Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fanstratics: A HoMM 3 Spiritual Successor

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Yeah, worst. name. EVER for the title of this game. Sounds like a gay showtunes extravaganza on-broadway, like The Fantasticks; though "gay showtunes extravaganza on-broadway" is redundant.

Allwynd

Novice
Which game should I buy? Songs of Conquest 4 or Fanstratics?

Songs of Conquest 4? You do realize that this is the only SoC game so far? And Fanstratics is probably years away from release.

Just so you know, SoC has a unit/army cap so you can't have doomstacks like in HoMM3. If that's an issue for you, keep it in mind. For me it's an issue, because it's like the developers saying "You're going to play our game the way we want you to play and you have no right to play it in a way that's enjoyable to you."

I am a beta tester for Songs of Conquest and that is my main concern with the game - too many limitations and enforcements on the player without allowing them the freedom to do whatever they want. I think the game is not bad, but it's not as close to HoMM3 as it may look on screenshots and videos. I know, because I've played it for over 10 hours. Initially I was really psyched about the game when all there were was scarce screenshots and videos, I was thrilled when I was picked as a beta tester, but my enthusiasm quickly faded away after actually playing it. It's not a bad game, just too different from HoMM3 despite looking very similar at a first glance.

SoC is visually inspired by HoMM2, but the developers are putting their own spin on it and it's different from a HoMM game.

From all the newsletters I've read from Fanstratics, it seems to me like the developer is really aiming to recreate HoMM3 all over again and that is really what I want - the same game, but also different. With new factions, creatures, lore, world, visuals.

I think Fanstratics is the real HoMM3 successor and I will play HoMM3 + HoTA + HD until it arrives.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
Kinda related and informative, especially for those who don't understand how Slavs stole HoMM 3.

Didn't even know Sir Mullich worked on Bloodlines.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Interesting that the music was inspired by East European composers, so there's that aspect as well.

Aemar

Arcane
Most likely that he's siding with the ''fabulously optimistic'' movement.

Blake00

Learned
Funnily enough timeline is a topic that comes up in the latest newsletter 19. Greg reckons Early Access in 2023... hmmmm... righteo.. anyway... there's another 3DO story here where Greg buries Trip and a few other people he clearly didn't think much of lol!
https://www.fanstratics.com/fstnewsletter19

3d1ca7_24a4c5729bf44e3f8dfe7f4eee927f5c~mv2.png

Last edited:

Aemar

Arcane
Greg reckons Early Access in 2023
...IF the crowdfunding campaign is successful. 2023 is an extremely fabulously optimistic release date considering the project is currently pretty much non-existent.

Fuck this boomer gossip shit. Not interested in whatever beef these people had during the previous millennium.

Aemar

Arcane
https://www.fanstratics.com/fstnewsletter20

Does this mean Fanstratics is on hold or canceled? Absolutely not. While development has slowed significantly, we continue to work. Will we crowd fund this year? Highly unlikely, but I’m crossing my fingers for next year.

As for the Adventure Map Mock-up, I have had difficulty finding a qualified replacement for the artists who stepped aside last year. I was talking to a strong candidate, from Russia, but he disappeared when the war in Ukraine broke out.

It wasn’t my intention to build a video game during a worldwide pandemic or potential world war... but this is the strange reality in which we find ourselves.

[...]

Fanstratics Question: What factions are planned in the event of the release of additions (or how they will look approximately)?

Assuming FST is successful, there are at two or three other factions I would like to add. As to the factions themselves, I have a concept for each, but I haven’t done any deep work on them (i.e. rosters, heroes, etc.).
Vaporware.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Just a bunch of 2D art concept without actual engine look or anything

Some indie dev could probably make an actual in game mockup with the time this game had

Latelistener

Arcane
Is there some sort of a progress on this or information about the dev team or a road map? Anything? I'm asking because it's been almost 2 years.

Naraya

Arcane
Kinda related and informative, especially for those who don't understand how Slavs stole HoMM 3.

Didn't even know Sir Mullich worked on Bloodlines.

Woah, Mullich seems like a cool guy.
Also I know I would never have thought "Hm, I bet this guy was a music composer for HoM&M series!" when looking at Romero on a street :D

I LOVE the soundtrack of Heroes of Might & Magic series and one of my favourite themes is Tower Town.

Aemar

Arcane
Romero has been resting on his Heroes/M&M laurels since forever. He should have been one of the busiest composers in the industry.

Casual Hero

Augur
Romero has been resting on his Heroes/M&M laurels since forever. He should have been one of the busiest composers in the industry.
Keep in mind that he has a very professional career outside of his video game composing work. He was a piano prodigy, and has been a performer in professional circles almost his entire life.
We're pretty lucky to have gotten the music that we did, I think.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom