Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline What's your favorite cRPGs that aren't in the top 101 list?

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Just going through that Topito list makes me sick.

If you wanted to make a name's dropping list with a bit of everything, RPG or not, shilled garbage along with actual good RPG, you couldn't have done it better.

What a fucking disgrace...

Ysaye

Arbiter
A couple that didn't make that list but that I feel that others would probably agree should probably be in over about 20 others:

• Lands of Lore - I know that this is basically a dungeon master clone (Dungeon Master was a Top 100) with nothing particularly innovative, but for me it was the pinnacle of that kind of real time blobber, and a polished effort (even if the last dungeon was a touch too long). Lands of Lore 2 was not bad either.
  • Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession - The graphics have aged a bit, and there isn't tactical grid based combat like other D&D games but in playing it again recently it really has a lot going for it. I would rather play this than Bioware's Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2 and maybe even Temple of Elemental Evil; one of the better D&D implementations. You could probably also make a case for the sequel as well.
There are others (Wizardry V, Wizardry IV, Magic Candle etc.) that for mine trump some of those in the Top 101, but that I feel I would have a lot less support.

belated

Augur
Agree with Lands of Lore. Was a solid game, for the most part.
Maybe Thunderscape as well (despite the horrendous map viewer), though that's more borderline.

Ambermoon_German_Cover_art.jpg

• Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession - The graphics have aged a bit, and there isn't tactical grid based combat like other D&D games but in playing it again recently it really has a lot going for it. I would rather play this than Bioware's Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2 and maybe even Temple of Elemental Evil; one of the better D&D implementations. You could probably also make a case for the sequel as well.

Gothic/Horror themed RPGs are sadly in rather short supply.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
If you have the top 100 in a text list, so I can ctrl+f check my picks, I'd give you a better answer.
As it is now, I imagine Jade Empire and Banner Saga aren't on that list, and I liked playing them, so those. Paradise Cracked, maybe, though that could be just because its one of the few games translated to Bulgarian when I was young enough for that to matter.

Edit: Checked, none are in the top 10. Paradise Cracked didn't get even a single vote! So they are my hipster picks.

Last edited:

Beans00

Augur
Siege of avalon for the writing
dungeon rats I guess people include it with aod
DX: mankind divided was good, no idea why it isn't on there

Probably more I'm forgetting. I know some people dislike might/magic 8 but it's def better then some of the trash on that list lol.

The list is generally fairly bad, and I'm not just bitching about morrowind for once. Witcher 3 being #15 is ultra retard tier. Lots of other weird games above better games.
Then there's prey. I only played it for a few hours and didn't care for it but if people enjoy it I get it. How exactly is this game an RPG though? If this is on here there's no reason system shock 1 shouldn't be considered.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
DX: mankind divided was good, no idea why it isn't on there
Probably not many people even tried it, after Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The trailers and gameplay footage make it look like its exactly the same mechanically and in its depth, and also it was quickly reveled to have released unfinished, and the true ending DLC to have been cancelled.
Also AUGMENT YOUR PREORDER WALLMART SPECIAL EXCLUSIVE etc

buffalo bill

Arcane
Infra Arcana
ADOM
DoomRL (which, so far as I can tell, is not even on the full list of 221 games voted on! SHAMEFUL CODEX!!)

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Rogue
The Faery Tale Adventure
Chaos Strikes Back
Curse of the Azure Bonds
Champions of Krynn
Death Knights of Krynn
Black Crypt
Perihelion
Demon's Souls
Legend of Grimrock
Legend of Grimrock II

kA3m1cp.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom