Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Is it just me or From lost their way with their mythos? If DS1 and BB felt cohesive and tight as a virgin pussy, this feels completely disjointed, a pastiche of euro cliches that barely fit - christian sinners/tarnished expelled from a garden of eden/lands between, ruled by a greek-roman family of bickering gods, who praise some germanic/norse world tree/aerdtree, in a world with ethereal cues reminiscing from fae(ry) tales, arthurian roundtables, etc. And somebody above even spoiled the existence of 'outer gods', which I assume means some flavor or Cthulhu. WHAT A MESS.
In completely unrelated news, From Software paid George R.R. Martin to establish the background setting for Elder Souls Elden Ring. :M

Bingo, blame that talentless hack not From Software. They made a huge deal about him doing the worldbuilding so clearly he's off his Game, no longer on his Throne, you could say...

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Is it just me or From lost their way with their mythos? If DS1 and BB felt cohesive and tight as a virgin pussy, this feels completely disjointed, a pastiche of euro cliches that barely fit - christian sinners/tarnished expelled from a garden of eden/lands between, ruled by a greek-roman family of bickering gods, who praise some germanic/norse world tree/aerdtree, in a world with ethereal cues reminiscing from fae(ry) tales, arthurian roundtables, etc. And somebody above even spoiled the existence of 'outer gods', which I assume means some flavor or Cthulhu. WHAT A MESS.
In completely unrelated news, From Software paid George R.R. Martin to establish the background setting for Elder Souls Elden Ring. :M

Bingo, blame that talentless hack not From Software. They made a huge deal about him doing the worldbuilding so clearly he's off his Game, no longer on his Throne, you could say...

This fat lazy fuck is just looking for excuses not to finish ASOIAF, seems to me Elden Ring would be virtually identical if he was not involved.

Hollow = Tarnished. Souls = Runes.

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW CREATIVITY!!!!!!

Jinn

Arcane
He clearly didn't do shit for this game, except maybe name a few things and brainstorm a couple of the Lords or something. He doesn't know shit about it.

It's fucking retarded his name is even on it.

Curratum

I also found Patches, who has graciously (and suspiciously) offered me a chest. Something tells me not to go open it.

You know you want to.

Dew it.

That's cool. I never found him. I just found a cave with bandits, killed them, entered an empty, obvious boss room with a chest it in, opened it and Patches aggroed and started his boss fight, dropping into the arena. I hate his fucking face, so I killed him when he started begging for mercy. You can still access his items and inventory so who cares! That +7 spear helped me a loooot in the early game.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'm particularly looking forward for the Milena of Miquela bitch. She looks pretty badass in that CGI trailer.
She's so badass she's the first optional boss I might just drop and skip. Imagine the dancer from DS3 in terms of long combo but MUCH faster AND that combo gets her to close the gap at long distances after every two hits.
Now imagine everytime she hits you she heals, a ton. You can actually summon ghosts on this fight.. but you absolutely shouldn't because their other name might be "blood bank for the boss".
Imagine only one dodge missed when it's that particular combo going on is a guaranteed death. And then every other attacks she does is actually boring and easy to avoid but when she does this you're fucked.

She also constantly dodges your own attacks and using weapon arts on this thing is just asking for it.
and this is just phase one

Curratum

Imagine the dancer from DS3 in terms of long combo but MUCH faster AND that combo gets her to close the gap at long distances after every two hits.
Now imagine everytime she hits you she heals, a ton.

Am I the only one who sees a massive problem with this? I mean, the bosses in DS3 weren't THAT painful, but you were more or less on the limit of player mobility and defense options VS boss hitbox flailing about, aggression and speed / jumps.

And now this. I've fought several side-bosses that are just different versions of the crack lions from Radahn's front yard / Stormveil entrance. It's not fun. It's shit, it's annoying and I'm cheesing and gank-summoning everything I can to help.

If this continues, the overall experience for me would be severely diminished.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Imagine the dancer from DS3 in terms of long combo but MUCH faster AND that combo gets her to close the gap at long distances after every two hits.
Now imagine everytime she hits you she heals, a ton.

Am I the only one who sees a massive problem with this? I mean, the bosses in DS3 weren't THAT painful, but you were more or less on the limit of player mobility and defense options VS boss hitbox flailing about, aggression and speed / jumps.

And now this. I've fought several side-bosses that are just different versions of the crack lions from Radahn's front yard / Stormveil entrance. It's not fun. It's shit, it's annoying and I'm cheesing and gank-summoning everything I can to help.

If this continues, the overall experience for me would be severely diminished.
At least the creatures you mention can reasonably be weapon art'd into being staggered for a critical and will die rather quickly compared to a boss hp. This boss is just something else altogether, because I haven't given up on anything before, and I'm close to the end of the game, with the entire map unlocked. But too much is just too fucking much.

Fromsoft games are still top of the tree as ARPGs. What other games in the genre right now can have a fight's complexion totally altered by level geometery? As an example:
1st Crucible Knight in the Evergaol? Toughest fight I'd had in the game at the time. Round arena. Perfect for the knight to exploit his superior poise, massive forward movement on thrusts and the almost arena wide AoE on the 2nd tail swipe. Awful, beat him by rollchaining and Stomp abuse with a Zweihander. Revisited Stormveil recently after learning about Gostoc's penchant for nicking my runes. Exploring on my way to kill him I found the Crucible Knight downstairs. Here we go again I thought but not at all. Due to narrow walkways with structures the Knight was totally unable to press the advantage in the same way as before and got owned. Was using a relatively new and unimproved uchigatana too (I skipped Deathtouched Catacombs 1st time round Limgrave).
Great stuff!

MapMan

Arcane
Lost 8000 souls on that fucking cave with those crystal miners and those fucking insects. Thanks Elden Ring.

I lost 15k there because my retard friend on DC suggested I summon some faggot. Which I did. And the faggot immediately died and pulled all the fucking cave on me. Un-fucking-real.

Hassar

Scholar

It’s not just you.

hackncrazy

Savant
He clearly didn't do shit for this game, except maybe name a few things and brainstorm a couple of the Lords or something. He doesn't know shit about it.

It's fucking retarded his name is even on it.

Well, bringing his name might get a couple of million more copies sold, so there's that as well.

Removal

Scholar
that particular combo going on is a guaranteed death
That's definitely been a trend throughout the game, lots of bosses seem to have these killer one hit moves that will obliterate you regardless of how much you pumped VIT
My biggest beef so far is really with the camera especially when fighting larger enemies, it's like From hasn't listened to any feedback on it or tried to do any fixes

Especially when you fight the dragon with the lighting swords and every other attack is an AoE, but good luck seeing it coming with the camera zoomed in on one of his legs

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Wouldn't even surprise me. Dark Souls ended up being one of the more influential games of the previous decade and caused a fair share of soulless spin-offs and copies to be made by other studios attempting to emulate the formula.
Soulslikes are the new popamole.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I always play these games shield and block style. Is this game any better/worse for something like dual wield? I should probably mix it up with weapons for once and try and re invigorate some of that DS fun.

Silva

Arcane
What would be a good alternative for the super agressive infinite kata hitboxes flayling bosses? Honest question.

I feel like Bloodborne reached a great balance of aggression but enough tells and openings for the bosses to be hard but manageable, but then BB combat system was limited to a shieldless melee. Souls formula is wider in it's builds and approaches and would probably make those bosses very easy affairs.

So, what should From do? What is the alternative to what we have now, if we want no-bullshit bosses that are still genuinelly challenging? And please don't say "go back to DS1!". Have you tried playing DS1 now? It's easy as fuck, so that' not a possibility anymore, as everybody got gud at this point.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
What would be a good alternative for the super agressive infinite kata hitboxes flayling bosses? Honest question.

I feel like Bloodborne reached a great balance of aggression but enough tells and openings for the bosses to be hard but manageable, but then BB combat system was limited to a shieldless melee. Souls formula is wider in it's builds and approaches and would probably make those bosses very easy affairs.

So, what should From do? What is the alternative to what we have now, if we want no-bullshit bosses that are still genuinelly challenging? And please don't say "go back to DS1!". Have you tried playing DS1 now? It's easy as fuck, so that' not a possibility anymore, as everybody got gud at this point.

Stop making the exact same game over and over and at least experiment with formula, eg BB and Sekiro. I would be very happy if they never make another DS game again, we have enough now. Especially with the endless clones other companies will continue to pump out.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
So how's the game so far? Easier or harder than previous titles? How's the open world? Is it shit just like any other open world games or does it do something different? Any aliens in the game or space stuff?

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
That's definitely been a trend throughout the game, lots of bosses seem to have these killer one hit moves that will obliterate you regardless of how much you pumped VIT

They definitely cranked it to 11 in this game, but even so, all encounters until this felt "doable" enough for lack of a better term that I'd continue to persist until I get it, while this.. I just don't have a word. Just the amount she heals when she gets a hit on you is frustrating enough as it is. It's all of her mechanics combined that create something that I don't think a lot of people will persist on. Talking about your issue with the camera/giant enemies, while she doesn't become giant in phase 2, she's also extremely unreadable because of phase 2 replacement character model, with way too many graphical effects turned on.

As a personal experience it's my first time in any From game that I just give up, I spent quite some time on this and have no intention of going full autismo because of such excesses in game design.

There might be builds that can handle this crap better out there, like using a greatshield, but I don't care enough for a side boss to go and farm materials for weapon upgrade to make a strength build.

Getting a bit fucked off by standard mooks that have attack timings made to roll catch. Too common, very obnoxious. Has a knock on effect on sword and board too. Those exchanges feel weird and stiff because enemy swings are often delayed to hit outside reactive roll iframes. You end up sitting in front of them waiting for a slow attack to hit your shield. I presume this is also why there's a perceptible delay before blocking actually works now to make stamina management more risky. You'd better keep that shield up too or you'll eat a full stunlocking combo because poise has been fucked since DS3.

It isn't difficult as such. More eye roll inducing because of how mundane memey gank movesets are in ER. They've been overcooking it a bit with the combat post Bloodborne, as good as it still is overall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom