Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

Mitleser2020

Scholar
The only consistently sucky ones are light cavalry who have nothing to do except chase down fleeing units which don't exist when you fight chaos factions that evaporate instead of rout.

Light cavalry does seem to be quite useful in siege battles as it allows the player to regain supply points and make the towers more effective.

LegendofTotalWar who dislikes cavalry has won some siege battles mostly thanks to them and towers.

zapotec

Liturgist
Why there are two mountains ranges on the siege map while on the campaign map there are no signs of mountains :decline:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Why there are two mountains ranges on the siege map while on the campaign map there are no signs of mountains :decline:

Why is there no water on coastal settlements either?
(Because CA is dum dums)

e: On the positive side, modding the campaign is much easier than I thought. If anyone cares I can upload a custom data.pack that has better victory conditions and such. Maybe.

e2: I understand why there have been no quick and dirty mods so far - The RP Manager take ages to switch between simple lua files

e3: SUCCESS!
upload_2022-3-7_22-59-6.png

Last edited:

Nahel

Arcane
The problem is that you are comparing fresh factions with factions that have received DLCs and patches for what, 5 years now?

I find most of the WH3 factions way more interesting than any of the WH2 ones. Especially when it comes to uniqueness in both campaign and battles.
You are correct about them being barebones, though. Just like the other factions were on release (and some still are... *cough Vampires cough*).
There are very obvious holes in most rosters just asking to be filled.
And some factions - while being fun to play - are extra bare bones. Like Ogres. 70% of available units is essentially the exact same thing with minor iterative upgrades.

And there are also a plethora of bugs that should not exist anymore after having essentially released the same game in the same engine three times.
Even worse, breaking stuff that worked "fine" for the last two games in the third iteration is somewhat mind boggling.

I love the game, and I'm sure I'll do so even more once Immortal Empires is out and especially once modding happens, but objectively it's a 6-7/10 game right now and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone other than people like myself in its current state.

Or you know they could improve from what they did and get better. But that is in the past. Now sequels only have half the content of their predecessors.

Honestly for me it looks more like a DLC than a new game, with 4 basic factions. But since they will be miking it with dlc, bought by fanboys, they dont need to change anything. Still garbage AI compensated with cheats, still lack of proper consequences on campaigns.

In the old times, the differences between sequel was something like warcraft 2 and warcraft 3 and age of empires 1 and 2. Now we get news maps lol

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Interesting/juicy rant from Legend -
Since I'm not livestreaming for a while I'm not going to be able to publicly give thoughts through that medium. I'll put up one last community post and hopefully clear some things up. I only feel the need to do this because of the absolute rubbish being said about me in r/ totalwar. This post should hopefully explain in detail why my mood completely derailed lately. r/ totalwar needs to pull its head in and stop attacking people that disagree with them. We're all in this together even if we disagree on some things. If you're not interested in listening to someone elses point of view don't straw man their arguments just to make yourself feel better. You have the option to stay out of it. You only make yourself look stupid when you take something someone said out of context or exaggerate it to the point where it doesn't resemble what they were talking about in the first place. If someone has a problem with a game that you enjoy do not take that as a personal attack, because it isn't and you look like a baby when you lash out. A year ago I told CA that I would be completely at their disposal for Warhammer 3. Whether that meant to test features, provide feedback, cameo a voice line, whatever. In the lead up to launch I, and all other creators, were drip fed boring meetings, blogs and other unimportant information that was most of the time 1-2 days before it was public knowledge. There was not a single opportunity to actually get involved in the development of Warhammer 3 nor were we even informed about what the campaign was going to be about. I got early access for Warhammer 3 on Jan 7, but wasn't able to play it until Jan 11. As soon as I was able I jumped in and starting playing it all day every day. However I immediately found issues with the campaign and brought it to CA's attention.

The Realm of Chaos campaign right from the get go was just horrible. Right from my very first campaign. It didn't matter which faction or what difficulty. I kept giving it more chances, and grew to hate it more and more. I discovered, however, that my enjoyment improved if I simply ignored it and went about the domination style campaign and just closed all the rifts with heroes. After about 10 days of early access we were able to start livestreaming the game. At this time I had started half a dozen campaigns but had finished none of them. I was still heavily conflicted about the main campaign mechanic and resolved to simply not showcase it at all because I knew I'd have a huge rant about it and that was NOT ALLOWED at this stage. There were very strict guidelines in place and people that broke them were kicked out of the creator program. After some more time of early access livestreaming where I was just dodging the realm of chaos mechanic I was finally able to give a review of the game. The problem was I was still heavily conflicted. On one hand I loved the new features, mechanics, factions. On the other hand the Realm of Chaos was OBNOXIOUS but I knew how to dodge it. I wasn't happy with the review I released. I weighted the Realm of Chaos far too lightly and people now think I give the game two thumbs up which is not correct. I even said in the review not to get Warhammer 3 unless you've already overplayed Warhammer 2. I weighed the Realm of Chaos lightly because I wasn't interacting with it at all. It wasn't a part of the campaigns I was playing.

However when the game launched it suddenly became a huge topic and I was bombarded with Realm of Chaos questions and my held back hatred of it burst forth. A month of pent up frustration came out all at once. Rant after rant came out from this anti-fun mechanic but every time it was triggered because someone asked about it. It became impossible for me to just ignore it any more so I decided to stop livestreaming. I simply can't livestream this game without someone asking about the realm of chaos and I'm personally unable to ignore those questions. As a general rule of the channel I answer any gameplay related questions, this conflict became unbearable for me and thus you saw my mood spiral. So to make it perfectly clear. If you remove the Realm of Chaos Daemon Prince Soul Race from Warhammer 3 I would love the game. It'd easily be a 9/10. There are a few annoying bugs and technical issues but I can tolerate all of them. My primary gripe with Warhammer 3 is solely directed at the Realm of Chaos mechanic. It fundamentally and critically breaks the most important rule of any game design. Is it fun? no! I understand you can mod the rifts out and I completely understand when people don't get why I don't do it, but as a personal policy I do not mod my games. It feels like cheating and I immediately lose interest in my campaigns when I mod them. I also understand why people find that confusing because I'll blatantly use exploits and cheese. A man's gotta draw the line somewhere and that's where it is for me. Why am I so mad at CA? As mentioned above I made myself available to them for an entire year and put a lot of things on hold just in case they wanted to make use of me for whatever reason. I was not involved in anything throughout the entire year. No collaborations took place despite them mentioning a number of times a desire to do so.

It is completely up to CA whether or not to take up that offer and whilst it was disappointing for me I can't expect them to do so. However if they don't take me up on the offer now then they never will. I did expect one thing from them. That Warhammer 3 be a success and that it not ruin what they've built from Warhammer 2. If they failed at this, which they did, then the entire partnership breaks down. CA proceeded to be stubborn and take a giant dump on everything they built on Warhammer 2. They thought their secrets so precious that no feedback could possibly have been useful to their "fantastic" idea so they left everyone in the dark until it was far too late to do anything about it. Their arrogance was astounding and now game 3 is in shambles and the community is tearing itself apart. Something like 75% of the playerbase stopped playing and is waiting on Mortal Empires or just isn't coming back at all. If you're in that 25% of people that stayed, great for you, but have some empathy for the others. We had the exact same things being said at Thrones of Britannia's launch. "Why are people complaining. I'm loving this" kind of rubbish. Well Thrones died in the ass and Warhammer 3 might too if you're not careful. Do you want 5 years of dlc support or do you want the 3 Kingdoms express package? CA will abandon years of dlc if it feels like people aren't playing the game. You should be just as concerned as I am. Remember as well that it's not all about me. I wouldn't be pissed at them if this was an isolated incident.

They took NONE of the feedback from other creators as well into consideration. Some of the other feedback was excellent and it was all ignored. The others probably just aren't as pissed about it as I am probably because most of them are currently playing Elden Ring and just waiting for Mortal Empires. I suppose I'm just going to do that now, except I'm playing Skyrim again. New gold ingot stack here I come. All I've ever wanted was for Warhammer 3 to be enjoyed by the entire fan base. It doesn't bother me if one my cheeses or exploits gets patched out. I just find new ones. Warhammer 3 is not currently being enjoyed by the entire fan base. This should have been the best Total War launch ever and instead we got an almost Rome 2 launch. Disappointing as hell. I'm still dedicated to Warhammer 3. A rough launch isn't seeing me abandon the game just like that. But livestreams suck at the moment and I'm not my best self. Livestreaming a different game won't change that. I ask one thing from everyone that reads this and on the reddit. Stop attacking each other. If you don't like the game for whatever reason you are entitled to your opinion and a valued member of the total war community. If you love the game for whatever reason you are entitled to your opinion and a valued member of the total war community. We don't have to be a hive mind and play the exact same way and like the exact same things. Warhammer 3 has problems and most of them were completely preventable.

Not even a rant just an accurate portrayal of what happened. From Legend's review he didn't even demand significant changes to the realm of chaos mechanic beyond adding worthwhile bonuses for getting the souls, which would literally take the devs about an hour to patch in. I'd be surprised if modders haven't already done this and added a simple +10 melee attack factionwide for getting the khorne soul or something similar. The fact that the devs had this feedback 2 months ago and did nothing is pretty egregious.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The problem is hardly a lack of bonuses for collecting souls, though. That alone wouldn't be such a massive issue.

Yes ideally the whole system would receive a complete overhaul, but that'd take time. A 5 min job patching in some rewards to mollify some complaints would be an easy route to take and they didn't even do that.

Well we know WH3 is based on old WH2 before the cavalry update. Also I wonder if charges were nerfed because Ogres were way too strong since they are basically an all heavy cav faction.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Weirdly enough it's not all from a specific older build. The Potion of Speed changes aren't in, or at least not all of them, but other changes that came after PoS are.

tabacila

Augur
While they seems to be pretty crap at keeping their code clean, they probably at least tried to mirror some changes from WH2.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Since announcing the 1.0.2 plan last week, we have more clarification to share with you:
  • The update will not arrive today, but will be available
    next week
  • It will include the performance improvements noted last week—such as the forced V-sync and ongoing issues with Alderlake generation processors—in addition to fixes for desyncs and boot issues preventing certain players from playing or enjoying the game.
  • Unfortunately, the fix for the ALT+Tab crash resulted in new graphical issues, so we will
    NOT
    be bundling it with 1.0.2. Rather, the plan is to host the fix as a
    Steam Beta
    branch once it has undergone further testing. This will allow players to opt-in to the branch and try it out themselves if they’d like, as well as report any issues that might be related to their particular hardware or software setup that can be addressed before releasing it to the larger audience.
  • We’re also implementing the first of several improvements to the Steam patching process with this build, which should cut down the amount of unpacking time required once you’ve downloaded the update. We will continue making adjustments to this system in the future to improve how the files are packaged, downloaded, and installed on all platforms, so watch for those!

Following Patch 1.0.2, we’ll talk a bit more about
Update 1.1
: the first major gameplay update for
Total War: WARHAMMER III
. This is aiming to include several bug fixes, balance tweaks, gameplay changes, and mechanical improvements to a variety of areas in the game.

Here are just a few of the areas that will see improvements in 1.1:
  • The Chaos Realms, negative traits, realm rewards, and rift management
  • Numerous balance tweaks to the Factions
  • Bug fixes (including the Supply Line bug)
  • …and much more!

Many of these changes are based on feedback from the community—with many more of your comments, critiques, and ideas being worked into our future updates. Following 1.1, we'll provide a longer-term look at what's coming in the future. It’s clear that *MANY* players are waiting to hear more about the Blood Pack, Immortal Empires, and other new content coming to the game, and we’re excited to share more about those projects once we’ve established a strong baseline for
WARHAMMER III

More information next week! Watch for it here and on our other official social channels.

At least it looks like they are willing to rework the realm of chaos. I was afraid that they'd be too proud to alter their design and instead just have future DLC races and lords use different campaign mechanics like happened for WH2 vortex campaign DLC. I guess the outcry about realm of chaos must be much worse than vortex (which it does deserve).

tabacila

Augur
I don't think doubling down on something that players are abandoning less than a month after release was a viable strategy anyway.

Total Wareddit is the cuckshed of reddit and that means something. They used to gobble up any small piece of Information the CMs were willing to give and now that the new CM is not even posting anymore amid the dumpsterfire that is WH3, they dont even question it but go along with the "Its shit right now, but mods will fix it the foundation is great!!!1!"
Its people like this that give Devs the Feedback that its okay to release a Beta Version of a game for full price, because they can always "fix" it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I think WH3 being a complete trainwreck at release was expected. It's still pulling in more player numbers than 2, though, which is surprising.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
PATCH 1.0.2
  • Improved our build-authoring process, which will reduce the excessive install times required for relatively small patches. We expect to further reduce these install times with the next game update.
  • Fixed a problem where the vertical sync (VSync) setting was being forced on for some players—artificially limiting the framerate regardless of system specs.
  • Resolved game stuttering issues when playing the game in Windows 11 with Intel Alder Lake (12th-generation) processors.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the game to hang on first boot in certain languages.
  • The game will now display an error if installed to a folder path that uses non-English characters. Doing so will cause the game to be unresponsive. To alleviate this, we recommend changing the installation location to a folder or folder path that doesn't include non-English characters.
tn_1235245586270.jpg

The way they're scrambling to solve basic fucking issues tells me they didn't anticipate all of this either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom