Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut

Huh, so that's what an IRL speech check pass looks like. I'm sold!
Gotta admit I love the art theme they're using on the promo material so far instead of generic minimalistic crap, I hope it extends to the game itself.

Also they confirmed there's different starting vignettes depending on the faction you start with. I think?

Last edited:

Readher

Savant
There's certain types of entertainment where you're just experiencing it. Taking in what the creator wants you to see. And they draw that dotted line between this happens, go here, do this. The more we can put you in the situation where you're going to decide. That's what makes video games the best form of entertainment that they are."
It's been so many years, the tech is so advanced compared to 90s/early 2000s it's ridiculous, and yet no other developer came even close to delivering what BGS does with their games. And they're probably holding back anyway since why bother when there's no competition. I remember when I played Daggerfall back in the day and imagined what a game like that would look like 20 years later and what it could achieve, and here we are with the vast majority of games being linear moviegames, JRPGs or open world games with extremely limited interactivity.

Truly the worst timeline. Every time I play a Bethesda game I'm angry at the untapped potential in many places, and yet I know I'll be playing their next game regardless, because when Todd is crafting his next sandbox sim with unmatched modability, other devs are wasting millions to facescan trannies for their "epic", story-focused, heavily curated, linear piece of crap with "deep" narrative for 14 year olds.

KateMicucci

Arcane
"It's nice with Starfield to go back to some things we didn't do, the backgrounds, the traits, defining your character, all those stats. There's so many games now that do those things, that people are ready for something that does a lot of the things that older hardcore RPGs, something that we used to do, doing those again in a new way."
What a bizarre statement

Butter

Arcane
Patron

• If you're a good player and don't want to play as a bad guy, you can join the Crimson Fleet and report on them to your superiors/other factions, allowing you to be a 'space cop'.

anBn

Sold.

Quillon

Arcane

• Giant open-world for the player to do what they want, focus on non-linear exploration.
  • "It's nice with Starfield to go back to some things we didn't do, the backgrounds, the traits, defining your character, all those stats. There's so many games now that do those things, that people are ready for something that does a lot of the things that older hardcore RPGs, something that we used to do, doing those again in a new way."
  • Severely levelled up the tech for character creation, scanning real-world models etc.
  • "What makes the world feel whole, what are the groups that would make it feel whole and believable, and how does the player interact with them?"
  • The foe faction, the Crimson Fleet, can be joined.
  • If you're a good player and don't want to play as a bad guy, you can join the Crimson Fleet and report on them to your superiors/other factions, allowing you to be a 'space cop'.
  • New persuasion mini-game, didn't start with "Let's do an evolution of the old Oblivion system, but there are a couple of beats there."
  • With the persuasion mini-game, you have to think about "What's my risk here, which do I want to choose? We didn't want it to be a system where there was definitely the 'right' thing to say."
  • "It feels like you're having a conversation where you're actually trying to persuade somebody of something."

its weird af the devs working on the same game are explaining the game to each other, at least put a puppet journo or someone from outside to talk at lmao

Gargaune

Magister

There's certain types of entertainment where you're just experiencing it, you're taking in what the creator wants you to see and they draw that dotted line between "this happens", "go here", "do this". The more that we can put you in the situation where you're gonna decide, that's what makes videogames the best form of entertainment that they are.

Damn, Todd, that's like mailing CDPR a picture of your bollocks signed "How do you like THEM Game Awards?!"

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh, is this forum excited about an upcoming BGS game?
I don't speak for the Codex, but have had plenty of worthwhile hours LARPing in Bethesda games. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with here. For example, what does it mean for them to say they're putting back in some of those actual RPG elements like they used to have?

Actually I really liked that offhand comment Todd made about "the stories the players tell themselves". That's a good sign we may not have to endure the STORY YOU MUST CARE ABOUT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO FIND YOUR LOST DADDY/BABY/TWIN SEPARATED AT BIRTH/FAVORITE PEN FROM CHILDHOOD etc.

Naturally I anticipate I'll still be expected to SAVE THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE FROM THE MEAN PLANET EATING SPACE DRAGON but you can't have everything.

Last edited:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
It will be interesting to see what he means by "older hardcore RPGs, something that we used to do." Does he mean Skyrim, which is approaching 11 years old? Or does he mean Morrowind, which is almost 20 years old? Because there is a huge difference between the two of them. Both in the RPG aspects, but in the actual game design, e.g. Morrowind having no fast travel, limited map, no level scaling, etc.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
It will be interesting to see what he means by "older hardcore RPGs, something that we used to do." Does he mean Skyrim, which is approaching 11 years old? Or does he mean Morrowind, which is almost 20 years old? Because there is a huge difference between the two of them. Both in the RPG aspects, but in the actual game design, e.g. Morrowind having no fast travel, limited map, no level scaling, etc.
they are both shit

Robotigan

Learned
I guarantee there will be fast travel, procgen maps, and level scaling. He's likely referring to the Daggerfall character creator stuff, e.g. choosing background and attributes.

None

Scholar
There's something seriously wrong with this industry and genre if Todd Howard has become a potential savior. I guess we can only hope for the best.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom