Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Long Live Wizardry! (And The All-New Games By Ex-Wizardry Developers) - UPDATED: MARCH/07/2016

Ysaye

Arbiter
So what jap dungeon crawlers are considered mediocre to bad?
Managed to gather these suspects:
-Ray gigant
-Mind zero

I know experience inc newer games are on the easier side,but are there any other stuff that should be avoided?

I would argue don't play Etrian Odyssey 5 or Extrian Odyssey Nexus; the formula is much better in 1-4.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
So what jap dungeon crawlers are considered mediocre to bad?
Managed to gather these suspects:
-Ray gigant
-Mind zero

I know experience inc newer games are on the easier side,but are there any other stuff that should be avoided?

I would argue don't play Etrian Odyssey 5 or Extrian Odyssey Nexus; the formula is much better in 1-4.

I would advice not to skip any EO game except mystery dungeon + EO1. Nexus+5 are good games

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Cirnozardry had a translation a few months ago.
1639106205926.png

quixotic

Learned
What’s a good game to start with for beginners? I’ve played some of the Etrian Odysseys before but I’m interested in trying something different.

Ysaye

Arbiter
What’s a good game to start with for beginners? I’ve played some of the Etrian Odysseys before but I’m interested in trying something different.

Some ideas:
Wizardry: Labryinth of the Lost Souls: definitely not the best out there, but in terms of teaching original Wizardry kind of standpoints it is pretty traditional with only the original eight classes, spells etc..One difference from the original is that it adds some pretty OP special skills for some of the classes. Presentation style is pretty anime so be aware of that if that is a turn off.
Elminage Original: If you don't care about original classes, this game has a lot of depth without being too hard early on for complete novices (Elminage Gothic is a great game but maybe a little more difficult to begin with).
Operation Abyss: Experience Inc remake of Wizardry Xth, it has a lot of the basics but suffers from all the issues that with the Experience Inc games.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Stranger on sword city

I also would say Wizardry 1. It's a short but very well designed dungeon. The one that started it all and still one of the best.

SNES version has very good graphics and improved interface.

mushaden

Scholar
Anybody know the mechanics/calcs for hiding/staying hidden in the SNES Wizardry 1-3? Probably the same as 5 but I can't find that either.

Puukko

Arcane
anyone tried switch version of demon gaze on emulator?
I couldn't find a copy a few days ago but it seems it's available now. I'll report back shortly.

Edit: it seems to emulate just fine, at least on Yuzu/Vulkan. I noticed one brief graphical effect that may have been bugged but I made it to the first save point no problem. The game is locked at 30 and when unlocked, movement speed, menus, most cutscenes/videos and animations are sped up, but not audio or battles themselves (prompts when attacking etc). The game appears relatively slow at 30 fps, so I reckon a good compromise would be to lock it to 60 which would speed it up while not making it uncontrollable. It ran at 120-170 fps for me when unlocked which was just too fast.

image.png

Last edited:

Casual Hero

Augur
Creeping Coins are one of my favorite enemies from the series. I think they were unique to Wizardry, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom