Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Curratum

It's a static power distribution, just using repeat enemies.

It's almost as dumb and shitty as traditional level scaling, where everything respawns at dynamic levels to match you.

Funposter

Arcane
I have always been against the belief that reviews are paid-for by devs/publishers and all that jazz. I think they're usually just incompetent or blinded by aspects of fanboyism and I don't want to believe that actual money changes hands.

But honestly, how can you ever explain Elden Ring getting so many 10/10 scores? Genuine question, I have been thinking about it for several days.

Did every single reviewer only play 10-15 hours of the game, while everything is still new, fresh and grossly incandescent and you haven't had time to see the uglier flaws, of which there is about half a dozen?
Is this mass psychosis? Why were ALL reviewers so in concert about giving the game perfect scores?
This is what it is. Reviewers very rarely finish large games, since they have 1-2 weeks at most to play it. I no-lifed the game over two weeks and I have plenty of experience with the Souls series, so I can't imagine a game journo doing it in the same amount of time. The classic example of this will always be Rome: Total War 2, where the IGN (iirc) reviewer had only logged about 2 hours of playtime on his Steam account, not even finishing a single campaign before publishing the review. This is why game journos like easy, short games so much. There's no need to delve into the mechanics or understand the game on anything other than a surface level, and it's fair to say that most of these reviewers have, at best, and aesthetic understanding of Elden Ring's mechanics. They rated it a 10/10 because it's Dark Souls (already a 9/10 game) but with a HUGE, OPEN WORLD and therefore it's the crowning achievement of FromSoftware as a developer and the best thing since Breath of the Wild or The Witcher 3. A big part of the Souls games getting high scores is that it also enforced the legitimacy of games reviewers. If they all said they hated the games (which many probably do) then they would be tarnishing their own reputations and revealing themselves as casual retards who like games for babies or whatever (see: God Hand).

Will anyone, even one person, in here agree that this is indeed a 10/10 game and one of the top 3 best games of ALL TIME? It seems surreal to think about it, once you've played the whole thing and seen it for what it is.
The people in this thread who think it's a 10/10 are the ones who have been playing it for less than two hours a day since release and therefore the game still has a sense of mystery and wonder for them. The same probably applies to the journalists who reviewed it. Refer to the IGN review where all captured footage is from Limgrave and the eastern section of Liurnia of the Lakes, which you can shortcut to. It's entirely possible that the reviewer didn't beat Stormveil Caslte. He says that he finished a playthrough and clocked in 87 hours, but he could just be lying. He at least managed to beat Margit.

Sunri

Liturgist
Kill! Rape! Kill! Rape! Kill! Rape! Kill! Rape! Kill! Rape! Kill! Rape! Kill! Rape! Kill! Rape! Kill! Rape! Kill! Rape! Kill! Rape! Kill! Rape! Kill! Rape! Kill! Rape! Kill! Rape!
I've been here long enough.
I will kill again. And defile each corpse with care.
Just to be sure, that when they're reborn.

They'll be cursed, along with their children."
71y0m5y4hck81.jpg

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I wasn't stating this sarcastically or ironically.
Ok? You didn't get assmad until after I replied with the video.
I wasn't stating this sarcastically or ironically. I'm not surprised you chose to lie about a conversation that happened less than a day ago, it is in your nature after all.
From what I've seen 99% of spells suck when compared to the over tuned weapon arts system. Icerind axe, moonveil, sword of night and flames, sword of blasphemy, etc etc.
Can any of those oneshot any boss in the game?

I'm literally quoting you when I posted the video. Nothing of what I said was a lie.
Sadly you are now reaching rusty_shackleford levels of pettiness to keep this conversation going just for a little bit of attention/posting count.
Gotta get those stats up so I can oneshot DU in the lategame. :M

Funposter

Arcane
How do you craft a balanced experience when the expected power level of the player can vary so dramatically? The answer is that you can't.
I bet if from software implemented level scaling most of their fans would say it's a breakthrough in game design.
Elden Ring has level scaled trash mobs. HP and damage of creature types is not internally consistent. It's just not done algorithmically ala Oblivion, but it also affects more enemy types than the level scaling in that game.
hey deem you fucking spastic, refer to my review before rating shit "citation needed". rats with over 1,000 hp is level scaling you dumbfuck.
I don't think the same types of mobs in later areas with more HP qualifies as level scaling though (even though it's an equally shit mechanic) - do the rats in Limgrave get more HP as you level up, for example?
I already said that "it's just not done algorithmically", but this isn't a game like Oblivion where you are always trouncing around Skingrad or the Imperial City regardless of what level you are. Elden Ring is an open world game where you move through large "zones" each with a defined level. If the Rats become stronger without any non-mechanical (i.e lore) justification as you move through the gameworld, then yes, it's level scaling. Rats in Limgrave don't need to level alongside the player because once you're done with Limgrave and Stormveil Castle at approx Level 40, you leave it behind forever.

Edit: Suppose that all the Rats in the Consecrated Snowfield were actually replaced by their Giant Rat friends, and there were corpses of the regular sized Rats frozen in the snow - I would not consider this level scaling, even if the Giant Rats were arbitrarily stronger than the other variants. There's now an in-game justification for how it all works.

Curratum

But honestly, how can you ever explain Elden Ring getting so many 10/10 scores? Genuine question, I have been thinking about it for several days
Reminder that Oblivion was a 10/10 game when it came out and GOTY. The debate about the integrity and competence of game journos has been settled for a long time. They just jumped on the next hype train. Six months from now they'll write about how Equip the Ring needs an easy mode, map too big, boss too hard.
Will anyone, even one person, in here agree that this is indeed a 10/10 game and one of the top 3 best games of ALL TIME?
So far I rate it much better than Oblivion, almost as good as Skyrim, nowhere near Morrowind.
:buildawall:

Oblivion is still my favorite Elder Scrolls game
:negative:

Ok? You didn't get assmad until after I replied with the video.

I'm literally quoting you when I posted the video. Nothing of what I said was a lie.
you commented that the moonveil and other weapons more broken than any mage spell.
I'm still waiting for where this was posted. Or was it just incorrectly inferred like the imaginary anger?

hackncrazy

Savant
The people in this thread who think it's a 10/10 are the ones who have been playing it for less than two hours a day since release and therefore the game still has a sense of mystery and wonder for them. The same probably applies to the journalists who reviewed it. Refer to the IGN review where all captured footage is from Limgrave and the eastern section of Liurnia of the Lakes, which you can shortcut to. It's entirely possible that the reviewer didn't beat Stormveil Caslte. He says that he finished a playthrough and clocked in 87 hours, but he could just be lying. He at least managed to beat Margit.

Completely agree with this, and that's coming from probably one of the biggest From Soft fanboys out there. Because of From Software I bought 2 different consoles (PS3 and PS4) and a new gaming PC because I knew ER would run like shit on PS4.

I loved the game, and for the first 50 or so hours, I'd probably rate it as the best game of all time and the best experience I've had. As things keeps going, it starts losing steam and things that didn't bother me before, like reused enemies and bosses started getting into my nerves.

After I finished Leyndell, I just kept rushing from Grace to Grace hoping the game would end soon. I even found some new catacombs and tunnels and didn't even explore them, just unlocked the grace and saved for later.

In the long run, I still rate the experience as extremely positive. But ER just proved to me that Bloodborne is indeed the greatest game ever made and probably neither From nor any other Dev will be able to overcome the excelence in that game.

Also, I said a few times during the thread that I'm very unexperienced with open world games, and if I got this burned out with a FS Open World, which at least has a great gameplay, I won't even try playing other types of Open Worlds because I know I'll give up quickly.

I'm still waiting for where this was posted. Or was it just incorrectly inferred like the imaginary anger?
You just now quoted it, dude.
From what I've seen 99% of spells suck when compared to the over tuned weapon arts system. Icerind axe, moonveil, sword of night and flames, sword of blasphemy, etc etc.
:deathclaw:
:prosper:

Alright I think the rest of the thread understands what's going on here now too. Sorry to everybody else for shitting up the thread by interacting with Rusty jr in good faith.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Alright I think the rest of the thread understands what's going on here now too. Sorry to everybody else for shitting up the thread by interacting with Rusty jr in good faith.
Lol. You don't even try to weasel out of it. I was sure you were going to pull a "b-but that's not exactly what I said!"

Yeah, we can all see you're permanently butthurt and can't understand English even when you write it. :roll:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

These scumbag journos have been caught before paying people to play the game for them, so they can claim to have finished it.

Honestly, the good reviews of Elden Ring are not hard to understand at all. It's yet another chapter of reviews being posted after only a handful hours playing the game. Steam does it right by posting the numbers of hours clocked alongside all its reviews. It should be standard practice to any reviewer (CODEX REVIEWS INCLUDED) to disclose how many hours they played the game and how far they got. I won't say they have to finish the game, but they should address the reason why they didn't finish it.

Frontloading all good content is becoming standard practice and we have yet to find a proper, funcional, counter for it.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Fucking great. The game crashed, it saved my progress but not the item I looted from a downed enemy.
Try playing offline, man. I haven't had a single crash in 100 hours, but that's all offline.
This. I played offline for three days only linking up in coop once and have had no more crashes. PLAY OFFLINE.
Why would you want to see the messages that are like JUMP OFF CLIFF anyway? I turn it on occasionally to feel like I am part of the group then I turn it back off when they make me die by standing behind me on a cliff while people charge me.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
This. I played offline for three days only linking up in coop once and have had no more crashes. PLAY OFFLINE.
Why would you want to see the messages that are like JUMP OFF CLIFF anyway? I turn it on occasionally to feel like I am part of the group then I turn it back off when they make me die by standing behind me on a cliff while people charge me.
try finger but hole

Bigg Boss

Arcane
try finger but hole
:x

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
try finger but hole
magic
but hole

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Completely agree with this, and that's coming from probably one of the biggest From Soft fanboys out there. Because of From Software I bought 2 different consoles (PS3 and PS4) and a new gaming PC because I knew ER would run like shit on PS4.

I loved the game, and for the first 50 or so hours, I'd probably rate it as the best game of all time and the best experience I've had. As things keeps going, it starts losing steam and things that didn't bother me before, like reused enemies and bosses started getting into my nerves.

After I finished Leyndell, I just kept rushing from Grace to Grace hoping the game would end soon. I even found some new catacombs and tunnels and didn't even explore them, just unlocked the grace and saved for later.

In the long run, I still rate the experience as extremely positive. But ER just proved to me that Bloodborne is indeed the greatest game ever made and probably neither From nor any other Dev will be able to overcome the excelence in that game.

Also, I said a few times during the thread that I'm very unexperienced with open world games, and if I got this burned out with a FS Open World, which at least has a great gameplay, I won't even try playing other types of Open Worlds because I know I'll give up quickly.

Pretty much agree but I simply don't understand the obsession with Bloodborne.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Frontloading all good content is becoming standard practice and we have yet to find a proper, funcional, counter for it.

There's still the prestigious codexian method of hating everything.

Pretty much agree but I simply don't understand the obsession with Bloodborne.

It's Fromsoft doing something slightly different from their normal formula + good atmosphere + a rare occurrence of a game with lovecraftian horror that isn't trash.

Curratum

Even redditors are complaining about the particularly spammy and retarded messages this time around.

I miss the good old days of useful and/or clever messages in the old games. Still remember seeing "Silence required ahead" on the entrance of shrine of Amana.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Even redditors are complaining about the particularly spammy and retarded messages this time around.

I miss the good old days of useful and/or clever messages in the old games. Still remember seeing "Silence required ahead" on the entrance of shrine of Amana.

I'm gonna go ahead and blame the zoomers.

Sunri

Liturgist
Sunri you anime-watching juvenile prick, stop just pressing contrarian buttons on my posts and say something to make a point, or has anime made your brain devolve to Anonymous Wife Scholar levels where all you can do is use three-word phrases?

I can't post at work, so I'm just pressing buttons when I see cuckplaining and malding over things with simple solutions anyway I'm slowly finishing this game only 3 locations left and I'm still not sure what ending take first :|

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom