Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

Lhynn

Arcane
What I find most ridiculous here is how none of these changes are going to only affect PCs. Now there is an illogical dissonance between NPCs and players that will make it even more obvious this is a game.
I mean, it has already happened really. Monsters and PCs are like if they were from two different games in 5e, feels much like a jrpg where players have huge damage numbers and most enemies damage is fairly low, but they have higher hp.
I hate it when theres a separation between what players can do and what npcs can do.

deuxhero

Arcane
That post seems to have missed on terrible change that was just plain throwing any balance out the window: They changed the trance trait, and the changes apply to elves. Elves now gain two tool (or weapon) proficiencies they can change after a long rest. Elves were already one of the strong 5E races, now they can solve any tool skill with prep time?

Larianshill

Arbiter
I've never once played in a game, where tool proficiency was meaningful. Unless it's a thieves tool proficiency, and honestly, barely even then.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
BrokenImage.png

I assume that was the goblin slayer rape scene? :M

deuxhero

Arcane
Another bit of retardation was found in the monster changes: Changelings are now fey. As in they're vulnerable to Detect Good and Evil so their disguise ability is almost useless now. It's also wrong from the standpoint of their home setting's lore.

deuxhero

Arcane
Changeling had plenty of ways to detect them. They just required roleplaying instead of an awesome button. If the changeling is impersonating someone, they don't acquire any of the impersonated's knowledge. If the changeling is being chased, they can't change their clothes or fool divination.

deuxhero

Arcane
If the changeling is impersonating someone, they don't acquire any of the impersonated's knowledge.
I'm not going to argue about it, I'm just going to say that you sound like someone who never DMed for a changeling player.

Wait, your issue is player characters? WTF?! Disguise in a player character's hand is much less effective than for an NPC, not least of all because the ~3 lumbering oafs that aren't changelings. Even in shitty 5E level 1 PCs have access to disguise magic that avoids most limitations of a changeling.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Hey, guys, new Unearthed Arcana just dropped, and introduced the old-school content everyone was begging for!

https://media.wizards.com/2022/dnd/downloads/UA2022HeroesofKrynn.pdf

Spurred by their curiosity and love for trinkets, curios, and keepsakes, a kender’s pouches or pockets will be magically filled with these objects. No one knows where these objects come from, not even the kender. This has led many kender to be mislabeled as thieves when they fish these items out of their pockets
This was written by a kender, right?

Bara

Arcane
So there was some kind of press event for 5e on the 18th with a embargo set for the 22nd.

A lot of people speculating spelljammer or such. The most reasonable I've seen is this is another anthology book of adventures. Perhaps somewhat planer focused but meh.

having too much time on my hands, lately i've been revising the ruleset of my game, 25 years old now (and found out it's worringly similar to cyberpunk 3.0, and i've never even read 1.0), and for this i read some newer, updated famous rulesets, this one included. and i've been shockingly surprised by browsing d&d 5th edition pages. i'm going crazy trying to have *everything* normalized around 100 and 10 while having no upper limit, and then the most succesful rpg ever comes, screams "like i give a fuck", and wins through complete, total, asbolute lack of consistence. everything is made of several throws of several different dices, whose input must be found on several tables and whose output must be checked against other tables, the amount of randomness is insane, and i'm not talking about rolls, i mean how random randomly created rules are randomly glued together. it might have had 50 years to sprawl and cover as many aspects as possible, but holy eff you see key it's a mess.
now i see why they introduced the 1hp mobs and all that other streamlining, they aknowledged they're drowning into a swamp they created themselves and are looking for a way out, by exaggerating going the opposite direction.

Codex Year of the Donut
having too much time on my hands, lately i've been revising the ruleset of my game, 25 years old now (and found out it's worringly similar to cyberpunk 3.0, and i've never even read 1.0), and for this i read some newer, updated famous rulesets, this one included. and i've been shockingly surprised by browsing d&d 5th edition pages. i'm going crazy trying to have *everything* normalized around 100 and 10 while having no upper limit, and then the most succesful rpg ever comes, screams "like i give a fuck", and wins through complete, total, asbolute lack of consistence. everything is made of several throws of several different dices, whose input must be found on several tables and whose output must be checked against other tables, the amount of randomness is insane, and i'm not talking about rolls, i mean how random randomly created rules are randomly glued together. it might have had 50 years to sprawl and cover as many aspects as possible, but holy eff you see key it's a mess.
now i see why they introduced the 1hp mobs and all that other streamlining, they aknowledged they're drowning into a swamp they created themselves and are looking for a way out, by exaggerating going the opposite direction.
5e rules are simple though

first and foremost: having a table of modifiers which is not a straight, simple, intuitive mathematical function but some numbers "because i said so" is retarded. and the whole game is built on modifiers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom