Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Character creation screen starts with race selection or worse

S.torch

Arbiter
Explain to me why having a Drow Paladin is a bad thing without using the term "special snowflake" or its derivatives.

Because if everyone is the same, there's no point on having races in the first place. And role-playing will lost its purpose.

dacencora

Explain to me why having a Drow Paladin is a bad thing without using the term "special snowflake" or its derivatives. Because I don't see a problem with that as long as the setting can justify it.

Drow are Evil, Paladins are Lawful Good. Drow are the antithesis of Paladin virtues. They literally live their entire lives in the dark, and their culture is heavily based upon slavery and backstabbing. A Paladin would fight against everything a Drow is. I suppose you could make a semi-intriguing tale of a Drow that’s abandoned their heritage/culture and leads a crusade against their former home, but only a skilled writer could do it in a satisfying way, and there certainly shouldn’t be a choice for regular players to choose Paladin as an option for a Drow character.

thesecret1

Arcane
I just think of what kind of character I want to play flavour wise, then hammer in class, attributes etc. according to it. Never really concerned myself with whether race X has better bonuses or wharever.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
WHY CAN'T I MAKE A MALE AMAZON??????
WHY CAN'T I MAKE AN ORC SCHOLAR?????
WHY CAN'T I MAKE A TALL DWARF?????
WHY CAN'T I MAKE A HIGH ELF BARBARIAN????????????

Because it makes no sense for any of these characters to exist. It's called internal consistency.

vorvek

Augur
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
TBH, you'd have to go all the way back to AD&D to not be able to have a RAW Drow Paladin PC, and it would still depend on the setting. D&D is not Forgotten Realms.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
WHY CAN'T I MAKE A MALE AMAZON??????
WHY CAN'T I MAKE AN ORC SCHOLAR?????
WHY CAN'T I MAKE A HIGH ELF BARBARIAN????????????

Because it makes no sense for any of these characters to exist. It's called internal consistency.
Don't start with male amazons, it's like conjuring the devil these days.
You can make a tall dwarf... if you are called Terry Pratchett.

Because if everyone is the same, there's no point on having races in the first place. And role-playing will lost its purpose.

Slogan, not an argument.

I am unable to escape the DnD mind prison

Make something up then. The genre's called "fantasy" for a reason.
You are slogan.

Of curse you CAN make a setting where evil drows / dark elves or whatever can become something called "paladins". But chances are this will be a bland or nonsensical setting. Or both. You can take from a race or a profession what is unique. Example being only race to be paladins or always evil, or a profession only for very good guys. Result is you make that profession or race more samey to other professions and races. Hence "everyone is the same". Not a slogan. A good author could maybe pull it off and actually end with something interesting but as a game rule it won't.
It's like making all races have green skin and be 6 feet tall. It can be done of curse, and a good writer can do something with it. But what is the point in a computer game?

dacencora

TBH, you'd have to go all the way back to AD&D to not be able to have a RAW Drow Paladin PC, and it would still depend on the setting. D&D is not Forgotten Realms.
Realistically, the only authentic D&D setting where Drow are not necessarily evil is Eberron. But we were taking about what should be possible vs. what shouldn’t be. It shouldn’t be possible to make a Drow Paladin, even if some editions made that possible. It’s just kind of a dumb idea, tbh. They’re (usually) evil elves that (typically) dwell underground. Maybe they could be evil Paladins, but that still seems dumb IMO. Not every race needs to be able to be every class.

Humbaba

Arcane
Lol. Drow != dark elves. Drow are an invention of D&D.

By that logic you probably also think that halflings =/ hobbits.

Still, dark elves called "drow" are not exlusive to DnD. Who gives a shit who invented the name. Please take your autistic literalism back to /v/.

Of curse you CAN make a setting where evil drows / dark elves or whatever can become something called "paladins".
Mhm

A good author could maybe pull it off and actually end with something interesting
Uh-huh

It can be done
So we are in agreement. Everything else is just unfounded pessimism on your part.

But what is the point in a computer game?
Idk, freedom of choice maybe but we at the codex hate freedom, we love restrictions don't we folks.

Norfleet

Drow are Evil, Paladins are Lawful Good. Drow are the antithesis of Paladin virtues. They literally live their entire lives in the dark, and their culture is heavily based upon slavery and backstabbing. A Paladin would fight against everything a Drow is,
In other words, somebody who is considered mentally ill in their society? I mean, let's be honest: Your average adventuring party is a travelling mental asylum/circus. Normal, mentally healthy people don't become murderhobos and then form a group consisting of the strongman, the lion tamer, the dwarf, the fire-thrower, and the acrobat. This is not a group of mentally normal individuals, this is a circus. Given that, I see no reason why any manner of freak cannot join the circus.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
latest

Saduj

Arcane
So if you have to pick race first, does that make you completely forget what character class you're going to pick when the option comes up? I really don't understand the problem as long as racial modifiers are clearly presented. It isn't as if you start thinking "I'm going to make a thief". Then you have to pick a race first so you forget you're making a thief. Just pick the race with modifiers that are best for thieves and then take thief when the option comes up. I don't see how the order matters much.

I do strongly agree with what JarlFrank said about having everything on one screen being ideal - especially when all the derived stats are included. That way you can see how everything else is affected by each decision you've made.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Why not a freeform character sheet where the player can make changes and edits at will?

My last game had linear chargen but I'm switching over to freeform because it's just superior.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom