Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

It’s pretty depressing when people recognise something is a flaw and then excuse said flaw with:
It's pretty baffling when people can't tell the difference between "recognizing a flaw" and "bashing a game on one of its STRONGEST points because it doesn't live up to an unrealistic fictional standard".

MzgKcYQ.png

Jesus Christ Rusty, you can REALLY be a competitive-tier retarded when you try so hard.
So it doesn't apply just to you fangirling over Larian stupidest ideas.

Looks like you have to rest at the Godrick grace to get Neph-Neph and the Heighster to show up.

Nothing to indicate a new ending as far as I can tell, but there are a few welcome resolutions to character stories.

TBQH I don't think an extra ending is particularly needed. I think people who were considering something to do with Nepheli/Gideon are a little optimistic considering Nepheli is sort of superseded by, you know, the other Loux guy, and Gideon's ambitions are pretty much revealed in the base game. Game gives you quite a few options to either reinforce or subvert the existing order to varying degrees as is, plenty to contemplate.

I would rather they flesh out the Elden Lord ending variants with more distinct cinematics etc but not sure if that will happen.

oldbonebrown

Arcane
I think some of the complaints about re-used content border into "delusional" territory, honestly.

For one, because NO FUCKING SHIT they are going to re-use something with a game this massive, be them enemies, minibosses or assets.
But especially because even putting aside anything "repeated" the amount of unique environments, enemy types, bosses and secret areas remains staggering and it dwarves the overwhelming majority of games I can even begin to think to... In fact, I think it may very well dwarf pretty much ANY other single player game I can think of.

If anything, I'm only positively surprised by the sheer amount of unique content (and places, and fights) the game has to offer. I can't think of many other titles where 80-90 hours into the game I was STILL crossing entire areas (or even regions) I wasn't previously aware of.

What I can concede on the other hand is that to some degree boss fights had to suffer to accommodate for the non-linearity and variety of builds. We are far from the tightness of some of the best Sekiro fights.

I mean, the game has a STAGGERING amount of UNIQUE-LOOKING landscapes, places, spots, buildings and areas.
It doesn't even just have "a lot of them", you could argue that is pretty much UNMATCHED in the amount it offers for a single player title. I can hardly think of anything below Rockstar-tier budget that comes even close (and this still towers over the average Rockstar game for the variety of gameplay situations).
It also has a very interesting landscape to navigate in general, with plenty of unmarked and cleverly hidden place, subtle and less subtle visual cues to draw your attention in the right place organically, etc.

But sure, let's fucking go into full weaponized autism and scream "Travesty!" about a few similar-looking ruins and churches every now and then.

I think maybe it should be a whole lot less massive. It's too busy with pointless content that it makes the game feel bloated and directionless. I find the world tiresome to navigate, everywhere I look it is crammed with places that try so hard to look special that none of them ends up being. Gives me fantasy fatigue to look at all those over designed castles.
It doesn't help that there's so little to be gained in going through most of the locations, there's little loot, no story reason and you're not getting anywhere in beating them, so unlike in Dark Souls I feel no sense of accomplishment in getting through them. You can ride past most of this content and not miss a thing.

I really don't understand what you are talking about with the variety of gameplay situations, its all the same combat everywhere and a whole lot of land that is nowhere near as interesting to ride through as the GTA worlds are.

Last edited:

Funposter

Arcane
Just got to Malenia.
You know, a boss that healed on hit could have been fun and interesting if she had a smaller amount of health but also healed a lot on hit. Would really be about not getting hit!
But her giant health pool, ability to be staggered easily, and fast as fuck attacks means its better to just keep attacking through her attacks and do as much damage as possible regardless of if you get hit.
Which sucks as a boss fight.
You basically just need to imagine that she has 30-50% more HP than she really does, which puts her on par with every other boss at that point in the game.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
locating NPCs wasn't one of the most frequent complaints
I think there were no complaints because you can complaint about locating something you did not know it even exist, before fortuitously locating it...
However I religiously used the manual mark stamps on the map for each NPC I had encountered... so I don't understand why giving you stamps to annotate your map, if the plan was to have automatic annotation anyway.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm sorry but i just read the patch description and it says the NPC marker will appear AFTER you discovered the NPC, and not before it.

Meaning, the game is not doing anything you couldn't do yourself, right? Or am i getting the wrong info here.

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I bought Elden Ring. Turns out both my PS4 controllers have been ruined by being pissed on by a cat. The joysticks don't work any more. Now I need to replace them for the third or fourth time. This is getting expensive! He isn't even my cat he comes in my cat's cat door to steal her food!

Mojobeard

Augur
The shield buff was what I imagined it to be, multiple medium shields now have a better stability than fucking 43 or whatever. Dorito was the only good one and EVERYONE used it.
Blue-Gold Kite Shield had a base stability of 47, it's now 53. Only requiring 12 strength, it's a good alternative for low strength builds. etc.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I have started a second playthrough as a noble samurai. All those who oppose my passing in the Lands Between will be cut down by grorious Rand of Reeds steel. :obviously:

Silva

Arcane
Do I need to start a new playthrough for those changes to take effect?

I bought Elden Ring. Turns out both my PS4 controllers have been ruined by being pissed on by a cat. The joysticks don't work any more. Now I need to replace them for the third or fourth time. This is getting expensive! He isn't even my cat he comes in my cat's cat door to steal her food!
I would check the freeze for missing beers just in case. That and your wife suddenly coming up with new positions.

"Cats" these days... :roll:

Last edited:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have been using same ps4 controller since it was released and zero problems so far.

Every now and then I consider upgrading to a PS 5 controller. Is it worth it? Last time I grabbed a PS controller I felt like it lacked...weight? I used PS1 controllers for most of my childhood + early adolescence, then much later on I bought this X360 controller on my PC and nowadays I still haven't memorized X360 button layout.

Eh...last two controllers I bought (steam controller + hori fighting commando) are collecting dust in some shelf so maybe I should just save the money. Thoughts? Is the PS 5 controller heavier?

Mojobeard

Augur
The jumping puzzle on the side of Bestial Sanctum now has a random killbox, you can't get the items :|. You don't even need to jump, you can just walk all the way down the branch and die.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom