Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin - dark fantasy reimagining of FF1 from Team Ninja

Falksi

Arcane
Oh man this looks SO wank.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i am sure the gameplay wil slap since it's team ninja but hell I cannot get over how awful the art direction is. there's realistic COD western looking dude, there's anime femboy, there's some barbie looking girl, some women that looks like skyrim character body/face mod, etc.

doesn't help sinatra just came in like a chad left and left us all dumbfounded

Hobo Elf

Arcane
None of this is really endearing to me. Feels like a continuation of Squeenix treating FF like a public pisuar. I'd probably find this funny if this was just an oddball title that came out of nowhere in-between good FF releases, but apart from the goofy musical choices and cringe trailer dialogue it just looks like business as usual for modern Final Fantasy. As others have said it's probably a good game because NIOH kicks ass, but I'd much rather have NIOH gameplay + the original vision for FF1 re-imagined in a new era. Now THAT would've actually been shocking and exciting.

Jinn

Arcane
None of this is really endearing to me. Feels like a continuation of Squeenix treating FF like a public pisuar. I'd probably find this funny if this was just an oddball title that came out of nowhere in-between good FF releases, but apart from the goofy musical choices and cringe trailer dialogue it just looks like business as usual for modern Final Fantasy.

I feel that. I think I'm just so desensitized by anything with the Final Fantasy name on it post XII that I never expect anything from the series anymore. I am somewhat hopeful for XVI based on some of info we've gotten so far. But yeah, I don't know why they couldn't have been more faithful to the solemn tone of FF1, and approached with a bit more class. I feel actually playing it and doing so with Japanese dub will make it more tolerable, but at this point I'm just in it for the gameplay all the way.

cruel

Cipher
Played a little bit yesterday. Combat is good - fast, responsive and satisfying, they did a good job. But I'm not sure about everything else to be honest :/ game feels odd for me, not sure if I like mixing Nioh-like combat with FF world. Really missing the dark, lonely atmosphere from Nioh games. Probably will get it on a sale or something.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Baron Dupek

Arcane

Polygon
"I didn’t expect to enjoy smashing the heads of monsters like this. I also didn’t expect to enjoy a story about a hyper-masculine man like Jack. But what I’ve come to learn in my time with Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin is that Jack isn’t a knight in shining armor. He’s better."
:hmmm:

Shrimp

Arbiter
After briefly skimming through the summaries on metacritic it seems most of the reviews agree that the story is an abhorrent mess while the gameplay/combat is fun.
Sounds like the typical recipe for a cult classic. I hope it ends up delivering.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
From the 1/5 review:

On numerous occasions, I was laughing so hard to the point I would have to pause for a minute. One joke sees a character explaining who they are, with Jack jumping up to sucker-punch him screaming “I don’t give a fuck who you are,” and I was overcome with joy.

Honestly, the sanctity of FF as an IP has been raped so hard by Square Enix for over a decade now (with the only outlier being XIV) that this is sort of exactly what I was hoping from the story since it at least comes off as amusing. Just hope the gameplay is overall on par with either Nioh game.

cruel

Cipher
One thing to note about the game - unfortunately, it has 3 difficulty levels: story, normal, hard. So you need to forget about carefully crafted difficulty (like in Nioh) and probably hard equals to just higher monster damage and potential HP bloat (didn't play long enough to verify though).

Basically, the game doesn't look to be directed to the same audience as Souls / Nioh. And yes, story / characters / voice acting are all shit. This is a pure gameplayfag game.

Sent from my KB2005 using Tapatalk

Puukko

Arcane
One thing to note about the game - unfortunately, it has 3 difficulty levels: story, normal, hard. So you need to forget about carefully crafted difficulty (like in Nioh) and probably hard equals to just higher monster damage and potential HP bloat (didn't play long enough to verify though).

To be honest, endless item level scaling isn't that much different.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I've one mission.. Kill Chaos .

Let's Go Kill Chaos Codex.

stranger_of_paradise_ff_origin_1.jpg

Suicidal

Arcane
I'm still in the middle of Elden Ring but I have a strange craving to get this game on release. Am I retarded? Maybe. But I also really want to kill Chaos.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom