted joke
Well, I found 5 dragons, the game really likes to copy paste major encounters and throw them in all areas just so you can feel that familiar here we go again when you discover a new place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom