Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Any tips for the spastic spider grafted things? I won it in Stormveil by dual dagger bleeding the shit to death but I got lucky. The one in Liurnia is kicking my ass.
The ones with swords? Or the one at Laskyar ruins?

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
I thought they had identical movesets? But yeah, the Laskyar one.
Nah they're totally diff enemies, the Laskyar one isn't even grafted he's just a cursed fellow. Also he's probably the most spastic enemy in the game, harder than most bosses.

Vs spastic enemies the best thing is to keep a distance until they exhaust a combo and then hit them, don't bother with trying to iframe through attacks. Use a greatshield if you have one but a medium shield will get you killed. Unfortunately the enemy you're fighting is total bullshit, thankfully he only shows up a few times and most enemies are slower. Good luck.

Curratum

So, 95% of the playable space in the game is something you'd never touch again, yet it's a 10/10?

:greatjob:

Yup, like everybody else, I'm fatigued. To be fair, this is the same I would say of any open world game I like (GTA, BOTW, Red Dead, etc).

The simple fact is that a lot of open world games have filler. Why would I choose to experience filler again? The game is still excellent even with the inclusion of filler, because it serves a purpose in spacing out hand designed content.

I'd argue that in GTA and RDR, I'm enjoying the open world faffing about on its own merits, while in ER from one point on, I'm rushing through it to get to the next designed / quest location.

In RDR you're doing it for flavor and chilling and because it looks amazing. In ER, you're doing it to get stronger and to grab useful items, but from one point on you don't get that so there's literally no point.

Infinitum

Scholar
Finished it, 70 hours. Said fuck it and trivialized Malenia and the end bosses with the Mimic and a bleed greatsword; wasn't in the mood of learning every dodge window or suffer 60%+ damage per attack every fight in a 40 vitality heavy armour build. Game felt on par with DS3; the open world didn't really do it any favours. Still the same mix of amazing and incomprehensibly shit gameplay design. Biggest improvement seems to be the stakes of Marikas; Fromsoft at long last seem to have learned that spending more time running back to the punishingly difficult boss than actually fighting it is a bad thing. Not that they always use them, but still.

Last edited:

deem

Savant
I'd argue that in GTA and RDR, I'm enjoying the open world faffing about on its own merits, while in ER from one point on, I'm rushing through it to get to the next designed / quest location.

In RDR you're doing it for flavor and chilling and because it looks amazing. In ER, you're doing it to get stronger and to grab useful items, but from one point on you don't get that so there's literally no point.

I'm not that far into the game but so far I've been exploring to explore. I'm not too concerned with items, I've looked at the wiki maybe twice.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron

Litteral exact opposite for me.
Except I haven't played RDR/GTA because I generally hate "open world" games lol.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

I'm not that far into the game but so far I've been exploring to explore. I'm not too concerned with items, I've looked at the wiki maybe twice.

Same. Elden Ring has offered the best open world exploration that I've seen in years, probably ever in a JRPG, and the joy of finding new things doesn't fade in end game. Even the extra mines/catacombs are neat the first time around because they are still hand designed with memorable moments, even if the rewards are situational at best.

Nathir

Liturgist
Hmm... After exploring all (probably still missed a lot though) of Caelid/Altus/Mt.Gelmir I went to Volcano manor. Volcano manor is a cool zone and Rykard is the best fight so far. Intense but not too intense. Amazing visuals and the best voice acting. Went onwards to Leyndell and I am breezing through it. There is a lot to explore but I think I might be a bit overleveled. I beat Mohg and Godwyn second try, no summons. Though they are probably on the easier side, their attacks seemed less spastic than some other bosses. Morgot was harder, but also took me less than 10 tries. Found the dung eater at the bottom of the sewers. I usually don't kill NPCs but I had to kill this guy. Creepy fucker.

Now all of a sudden I have to go to the land of the giants. Guess I'll go, even though I still have no idea what exactly is going on. Morgot is Margit right? Or are they supposed to be two different guys?

Curratum

To me, the net result of playing through all of Elden Ring is that I have a newfound appreciation for Sekiro and now want to play it again, because, after all, it wasn't all that bad. :D

Latro

Arcane
That's one thing I miss in ER from the DS games. A dedicated co-op covenant.
Out for thematic reasons

the fingers throwing you everywhere don’t actually care if you invade or mess with people, you’re a tool being used just to kill lords. Grace won’t abandon you no matter who you side with

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
To me, the net result of playing through all of Elden Ring is that I have a newfound appreciation for Sekiro and now want to play it again, because, after all, it wasn't all that bad. :D

Sekrio's swordfights were amazing. For me the best boss fights of any recent From game.

Elden Ring's bosses were pretty disappointing, especially since I ran into many of them overleveled.

Silva

Arcane

Same. Elden Ring has offered the best open world exploration that I've seen in years, probably ever in a JRPG, and the joy of finding new things doesn't fade in end game. Even the extra mines/catacombs are neat the first time around because they are still hand designed with memorable moments, even if the rewards are situational at best.
Best open world is called STALKER.

And your dick shoud writtle and fall from radiation sickness for suggesting otherwise.

Curratum

Sekrio's swordfights were amazing. For me the best boss fights of any recent From game.

Elden Ring's bosses were pretty disappointing, especially since I ran into many of them overleveled.

This boils down to what I said was the biggest issue with ER for me - lack of baseline difficulty.

In DS and Sekiro, you can't really overlevel or upgrade and item-bloat to the point where the fight is fundamentally different. In ER, you can face Boss X at power levels that are disgustingly different and there is no longer a "default" or "intended" difficulty for any of the bosses.

Adding to this the fact that a TON of the bosses are cheap dumb gank / spam shit, you're actively encouraged to use every cheap and cheesy trick you have at your disposal, leaving you with a bitter taste and no sense of accomplishment when you finish the game.

Curratum

do I just need to Git Gud again or these bosses are on another level?
Just had a quick scan at a list of the 15 hardest bosses of Elden Ring. Margit the Fell Omen isn't even on there.

Well. Damn. This is gonna be hard, men.
:negative::negative::negative:

Margrit is actually very fair and predictable, as far as Elden Ring bosses go.

Margit and later Morgott and maybe one or two of the fifty-something bosses I fought in the game felt like "cool" fights where I got good and it meant something when you kill the boss. Everything else was overtweaked, dodgy tryhard bullshit that I just summoned a +10 mimic for and stomped it (or, more hilariously, barely scraped by even with a +10 mimic).

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
They should revert equip load to strength like it was in the network test instead of endurance. That would improve the game a lot.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Minor gripe, but trying to do a blind playthrough is much harder than in a more linear game. Most of the quests are vague as hell and finding the last few demigods will probably require a google.

Granted, it's optional stuff. I almost feel like entire areas (like Malenia's) is basically DLC content.

Curratum

Minor gripe, but trying to do a blind playthrough is much harder than in a more linear game. Most of the quests are vague as hell and finding the last few demigods will probably require a google.

Granted, it's optional stuff. I almost feel like entire areas (like Malenia's) is basically DLC content.

I have no compunctions about using as many quest guides and walkthroughs as I need. I want all those cool armors I see this time round, I'm not spending another 100 hours with the game to get them.

And again, repeating myself here, but I'll repeat this as often as I have to.

Sorceress Sellen's questline involves finding multiple illusory walls, one of which is a completely regular, unmarked cliff face in the open world. This is just so stupid, my mind boggles.

Brickfrog

Learned

This game honestly doesn't need dlc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom