Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Silva

Arcane
Small detail bothering me: the loading screens now show popamole gameplay tips. I prefer in previous games where it showed lore descriptions.

And a great thing the game does that I didn't see mentioned: it's open world is super easy and intuitive to navigate because it's full of unique geography. Credit where it's due.

On then ps5 there are no loadscreen tips because loadtimes are never more than 5-7 seconds. This is great but not a worthy tradeoff for shitty fps.

And yeah, the geography is pretty great. My most memorable moments with the game were just exploring out-of-the-way places and finding cool stuff - happens a lot. Unlike most people here I don't mind the open world too much. It trivializes the combat gameplay, sure, but there's more to the game than that.

Edit: found another Raya Lucaria dog as a normal enemy in the snow are after the secret lift. Did anyone count how many times this fucking thing appears as a regular enemy after you defeat it as a boss? It might be the most egregious example of recycling I've seen in the game, and that's saying something (excluding tree spirits of course)

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
Not only is the PC port absolute bottom of the barrel trash, the anti-cheat preventing modders from doing their thing and keeping it that way isn't doing a good job.
I'm glad this guy is such a dickhead, it appears that the only way From Software does anything about any of their shoddy work is when it gets headlines and this is definitely going to get headlines.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
On then ps5 there are no loadscreen tips because loadtimes are never more than 5-7 seconds
This is strange. I have about 5-7 sec loadtimes on my PC. And I have installed the game on a standard hdd, because I don't care too much about these aspects. Maybe it is because I am playing offline?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Not only is the PC port absolute bottom of the barrel trash, the anti-cheat preventing modders from doing their thing and keeping it that way isn't doing a good job.
I'm glad this guy is such a dickhead, it appears that the only way From Software does anything about any of their shoddy work is when it gets headlines and this is definitely going to get headlines.

The anticheat also reduces framerates and at times bans people for no reason. It's a lazy solution. I think they could have coded some better checks into the system to keep people from simply using an cheat engine.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The anticheat also reduces framerates and at times bans people for no reason. It's a lazy solution. I think they could have coded some better checks into the system to keep people from simply using an cheat engine.
Does it even work? Anybody encountered cheatorz yet?

Last edited:

Tyrr

Liturgist
If you want to mod, disable anti cheat and play offline.
I don't want cheaters modders playing mp. They already ruined mp on PC in the older Dark Souls titles.

Cromwell

Arcane
The main annoying thing is a lack of an ability to save just before each boss encounter. I'd be fine with all the bosses if I didn't have to reset fifteen minutes of playtime every time I died.

There was not one boss where I didnt respawn right before the foggate or very near. You dont even need to find shortcuts like in the other games where you occassionally would be fucked if you didnt explore properly. Theres "always" (havent seen everything) a statue of marika near.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Why people want to play a dark souls game online, anyway? It breaks completely the atmosphere of the game.
Yeah, I never do my first playthrough of a FS game online, especially since FS still refuses to allow us to switch off those stupid messages.

Following runs are fun with some co-op tho. Fuck if I'm ever gonna bother with bosses like Radahn solo. And I like helping others too. Is fun.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm struggling against Vigilant Gargoyle more than Radahn, Fallingstar Beast and Godskin Apostle

the poison tanks my fps harder than my dad beating me :despair:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm struggling against Vigilant Gargoyle more than Radahn, Fallingstar Beast and Godskin Apostle

I actually loved the fights against the Gargoyle and Fallingstar Beast. Needed about 10 attempts at each but unlike Radahn they ARE about learning patterns and getting gut. Plus they have at least some windows. Radahn just seamlessly chains one combo into the next.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Bleh, i just found the little rat guy. Somehow i missed him on my other toon. Not sure what the point of tailoring is though.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bleh, i just found the little rat guy. Somehow i missed him on my other toon. Not sure what the point of tailoring is though.

Certain armours can be altered to remove capes etc. It usually lightens the armour at the expense of protection.

Latro

Arcane
people have been speculating on the GRRM influence and imo he clearly got to design the general plot and a few characters:

things that felt GRRM:

- mohg and miquella. only instance of faggotry in ER and it's a sort of perverted possessive way, kind of based for GRRM.

- dung eater, general backstory, but he kind of feels like a patches-esque FROM character too

- diallos

- general political backdrop theme of the entire narrative (two fingers and the greater will basically vs all the other outer gods and even the demi-gods sick of their shit; ranni, etc)

- rahdan is basically the mountain, but if he was the only decent guy.

- godrick kinda talks like a lord from ASIOAF.

- varre reminds me a bit of varys, also connected to mohg and miquella and is the first npc you meet.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
people have been speculating on the GRRM influence and imo he clearly got to design the general plot and a few characters:

things that felt GRRM:

- mohg and miquella. only instance of faggotry in ER and it's a sort of perverted possessive way, kind of based for GRRM.

- dung eater, general backstory, but he kind of feels like a patches-esque FROM character too

- diallos

- general political backdrop theme of the entire narrative (two fingers and the greater will basically vs all the other outer gods and even the demi-gods sick of their shit; ranni, etc)

- varre reminds me a bit of varys, also connected to mohg and miquella and is the first npc you meet.
Miquella was all the friends we made along the way!

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm watching EpicNameBro fighting with Radahn live on twitch. He is struggling hard. Can't even start the fight most of the attempts

What the fuck is that boss?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
The way to play ER without burning out is looking up dungeons and their rewards ahead of time and just doing the least amount of effort for the highest reward. Which is the exact opposite of good exploration.

All those catacombs, for instance, are places I decided to avoid due to the overabundance of instadeath BS. "Haha, u triggered my trap that couldnt be countered except by knowing it ahead of time " *twists his own man tits*

Yep, Elden Ring sometimes feels like a tabletop session with a deranged neckbeard DM.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Finally had a little more time to play on Thursday and Friday. Made a long quest to get the Trolls Golden Sword... had to beat the Magma Drake to get to Altus Plateau... only to decide that I like the Greatsword more after all. The vertical slams seem slower then I remembered and the reach also seems a little shorter.

On the upside, I collected the Hoarfrost Stomp Art on the way and thats pretty OP. Not only is it spammable with low FP cost and serious aoe, but also it rapidly builds Frostbite, which is a very strong instant damage effect.
Even without the Weapon Art, having the sword enchanted with Magic and Frostbite build up is still much stronger then normal damage types.
Having split damage is totally worth it this time.
Applying that felt much stronger then upgrading the weapon with Smithing Stones. Now the Greatsword is at +13.

I also found Sacred somewhere, and that is pretty nice too. Totally trivialized the Raya Lucaria tunnels, glintstone miners and Chrysalis boss. Great for undead also, of course.

Explored a bit, defeated some bosses. Though much of Caelid is maybe a bit to much of a challenge at level 40.

Last edited:

Shrimp

Arbiter

things that felt GRRM:

- diallos

I read some people say that a lot of the internal names for NPCs and lore related characters have the same name(s) as their in-game counterparts, something that apparently is unusual for FromSoftware games since they (according to the same source) frequently use different internal names.
This suggests that a lot of the named characters were made very early on during development which would fit the common theory that GRRM's role mostly was to create the worlds and its characters.

Users have also noticed that a lot of the major characters all use his initials, for example:
G - Godfrey, Godrick, Godwyn
R - Radagon, Radahn, Rykard
R - Rennala, Ranni, Rya
M - Marika, Maliketh, Malenia, Miquella, Mhog

Coincidence or not? You decide :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom