Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance for the DS

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Just picked this up today. I hope it doesn't suck.

Apparently it is Jagged Alliance 1, which I never played, with Jagged Alliance 2 graphics.

Anyone have it? Thoughts, opinions?

How good was Jagged Alliance 1? The second one was awesome.

Ghoulem

Erudite
Everything made before 1995 should be ported to DS.

How is the interface for the DS-version of JA?

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Anthony Davis said:
Ghoulem said:
Everything made before 1995 should be ported to DS.

How is the interface for the DS-version of JA?

Don't know yet, all I have been able to do is read the manual.
How last-gen.

Phelot

Arcane
Anthony Davis said:
Just picked this up today. I hope it doesn't suck.

Apparently it is Jagged Alliance 1, which I never played, with Jagged Alliance 2 graphics.

Anyone have it? Thoughts, opinions?

How good was Jagged Alliance 1? The second one was awesome.

The second one just made the first one better IMHO. I only played a little bit of the original JA, but I mostly played Jagged Alliance Deadly Games which doesn't seem to have a campaign, but rather random missions presented from good ol' Gus Tarballs (best name evar!) I played a shit load of that game back in the day.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Original JA was "the shit" back then. I alternated between X-Com and Jagged Alliance for several months. Oh, sweet memories.

If it's exactly like old JA, then here's my tips:

1) It's always turn-based. This makes exploring sectors slower.
2) Remember to search every pot, bed, chair, wardrobe, bookshelf etc for hidden items, like in JA2
3) Get Ivan. He's cheap since he doesn't speak english but that doesn't matter. The guy is a killing machine. Always give him the best weapons you have.
4) If money ever gets tight, remember that sappers (the guys who work the trees) are most important since they make the money
5) While you can swim over the few bays that there are, your guards and sappers are unable to follow you. So you can use that to your advantage, no need to leave guards on a sector if the only enemy sector is behind a waterway.
6) The sectors which do not have any trees, usually contain goody good items, though not always.
7) I don't remember if crouching was in already or if it only came in JA:DG but it's pretty useless anyway.
8) After the first couple of sectors you will need a merc with decent-high explosives, to disarm bombs and mines. Remember that the general level of the merc matters when spotting mines.
9) Gun-tweaking - There's compound18 to put on spectra vests and helmets, then there's steel tubing which can be put on rifles to make them more powerful - save them for M16's and M14's. Silencers for pistols. Oil+rag=molotov coctails.
10) When Jack warns you that it's an especially hot day, take canteens with you and do drink from them, otherwise you risk mercs passing out as their energy drops
11) Merc with good mechanical skill is essential for repairs. Speck is the best - completely useless on battlefield but cheap and extremely good mechanic, repairing stuff quickly.
12) Remember to use the strategic map to your advantage - in few points the obvious entrance to sector is heavily mined and guarded so you have to run a gauntlet to get through OR you could sneak over a bay and through another sector to arrive in the enemies behind. You can pass through enemy controlled sectors with your mercs.
13) .12 shotguns are pretty much useless. They are extremely slow to fire and have as bad range as the .38 revolver, though they do nice damage.
14) Enemies do use grenades, both frag and mustard versions, so careful there.

What else? Oh, have fun, it's a blast!

Jinxed

Liturgist
The first one was very basic in terms of mechanics. No stance changes and very little weapons. There were however lots of mercs and a pretty big gameworld, you captured territories on an island, trained militia and employed farmers to milk sectors of some kind of valuable plant. I don't think you could even buy weapons, Mickey was in deadly games.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Jinxed said:
The first one was very basic in terms of mechanics. No stance changes and very little weapons. There were however lots of mercs and a pretty big gameworld, you captured territories on an island, trained militia and employed farmers to milk sectors of some kind of valuable plant. I don't think you could even buy weapons, Mickey was in deadly games.

No, all the weapons came either with the mercs or the enemies.

.38, .45, 9mm, .357, .12 shotgun, M-14, M-16

Can't remember if there was some smg's or anything but those atleast were in. Oh and if you can afford it, always fly dead mercs instead of dumping them in the sea - works wonders for the morale. And the mercs bicker amongst themselves like in JA2.

Oh right, if you go swimming in the ocean or the rivers, there's a chance that an snake will attack your merc. If they have a knife, no worries but if not...

From what I can remember, good starting team has Ivan for killing, Fidel for explosives, Speck for mechanical, Fox for medical and the rest whatever. And get the first native guide killed as soon as possible, the second one will have better skills.

obediah

Erudite
If I ever get through Dark Spire, this will probably be my next game. I'm still wandering around lvl 6, plugging away.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Thanks for the good info. From the back of the box:

Combines strategy with incredible role-playing action.
60 mercenaries... 60 different personalities... 60 voices
How each game unfolds depends entirely on you
Discover secret missions to further your campaign

Jinxed

Liturgist
GarfunkeL said:
Oh right, if you go swimming in the ocean or the rivers, there's a chance that an snake will attack your merc. If they have a knife, no worries but if not...
I remember that, was quite funny.
From what I can remember, good starting team has Ivan for killing, Fidel for explosives, Speck for mechanical, Fox for medical and the rest whatever. And get the first native guide killed as soon as possible, the second one will have better skills.

Needle was pretty good too, better marks than fox.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
GarfunkeL said:

Heartless. :)

Solivagant

Novice
Speck is a god damn annoying dude, though. You'll order him to walk a bit, and then he'll get tired and complain. And then he'll walk a bit more, and complain again. You'll make Fidel put an explosive on him and let him explode in no time.

I agree that Fidel and Ivan are absolutely essential characters. Ivan's "creshew creshew" bark is very reminiscent of the peons from Warcraft, and Fidel is great too. The voice acting is awesome, seriously.

Also try getting Mike. He won't accept you at first, you need to have a few successful days, and you need to pay him good, but he's worth it as he is a very proficient merc.

And Lynx is a jawsome sharpshooter, really like his work.

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
Wow, this is good news, well even better when it shows up used on Ebay.

Somebody recently gave me a DS and I've been looking for decent games not of the cutesy Mario/Donkey Kong variety that I played 20+ years ago on the NES. I was seriously underwhelmed when the only game I had was New Super Mario Bros.

I also picked up Panzer Tactics which is an awesome Panzer General 2 clone/rip-off. Addictive shit.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
I just saw some "Elite Force" game on the DS today, looks similar to JA and X-Com style... but more likely filled with horror.

Who knows?

The_scorpion

Liturgist
Anthony Davis said:
Thanks for the good info. From the back of the box:

Combines strategy with incredible role-playing action.
60 mercenaries... 60 different personalities... 60 voices
How each game unfolds depends entirely on you
Discover secret missions to further your campaign

someone really ought to rip alla these voices and put them for download somewhere. Many of these chars are still very popular amongst the fanbase. Faces less so... would need to be remade :?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
One of those days I'll mod 7.62 to have the mercs from JA.

Damn, those were good days. JA has some unique mercs that didn't get carried over to JA2 btw.

I would recommend exploring the available mercs instead of goin straight for the best possible combo. For me biggest part of the charm was actually finding the personalities I liked the most (and getting rid of the assholes I didn't).

The_scorpion

Liturgist
Haba said:

this :!:

however, 7.62 has, if i read it correctly, only half as many mercs as ja, and then there's DG and Ja2 and UB plus Ja2 mods :roll:

So hopefully, 7.62's playable character list (or whatever) can easily be expanded, otherwise you'll have a tough job picking the mercs you'd want to use.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The_scorpion said:
Haba said:

however, 7.62 has, if i read it correctly, only half as many mercs as ja, and then there's DG and Ja2 and UB plus Ja2 mods :roll:

So hopefully, 7.62's playable character list (or whatever) can easily be expanded, otherwise you'll have a tough job picking the mercs you'd want to use.

Yep.

001_Earp White Man Default //Œ ¥«ë©
002_Cobra White Man Default //Œ Š¨â ¥æ
003_Ali BigNigga Man African //Œ ¥£à
004_TNT White Woman Default //† ¥« ï
005_Sonar White Woman Default //† Ÿ¯®­ª
006_Coyote White Man Default //Œ ¥«ë©
007_Slick White Man Default //Œ ¥«ë©
008_Gunnar White Man German //Œ ¥«ë©
009_Toker White Man Default //Œ ’ãப
010_Checkout White Man Default //Œ ¥«ë©
011_Sniper White Man Russian //Œ ¥«ë©
012_Savage White Man Default //Œ ¥«ë©
013_Caesar White Man Default //Œ ¥«ë©
014_Vero White Woman French //† ¥« ï
015_Pepe White Man Default //Œ ¥«ë©
016_Beaver White Man Default //Œ ¥«ë©
017_Hawk White Man Default //Œ ¥«ë©
018_Scalpel White Man French //Œ ¥«ë©
019_Oldman White Man Default //Œ ¥«ë©
020_Skitter Nigga Man African //Œ ¥£à
021_Smarty White Man Default //Œ ¥«ë©
022_Plaster White Woman Default //† ¥« ï
023_Spartan White Man Default //Œ ¥«ë©
024_Warlock White Man French //Œ ¥«ë©
025_F-Aid White Woman German //† ¥« ï
026_Madman White Man Default //Œ ¥«ë©
027_Dessert White Woman Default //† ¥« ï
028_Jigger White Man Default //Œ ¥«ë©
029_Bullseye White Man Default //Œ ¥«ë©
030_Masha White Woman Russian //† ¥« ï
285_Jaguar White Man Default //Œ ¥«ë©
286_Hope White Woman Default //† ¥« ï

214_Sebastian White_Sebastian Man Russian //Œ ¥«ë©

045_Cameron Nigga Man African //Œ ¥£à
046_AlekseyIvanov White Man Russian //Œ ¥«ë©
047_Kurt White Man German //Œ ¥«ë©
048_Lambert White Woman French //† ¥« ï
049_Kim White Woman Default //† Š®à¥ï­ª
050_Babu White Man Default //Œ ¥«ë© ¨­¤ãá, £ë :)

END

Gotta love the russian lack of political correctness ;-)

bgillisp

Scholar
GarfunkeL said:
Original JA was "the shit" back then. I alternated between X-Com and Jagged Alliance for several months. Oh, sweet memories.

If it's exactly like old JA, then here's my tips:

1) It's always turn-based. This makes exploring sectors slower.
2) Remember to search every pot, bed, chair, wardrobe, bookshelf etc for hidden items, like in JA2
3) Get Ivan. He's cheap since he doesn't speak english but that doesn't matter. The guy is a killing machine. Always give him the best weapons you have.
4) If money ever gets tight, remember that sappers (the guys who work the trees) are most important since they make the money
5) While you can swim over the few bays that there are, your guards and sappers are unable to follow you. So you can use that to your advantage, no need to leave guards on a sector if the only enemy sector is behind a waterway.
6) The sectors which do not have any trees, usually contain goody good items, though not always.
7) I don't remember if crouching was in already or if it only came in JA:DG but it's pretty useless anyway.
8) After the first couple of sectors you will need a merc with decent-high explosives, to disarm bombs and mines. Remember that the general level of the merc matters when spotting mines.
9) Gun-tweaking - There's compound18 to put on spectra vests and helmets, then there's steel tubing which can be put on rifles to make them more powerful - save them for M16's and M14's. Silencers for pistols. Oil+rag=molotov coctails.
10) When Jack warns you that it's an especially hot day, take canteens with you and do drink from them, otherwise you risk mercs passing out as their energy drops
11) Merc with good mechanical skill is essential for repairs. Speck is the best - completely useless on battlefield but cheap and extremely good mechanic, repairing stuff quickly.
12) Remember to use the strategic map to your advantage - in few points the obvious entrance to sector is heavily mined and guarded so you have to run a gauntlet to get through OR you could sneak over a bay and through another sector to arrive in the enemies behind. You can pass through enemy controlled sectors with your mercs.
13) .12 shotguns are pretty much useless. They are extremely slow to fire and have as bad range as the .38 revolver, though they do nice damage.
14) Enemies do use grenades, both frag and mustard versions, so careful there.

What else? Oh, have fun, it's a blast!

Exception to #5...the emeies pretty regularly swam across the ocean to attack key sectors if that was their only way in. I recall they attacked sector 28 often (the labortary) across the ocean with elite guards, only way I stopped it was by finally taking sector 18 on the other side of the ocean. So you will still need guards even if they can attack over the ocean.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Damn, I wondered about that but then I thought "nah, it must've been my dreaming, it couldn't be that smart" but guess I wasn't dreaming after all.

While Speck is hugely annoying, you can use him as a mule for the first day and then just keep him in the base, repairing stuff. That way he won't annoy you as much. Besides, he has to live so he can start the M.E.R.C for JA2! :D

The_scorpion

Liturgist
Haba said:
The_scorpion said:
Haba said:

Yep.

001_Earp White Man Default //Œ ¥«ë©

050_Babu White Man Default //Œ ¥«ë© ¨­¤ãá, £ë :)

END

;-)

alright. Next issue: the face graphics. Do you have a plan to recreate good old JA merc faces for 7.62's engine? Probably takes some graphics skill there... though, if i see that correctly, mainly NPC/ RPC faces are large and detailed, the faces shown when the mercs are on your team on the other hand are about as detailed as forum emoticons, so there it might work better. i certainly wish good luck with that :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom