Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Inevitable Excess DLC Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Owlcat Games; Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous; Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Inevitable Excess

It's been a while since we last posted about Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, the recent second place winner of our GOTY award. Over the past several months, Owlcat have continued to update the game while releasing a series of free DLC packs adding various small new features and content. Presumably this was in order to keep the community engaged while they worked on the its first proper expansion, which was announced in January as Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Inevitable Excess. As described in the season pass announcement last year, Inevitable Excess is a high-level adventure set just before the endgame in which the player character is summoned by an entity from the plane of Axis (which is basically Pathfinder's more superheroic take on Mechanus) to investigate a disturbance in the magical space-time continuum. Here's its launch trailer and the full description:

The Inevitable Excess DLC will take players on a new adventure set just before their triumphant victory over the Worldwound. The new story will require all the hero's high-level abilities and mythic powers to battle nigh on invincible opponents.

Players will answer the call of Valmallos, a powerful being from another plane of existence who is determined to stop an impending threat to the universe.

* Play a new story that complements the main campaign storyline and takes+C27 about 7–8 hours. Import your character from the main campaign with all their companions, or create a new one to find out what exactly has troubled the keeper of magic.

* At the beginning of the adventure, your character will have a high level — both standard and mythic. Fight new mythic opponents who threaten the peace of the planes. Use your entire arsenal of mythic abilities!

* Visit Axis — the birthplace and home of the inevitables, the machine aeons, exploring every corner of this plane and finding your way through a dungeon full of dangers.

* Export your achievements to the main campaign! After you complete this DLC, new powers will become available to your character in the main campaign right before the official start of the Fifth Crusade.

New opponents await you, ready to test your righteous wrath. But remember, not everything may be as it seems at first glance. Sometimes friends can betray you, and old enemies lend a helping hand.​

Inevitable Excess is available now on Steam and GOG for $13. Alongside it comes a large new patch, which you can read about here.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Steam reviews are not kind to this one, and not because the DLC is buggy.
58 overall reviews and abundance of comments in this thread also means that nobody really cares, I guess.

FQDleUk.jpg

Humbaba

Arcane
People like me were expecting the DLC to be a continuation of the main campaign, because ifrc that's what the initial pitch originally promised. When it turned out that it's just gonna be some meaningless sidequest that takes place literally one door before the final boss, we lost interests.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
:lol: Mostly Negative because it's just a bunch of puzzles and even more battles instead of actual narrative content. What a blunder. Guess I'll be skipping all the DLC this time around.

dacencora

:lol: Mostly Negative because it's just a bunch of puzzles and even more battles instead of actual narrative content. What a blunder. Guess I'll be skipping all the DLC this time around.
Wouldn’t that be an improvement, based on the quality of the narrative content in the base game?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Wouldn’t that be an improvement, based on the quality of the narrative content in the base game?

They sold it as an additional campaign, so people were expecting a narrative-heavy story. The people who wanted more combat for whatever reason had DLC #3 to look forward to.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

How are people surprised, Kingmaker DLC was terrible as well. The eternal dungeon was devoid of any creativity, it was just a ton of trash fight in samey rooms. Everyone bizarrely remembers Varnhold fondly, but I suspect that's mostly because one of Kingmaker's few underwhelming areas was its dungeons, and even though Varnhold's is very, very basic it's still better than most dungeons in the main game.

TL;DR: Owlcat has never done a good DLC before, why would they start now.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How are people surprised, Kingmaker DLC was terrible as well.
everyone point at this nerd and laugh for not liking dual waifu dlc
Agreed, the tiefling sisters were a great addition. Should have just made another companion. Perhaps a straight white male for the people who complained about the lack of one (Wrath already has plenty of women).

Humbaba

Arcane
Agreed, the tiefling sisters were a great addition. Should have just made another companion. Perhaps a straight white male for the people who complained about the lack of one (Wrath already has plenty of women).

Should've added gunslinger but Mishu-chan allegedly thinks guns are inappropriate for a crusade.

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
Owlpussy is out of gas.
From now on they will produce emotionless content.
I bet they do crunch and then go home cry in pillow because no one has iron balls to complain.

Delterius

Arcane

How are people surprised, Kingmaker DLC was terrible as well. The eternal dungeon was devoid of any creativity, it was just a ton of trash fight in samey rooms. Everyone bizarrely remembers Varnhold fondly, but I suspect that's mostly because one of Kingmaker's few underwhelming areas was its dungeons, and even though Varnhold's is very, very basic it's still better than most dungeons in the main game.

TL;DR: Owlcat has never done a good DLC before, why would they start now.
Well, I couldn't care less about either Varnhold or the infinite dungeon, but the tiefling sisters DLC was good. An addition to the main campaign that doesn't detract from it. But I became lukewarm on the Wrath DLC because it was clear it wouldn't be a post campaign deal, or something small that adds to the main story. It was gonna be a late hour asspull meant to pad the gaming time... and to top it off it was always gonna happen right before the climax of the game. There's no way this was gonna be satisfying.

Terra

Cipher
As others have said, pretty sure the original pitch indicated it'd be a post-campaign DLC, now I'm not gonna get into whether certain endings should/could lead into that, but as a concept it's a hell of a lot more enticing than "random thing that happens 5 minutes before the end of the game". What was originally offered morphed somewhere along the way and as soon as I heard about the first DLC was now occurring just before the end of the game, that lessened my interest in it.

Despite it working out pretty well in Kingmaker, no extra companions are being offered in DLC offerings, so that's another potential draw off the table. This seemed crazy to me, when I first started Kingmaker, I was only a short way into the game before I decided I was enjoying it so much, I needed that Season Pass, especially as it added in the tiefling sisters, bolstering the companion content across the whole of the game. I'd be very surprised if Owlcat's surveys indicated people didn't like that DLC, yet there's no equivalent this time - foolish, given it'd be great added content for a replay in concert with the player exploring a different mythic path.

So what's left on the Season Pass roster - another Varnhold's Lot type affair; eh, can't say I'm particularly interested in that and even less so in the rogue-like DLC, so seems like the whole affair is destined to be a waste of time. Added to this, both Wrath & its Season Pass are pricier than Kingmaker & its SP ever were. The DLCs have gotta be on point for me to throw £25 at it for the SP, this just seems to be a collection of content that nobody was asking for.

At least as far as DLC #1 is concerned (and the planned paid DLCs as a whole), it seems like it started out acknowledging feedback from one of their surveys that people probably wanted something post-story, yet they've just done whatever they felt like after the fact regardless. Oh well, main game was great, but this Season Pass has been fairly unappealing for some time now.

Well, I couldn't care less about either Varnhold or the infinite dungeon, but the tiefling sisters DLC was good. An addition to the main campaign that doesn't detract from it. But I became lukewarm on the Wrath DLC because it was clear it wouldn't be a post campaign deal, or something small that adds to the main story. It was gonna be a late hour asspull meant to pad the gaming time... and to top it off it was always gonna happen right before the climax of the game. There's no way this was gonna be satisfying.
Thank you Delterius anon! Good strong /pfkmg/ friend anon! Game does need cute Areelu real mommy mommy wife DLC romance anon! It does! You are a good strong friend anon!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As others have said, pretty sure the original pitch indicated it'd be a post-campaign DLC

It actually didn't clearly indicate that. People (including myself) just assumed it: https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=11838

DLC #1
New additional campaign. Import your character from the main campaign to the moment of their greatest triumph — their victory over the Worldwound. Answer a plea from a powerful entity and leave Golarion behind to defend the space-time continuum against imminent collapse. Use your unparalleled mythic powers to do battle with truly invincible opponents. This additional campaign offers 7–8 hours of gameplay.

"To the moment".

Humbaba

Arcane
As others have said, pretty sure the original pitch indicated it'd be a post-campaign DLC

It actually didn't clearly indicate that. People (including myself) just assumed it: https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=11838

DLC #1
New additional campaign. Import your character from the main campaign to the moment of their greatest triumph — their victory over the Worldwound. Answer a plea from a powerful entity and leave Golarion behind to defend the space-time continuum against imminent collapse. Use your unparalleled mythic powers to do battle with truly invincible opponents. This additional campaign offers 7–8 hours of gameplay.

"To the moment".

That moment being your "victory over the Worldwound" i.e. after the main campaign. Sounds pretty clear to me tbh.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Import your character from the main campaign" also sounds like it'd involve actual save importing to a new expansion, like in Hordes of the Underdark, Mask of the Betrayer or Shadows of Hong Kong.

"Import your character from the main campaign" also sounds like it'd involve actual save importing to a new expansion, like in Hordes of the Underdark, Mask of the Betrayer or Shadows of Hong Kong.
Thank you Roguey anon! You are a good strong friend anon!

high level content almost always sucks and is boring since there is little emotional satisfaction to getting loot or levels. It is even worse when your DM shits magical junk into every barrel and tree knot the entirety of the campaign.

Joyvankek

Learned
So instead of more story, mechanics or maybe something that would improve on the last chapter, we get side-campaign...
Not sure who's their target audience, but I am yet to see anybody who wanted them to make shit like this.
Shame that we no longer have actual expansions...

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Hmmm
"Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Season Pass Bundle

Description

The Season Pass includes:

DLC 1
The Wildcards

• A new playable race. During the poll to decide which bonus race we were going to add to the game, one particular option was requested a lot (besides the winner - Aasimars): Tieflings, the people with a drop of demonic blood in their veins. They didn't make it into the base game, but became the natural choice for the first piece of post-release content.
  • A new playable class. They master the raw power of the elements, channeling it into their wild talents to manipulate the world around them. Kineticists are living conduits of primal energy, deadly both in close and ranged combat.
  • A new companion. If you combine a race with a class, you get a character. Welcome your new companion, the Tiefling Kineticist who comes, just like every other companion, with her own storyline. She could also be a romance option and may hold one of the positions in the Kingdom.
(post-launch content, a $7.99 value).

DLC 2
Varnhold's Lot

A new bonus campaign. While celebrating your victory at Jamandi Aldori's mansion, you've met another hero of the Stolen Lands: the mercenary captain Maegar Varn. While you're building your barony in the Shrike Hills and Narlmarshes, Varn and his people are establishing their own nation of Varnhold in the rocky foothills of Dunsward. What did they have to go against? Play this new story, and export the consequences of the choices you've made there into the main campaign!

This exciting new side story is about the size of one chapter of our main campaign and will take 6-12 hours to complete, depending on your playstyle.
(post-launch content, a $11.99 value).

DLC 3
Beneath The Stolen Lands

A new game mode. Sometimes you want to play a story with memorable characters, rich lore, and a complicated set of choices and consequences. But then there are days when you just want to grab a sword, cast some spells, and destroy a horde of monsters! This DLC will introduce a rogue-like randomly generated endless dungeon, complete with a new unique boss. You can explore it in a separate game, or as a part of your main campaign. How deep can you go?
(post-launch content, a $9,99 value)."

"Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Season Pass

Description

Get access to the three upcoming DLCs and save on purchasing them individually.

DLC #1 - The Inevitable Excess

DLC #2

New additional campaign. The demon attack on Kenabres changed the lives of many. While the mythic hero and their loyal companions were busy liberating the city, the common folk had to find a way to survive, relying only on their humble skills.
Band together with other survivors and try to reach the Defender's Heart tavern, the last foothold of the crusader forces in the city. Choose who will join your group, and make difficult decisions about allocating scarce resources. Remember — in fire-ravaged Kenabres, every scroll and potion could make the difference not only in an individual fight, but also to your very survival. Act in the group's best interests or focus solely on your own well-being. Import your choices to the main campaign and look forward to seeing this story develop in other DLC. This additional campaign offers 6–7 hours of gameplay.

DLC #3

A new rogue-like mode with partial integration into the main campaign. In Alushinyrra's port, climb aboard a cursed ship that will transport you to a mysterious whirlpool lost amidst the Midnight Isles. Dive in and discover a dungeon whose proportions you can only guess at. Go exploring in search of glory, loot, and battles, and come face to face with a secret that will benefit either Nocticula, the mistress of the archipelago, or her enemies. The dungeon's levels, created using random zone generation, are populated with various enemies, devious traps, and secret rooms. You will return victorious to Alushinyrra — or else the cursed ship will return on its own, laden with trophies from the last expedition, to await new adventure-seekers."

No descriptive name for each DLC ON WOTR? Guess I'll check steam.

Last edited:

Electryon

Savant
People pretending to be surprised that the Wrath of the Righteous DLC map is pretty much the EXACT same as the one for Kingmaker shows just how much cognitive dissonance people are willing to engage in so they can be pissed about something. It was made ABUNDANTLY clear this was going to be another in-game side quest DLC that has to be imported into the main game, and that the second one would be another mega-dungeon. I don't know if I care for this pattern either, but to pretend it was some kind of surprise and hoodwink on the part of Owlcat is the height of disingenuousness.

People pretending to be surprised that the Wrath of the Righteous DLC map is pretty much the EXACT same as the one for Kingmaker shows just how much cognitive dissonance people are willing to engage in so they can be pissed about something. It was made ABUNDANTLY clear this was going to be another in-game side quest DLC that has to be imported into the main game, and that the second one would be another mega-dungeon. I don't know if I care for this pattern either, but to pretend it was some kind of surprise and hoodwink on the part of Owlcat is the height of disingenuousness.
No! Kingmaker did have cute new wifes DLC anon! It is true anon! It is! No!

Joyvankek

Learned
I am not pissed, I don't buy season passes for this very reason. I probably will pick it up on some heavy discount later in the future. To never play it, just like I did in Kingmaker.
What does surprise me is why they aren't adding anything to the proper main campaign, is it to hard for them to implement? Or what's the reason?
When expansions were still common and the inferior shit that came to replace them, DLCs, were still in satan's asshole where they should have stayed, it was common to have main story/campaign being improved on, to give us a better experience.
People still do ask for it, so there is demand for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom