Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

deem

Savant
So does Fromsoft hate the idea of a boss rush mode? I killed some of the bosses too quickly and don't want to have to re-do entire questlines in NG just to fight them again.

Sekiro had a boss rush mode added in an update. I honestly don't understand the decision making process at From Soft. They come up with improvements for one game only to abandon them in the next one.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
So does Fromsoft hate the idea of a boss rush mode? I killed some of the bosses too quickly and don't want to have to re-do entire questlines in NG just to fight them again.

Sekiro had a boss rush mode added in an update. I honestly don't understand the decision making process at From Soft. They come up with improvements for one game only to abandon them in the next one.

You guys act like they aren't being whipped by slave drivers to make this shit release on time.

Gruncheon

Savant
I made it up the Dectus Lift and I think that's it for me, no desire to keep playing at this point. Radahn was a brief moment of novelty, but I find it crushingly boring otherwise. Spent a while killing Crucible Knight at low level at the start of the game - felt nothing when I won. Same with Mergit, same with the boss in Liurnia.

I decided to go back and play Bloodborne today to see if I was misremembering something - maybe From was always like this? It wasn't, Bloodborne is as good as I remember it. So many design choices (rally, no shields, no roll) that add up to a tight experience. But what's crazy is that bosses in Bloodborne are mostly slower than Elden Ring bosses, while the player character is a lot faster and more powerful. It's insane how badly tailored the player character is in Elden Ring to the game they've designed. IN Bloodborne, bosses end their attack string when it looks like they should. If a boss puts all its weight behind a ground slam, then it's going to be off balance for a few seconds after. If a boss puts all its weight behind an attack in Elden Ring, then maybe it's off balance. Equally, maybe it decides to shoulder check you, start a new 4-hit combo, or deploy a magic floating sword of light from out of its ass. There's no way to know, and you can only learn by repetitive trial and error. Every fight becomes pattern matching to when you activate roll i-frames, and when you press R1. You can git gud, but you're gitting gud in the way that an autistic 14 year old learns to backflip perfectly through a Goron to shave 0.01 seconds off a Ocarina of Time speedrun. It's a skill of no value, and is barely a skill in the sense that you just need to trade large amounts of time to acquire it.

I would say the correct critical consensus on this one will place it above Dark Souls 2, on a par with 3, and below everything else by a big margin. It's not particularly good at anything (even exploration) and it's so stuffed with crap that you can't replay it and blow through it in a day like Dark Souls or Bloodborne. Also the lore is a complete pile of wank. What's a Tarnished? Who the fuck cares. Looking forward to Vaati trying to make a twenty minute video out of the wacky circumstances that lead Leonine Misbegotten reskin and Evergaol Crucible Knight #2 (of 50) to team up to fuck me in the least fun boss fight since Smelter Demon.

Play Stranger of Paradise instead.

hackncrazy

Savant
I made it up the Dectus Lift and I think that's it for me, no desire to keep playing at this point. Radahn was a brief moment of novelty, but I find it crushingly boring otherwise. Spent a while killing Crucible Knight at low level at the start of the game - felt nothing when I won. Same with Mergit, same with the boss in Liurnia.

I decided to go back and play Bloodborne today to see if I was misremembering something - maybe From was always like this? It wasn't, Bloodborne is as good as I remember it. So many design choices (rally, no shields, no roll) that add up to a tight experience. But what's crazy is that bosses in Bloodborne are mostly slower than Elden Ring bosses, while the player character is a lot faster and more powerful. It's insane how badly tailored the player character is in Elden Ring to the game they've designed. IN Bloodborne, bosses end their attack string when it looks like they should. If a boss puts all its weight behind a ground slam, then it's going to be off balance for a few seconds after. If a boss puts all its weight behind an attack in Elden Ring, then maybe it's off balance. Equally, maybe it decides to shoulder check you, start a new 4-hit combo, or deploy a magic floating sword of light from out of its ass. There's no way to know, and you can only learn by repetitive trial and error. Every fight becomes pattern matching to when you activate roll i-frames, and when you press R1. You can git gud, but you're gitting gud in the way that an autistic 14 year old learns to backflip perfectly through a Goron to shave 0.01 seconds off a Ocarina of Time speedrun. It's a skill of no value, and is barely a skill in the sense that you just need to trade large amounts of time to acquire it.

I would say the correct critical consensus on this one will place it above Dark Souls 2, on a par with 3, and below everything else by a big margin. It's not particularly good at anything (even exploration) and it's so stuffed with crap that you can't replay it and blow through it in a day like Dark Souls or Bloodborne. Also the lore is a complete pile of wank. What's a Tarnished? Who the fuck cares. Looking forward to Vaati trying to make a twenty minute video out of the wacky circumstances that lead Leonine Misbegotten reskin and Evergaol Crucible Knight #2 (of 50) to team up to fuck me in the least fun boss fight since Smelter Demon.

I feel like the bosses speed is not that different in BB and ER. The thing is, BB's gameplay is based on dash, which allows you to punish the boss way faster than in ER. In the fight against Maliketh, my strategy was to keep dodging forever and land one blow every 20 seconds. If this was Bloodborne, I could punish a lot more because the movement would allow that.

Now I really want a Bloodborne moveset mod in ER.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Bloodborne moveset mod
You can put quickstep ash of war on any weapon, not the same animation as Bloodborne but it's similar and has a ludicrous amount of iframes. And if quickstep works the same as ds3 it can also cancel a certain amount of recovery frames after an attack.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
You can put quickstep ash of war on any weapon, not the same animation as Bloodborne but it's similar and has a ludicrous amount of iframes. And if quickstep works the same as ds3 it can also cancel a certain amount of recovery frames after an attack.

this art made the radahn fight manageable for me somehow, with low vigor getting hit across the map was an instant KO

Silva

Arcane

Spot on in the comparison between BB and ER fight systems. It seems the series dropped it's (somewhat) realistic, slow paced physics heavy roots for anime-like flashy combo nonsense with each new iteration, and now they hit the apex with ER.

It's sad really, but the more I think about it the more I see Miyazaki really wants to make his own version of Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden. Expecting him to somehow go back to Souls roots and refine/improve from there is crazy. This bird already flew (or whatever the saying is).

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
That ship sank already?

I'd like Blood borne on PC, that game has style. ER is kinda meh, and DS3 is basically "we wanna sell game to fans of DS and DS2".

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
I'd probably rate it as the best game of all time

Holy flippin’ Christmas. You sure do love your From Software games. Better than UnderRail, Fallout 1 & 2? Baldur’s Gate? Final Fantasy Tactics? Jagged Alliance 2? Better than Link to the Past? Prey? Chrono Trigger? Resident Evil 4? Final Fantasy 6?

I’d say it’s certainly a good game but it wouldn’t make it in my top 10/top 20 of all time,

hackncrazy

Savant
I'd probably rate it as the best game of all time

Holy flippin’ Christmas. You sure do love your From Software games. Better than UnderRail, Fallout 1 & 2? Baldur’s Gate? Final Fantasy Tactics? Jagged Alliance 2? Better than Link to the Past? Prey? Chrono Trigger? Resident Evil 4? Final Fantasy 6?

I’d say it’s certainly a good game but it wouldn’t make it in my top 10/top 20 of all time,

The initial 40 or 50 hours gave me a feeling of awe and discovery and amazement that none of the mentioned games had. But this feeling started to disappear as the things that caused it repeated themselves over and over.

Bigg Boss

Arcane

Elden Ring created the only thing I have ever felt bad about killing in a game. Can you imagine chopping that tortoise neck off for stamina? It gets easier over time. I like murdering them in front of my wife while she squeals.

Silentstorm

Learned
Can i just say something weird, at first i thought optional dungeons were too slow and samey, and while the samey aspect is still there, i think i am enjoying them more than Legacy Dungeons that at this point just feel like they drag on, doesn't help that by the 3rd Legacy Dungeon they put optional bosses as obstacles and elemental knights are annoying with their shield and aside from attacking them before they can call thunder, every single way of dealing with them safely is so goddamn boring i want to avoid them but the game certainly puts them.

It's like they forgot to make enemies hard but fun to fight, and there is so much to explore in Legacy Dungeons i really get tired of them before the end and just avoid stuff, i wish Miyazaki had split the Legacy Dungeons into smaller ones that don't have mini-bosses and boss fights all in one, i guess you could say they are areas of their own...but going on the overworld is much faster and fun since you have a horse and things seem to change a bit more than in the big dungeons.

And yep, fatigue is setting in.

vmar

Savant
I'm guessing Godskin Duo is supposed to be this game's O&S? What a dumb fight.

Wunderbar

Arcane

almost gave you a brofist, but then...
I would say the correct critical consensus on this one will place it above Dark Souls 2, on a par with 3, and below everything else by a big margin.
Dark Souls 2 is one of the best games in series
:rpgcodex:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't want to read anything in this thread because I don't want to spoil myself, but I was on the fence about buying it because of rumoured performance issues and multiplayer bugs.

And so, I ask: would you recommend that I buy this?

Use only ratings, I will not read any posts. Use Yes or No, preferably, but... I mean, if you have to get creative...

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
and the best thing since Breath of the Wild or The Witcher 3
For the record, these are nothing alike.

The people in this thread who think it's a 10/10 are the ones who have been playing it for less than two hours a day since release and therefore the game still has a sense of mystery and wonder for them.
Speak for yourself, played 130 hours, the "magic" faded after about 60 hours, the "fun" is still going strong.

If the Rats become stronger without any non-mechanical (i.e lore) justification as you move through the gameworld, then yes, it's level scaling.
Those are magic rats, they drop runes and shit.

This is such a piss-poor game on so many levels judged by FromSoftware standards, everyone who still praises this is a fucking retard.
lol idiot

Last edited:

Olinser

Savant
OK, I started playing it after a few days of picking it up.

What fucking monkey decided to let idiots drop messages all over interactable points and not give you any fucking way to turn them off other than exiting the game and restarting in offline mode. Like seriously, how fucking stupid are the developers?

Well, just killed the knight with the golden halberd that appears early on, and the first real plot boss (Margrit?). And now I just found out that you can bait Trolls into hitting each other on a nice spot with 5 of them.
That encounter is about 5000 runes with minimal effort.
:shredder:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Bros, is it possible to get rid of the horizontal black bars at the top and bottom of the screen? Dark Souls series are one of the only games where I bother to plug the computer into the TV, let me enjoy my full screen goddamnit! :argh:

Also, I obviously managed to die like a fool juuuuust before finding this game's waifu losing 3000 souls runes in the process. Typical :lol:
People don't care anymore about TVs and monitors with small aspect ratios. Unironically very very sad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom