Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima .

?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sigard

Not Excidium

Last edited:

Krivol

Magister
It depends...

If you want to experience the whole series starting from 1st one - then no, start with 4 and see how games from 1985 are more creative and more RPG-y than 99% of modern titles.

If you want to check this title - then try it, why not? Downloading and running this game will take you 5 secs.

UI is not that bad, controls are easy to handle (well, dialogs are a bit outdated) and graphic is serviceable. Still the story is... weird IMO.

Eisen

Learned
It's fun, except the space part

Enviado de meu Lenovo A6020a40 usando o Tapatalk

NerevarineKing

Learned
It's kinda charming in a weird way, but it's a totally brain-dead hack n' slash with zero tactical depth. You can blast through it pretty fast at least. Ultima 2 is actually way worse in many ways.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
It's a charming little game, and it's actually very impressive for a 1981 RPG, but it is not a classic the way games like Wizardry or even Telengard are. The game's simplistic, short and very unbalanced, and by today's standards it's not very fun.

I don't think it's a brain-dead hack and slash though. I mean, it's kind of brain-dead, but the game's pretty non-linear and has cool exploration, puzzles and some role-playing systems quite advanced for the time (you can kill NPCs, there are Agility rolls when stealing from shops and you will have to fight guards or try to run away when you get caught, stats like intelligence and wisdom affect more than just spellcasting, and so on). Dungeon crawling can also be kind of tense thanks to its first-person perspective (monsters can pop out from behind doors and attack your back, and they will surround you and fuck you up if you're not careful) and some enemies can eat your food, destroy your armor, steal your money and so on. Nothing to write home about, but the game's more than a simplistic combat simulator like, say, Questron.

BruceVC

Magister
It depends...

If you want to experience the whole series starting from 1st one - then no, start with 4 and see how games from 1985 are more creative and more RPG-y than 99% of modern titles.

If you want to check this title - then try it, why not? Downloading and running this game will take you 5 secs.

UI is not that bad, controls are easy to handle (well, dialogs are a bit outdated) and graphic is serviceable. Still the story is... weird IMO.
I have only played U8 but I intend to play this CRPG series and I have heard the same sentiment expressed by many gamers who have played the entire Ultima series that for newbies its best to start on U4
What version are you considering playing? And you should start with Akalabeth.

How would you summarize the U1 versions if you were describing them, I am interested in the specific differences ?

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Yes, but temper your expectations.

Ultima is a cool 8-bit sandbox. It's a game where you progress just by doing the handful of things you can do in the game. It's very short and that's partly why it's still playable. It's simple, limited in scope, but it doesn't overstay it's welcome.

Falksi

Arcane
It's kinda charming in a weird way, but it's a totally brain-dead hack n' slash with zero tactical depth. You can blast through it pretty fast at least. Ultima 2 is actually way worse in many ways.

I recently tried both too and agree. It feels like they're finding their feet for the foundations of the formula more than anything else.

Atrachasis

Augur
I'd also say, give it a try. The "plot" certainly isn't any worse than most AAA titles published nowadays. The gameplay isn't a pinnacle of game design, but if the classic power fantasy of levelling up, getting better gear and killing increasingly nasty things motivates you, it will keep you going. It's worth it for the zaniness of suddenly seeing spaceships and blaster guns intruding into a stereotypical, Tolkien-influenced high-fantasy setting out of left field.

If you're familiar with the later installments (as I was when I played Ultima I ~20 years ago), there's a certain nostalgia factor coming into play as well, such as visiting the island that was to become Serpent's Isle later, or witnessing the humble beginnings of Lord British as a quest dispenser.

BruceVC

Magister
I'd also say, give it a try. The "plot" certainly isn't any worse than most AAA titles published nowadays. The gameplay isn't a pinnacle of game design, but if the classic power fantasy of levelling up, getting better gear and killing increasingly nasty things motivates you, it will keep you going. It's worth it for the zaniness of suddenly seeing spaceships and blaster guns intruding into a stereotypical, Tolkien-influenced high-fantasy setting out of left field.

If you're familiar with the later installments (as I was when I played Ultima I ~20 years ago), there's a certain nostalgia factor coming into play as well, such as visiting the island that was to become Serpent's Isle later, or witnessing the humble beginnings of Lord British as a quest dispenser.
You make a compelling argument to play U1 when you mention the genesis of things like Serpent Isle. I do want to see the evolution of things in the game world, its just the idea of spaceships in a fantasy setting a little unusual ?

vota DC

Augur
Dialogs are for monocled gentlemen. Ghouls are civilized and even the summoned ghoul instead of screaming "braaains" before attacking you has dialogue like
-A pleasure to meet thee
-Yes, but more pleasure to eat

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
There's a pretty funny LP of U1 on LP Archive. As someone just getting into written LPs, it's all still pretty novel for me. Only other one I've read is an ancient Princess Maker 2 LP, and that was when I was like 13.

It's got this weird Alice in Wonderland LARP which you may or may not like but I thought the prose was pretty good. Here's the link: https://lparchive.org/Ultima-1/

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Ultima III is where people should start. Ultima I & II are interesting from a historical perspective, but not exactly compelling entertainment.

FireKing

Reginus Maximus
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
Yes, if you are a fan of the series you gotta just suck it up, and power fucking througn!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom