Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
There will be no DLCs, I think.
These people have already sold more than 12M copies and you think they aren't going to come up with some kind of DLC? That would require some crazy Pierre levels of money-hating.
Who is ready to buy some HORSE ARMOR???
Considering FS history with DLCs, their horse armor pack will probably be incredible. In 10 years, they only had a hiccup with Ashes of Ariandel. But I think what they did with Artorias of the Abyss, Crown of the Sunken King, Crown of the Old Iron King, Crown of the Ivory King, and The Ringed City definitely gives them a free pass.

EDIT: how the fuck did I forget to add the best of them? The Old Hunters shits on anything ever sold as DLC in the history of videogames.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
There will be no DLCs, I think.
These people have already sold more than 12M copies and you think they aren't going to come up with some kind of DLC? That would require some crazy Pierre levels of money-hating.
Who is ready to buy some HORSE ARMOR???
Considering FS history with DLCs, their horse armor pack will probably be incredible. In 10 years, they only had a hiccup with Ashes of Ariandel. But I think what they did with Artorias of the Abyss, Crown of the Sunken King, Crown of the Old Iron King, Crown of the Ivory King, and The Ringed City definitely gives them a free pass.

Even Ashes wasn't that bad. And Sister Friede is part of that one.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Possibly controversial but I think The Ringed City is the worst content From has produced in their current era, other than Lost Izalith. I have faith that the inevitable Elden Ring DLC will be much better though

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Considering FS history with DLCs, their horse armor pack will probably be incredible. In 10 years, they only had a hiccup with Ashes of Ariandel.
What? Ashes was so much better than ringed city it isn't funny. Ringed city only has the boss fights over ashes.

TRC is too reliant on gimmicks (angels, spirit summoner thingy, obnoxious ranged enemy turtle) and it even featured a fucking mostly empty swamp like DS3 didn't have enough of those uninteresting levels.
The level with the angels is also pretty bare and uninteresting once you get rid of the angels.

It also felt very fanservicey, like DS3 never mentioned DS2 even once but now look, a ds2 area covered in grey shit, and desert sorceresses! a fitting end for a shitty fanservicey game.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Possibly controversial but I think The Ringed City is the worst content From has produced in their current era, other than Lost Izalith. I have faith that the inevitable Elden Ring DLC will be much better though
Create a thread to articulate this opinion so that I can rate it
crispy.gif

Yeah, when I say "a hiccup", it's still in the context of what they usually do with DLCs. Even being the worst one from FS, it's still one of the best DLCs out there. Friede is great, definitely one of my favorite bosses, and I enjoy the areas and the atmosphere, it just feels... too short. I think it needs another medium-big area and an actual boss instead of the underwhelming wolf guy to be able to stand next to the others.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, when I say "a hiccup", it's still in the context of what they usually do with DLCs. Even being the worst one from FS, it's still one of the best DLCs out there. Friede is great, definitely one of my favorite bosses, and I enjoy the areas and the atmosphere, it just feels... too short. I think it needs another medium-big area and an actual boss instead of the underwhelming wolf guy to be able to stand next to the others.

That makes sense. I compare it against other games' DLCs that have similar or higher price points. By that metric, FS has yet to put out a bad DLC that I'm aware of.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Out of curiosity, why do you think that? Most people seem to feel that it's fairly strong.
The first half involves a lot of running from cover to cover while trying not to get one shot, which I really hate. I think From games are weakest when you're getting shot at by something in the distance and have to make your way by hiding behind cover. And I think the enemy placement is pretty sus in the second half, especially that one alleyway with 7 (6?) of the big fat fellows in a row, which leads into a pretty easy and boring swamp.

It had some good bosses though, Gael and the Demon Prince were great, the PVP boss was decent. Midir was kind of a pain in the ass but I played both DS3 dlcs on ng+7 on my first run, I probably wouldn't mind Midir as much if i was on ng.

Unlike other people I wasn't really worried about the dollar value of the dlcs since I bought the season pass, I just took the two DLC's in terms of content to price ratio as a whole. That said I still prefer a shorter but more enjoyable dlc over a bigger but less enjoyable one.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
it just feels... too short. I think it needs another medium-big area and an actual boss instead of the underwhelming wolf guy to be able to stand next to the others.
Better being short than feature the trillionth empty swamp bruh.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So I passed the 100 hour mark thinking, two more zones to go AFAIK - the Mountaintops and then the broken zone I got a peek of when transported by the Imbued Gateway.

But then I hopped back to the Hold, talked to the red stinker dude. He gave me a key for "sewers" in Leyndell.

What sewers? Never found any.

Got to SCOUR Leyndell, found the well. And holy shit, that's another half-day worth of a zone I didn't even know existed. Liked the Mogh Omen fight a lot, very much about gitting gud instead of your typial ER bullshit.

Now I'm sitting at 115 hours and still two more zones to go (or so I assume).

This is by far the longest SP game I've ever played. Took me 110 hours to finish TW3, 100 hours for AC: Origins and Odyssey. 130 hours for Kingdom Come but that was with all the DLCs. ER's gonna be like 150 hours, depending on how much will I want to sperg on the final bosses.

Thank you NJClaw anon! Good strong Emilia Romagna friend anon! I do love cute based moonpilled Old Hunters kino anon! I do! I do love you anon! I do!

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Considering FS history with DLCs, their horse armor pack will probably be incredible. In 10 years, they only had a hiccup with Ashes of Ariandel.
What? Ashes was so much better than ringed city it isn't funny. Ringed city only has the boss fights over ashes.

TRC is too reliant on gimmicks (angels, spirit summoner thingy, obnoxious ranged enemy turtle) and it even featured a fucking mostly empty swamp like DS3 didn't have enough of those uninteresting levels.
The level with the angels is also pretty bare and uninteresting once you get rid of the angels.

It also felt very fanservicey, like DS3 never mentioned DS2 even once but now look, a ds2 area covered in grey shit, and desert sorceresses! a fitting end for a shitty fanservicey game.
What can I say, I really like those boss fights. Having three great bosses + the gimmick multiplayer one (which was very fun at release but is almost useless now) would be enough on its own for me, but I also loved the city itself, the ringed knights, and the added weapons (Splitleaf Greatsword, Harald Curved Greatsword, Ringed Knight Straight Sword, Ringed Knight Spear, Ringed Knight Paired Greatsword, Frayed Blade, Gael's Greatsword, Ledo's Great Hammer, Crucifix of the Mad King and, above them all, my one true love: the Aquamarine Dagger). The encounters with the adjudicator were good, Patches' questline was a great wrap up story for the entire series, and the city had enough to explore for me to be satisfied.

And, even if it's not your main point, it isn't true that DS3 never mentioned DS2. The hints were never as much in your face as the DS1 ones (and how would that even be possible?), but they were still there, the biggest of them being the Shield of Want.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Just how bad is the bloody slash nerf?
It casts slower, does more damage to yourself, the damage to enemies is similar. In a video I watched it was doing more damage after the patch because of the arcane scaling fix, but it should usually do 15% or so less on most weapons. The nerf to bloody slash is much smaller than the nerf to hoarfrost and sword of night and flame which were nerfed by 40% or so.

hackncrazy

Savant
I've seen a lot of speedrunners crying because of the nerfs on Sword of Night and Hoarfrost. Now they'll have to speedrun it without destroying the bosses in 2 seconds.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Yeah, it's still a good art. Same for the mimic, in fact I'd still say it's the best spirit ash out there, I can't see why someone would use another spirit (maybe if you're a pure caster and didn't even upgrade a decent melee weapon? mimic would kinda suck) once they got it.

I have no idea why the night and flame sword got nerfed so hard, it's so slow to use and unwiedly compared to many other good weapon arts. Deals good damage but I'd rather use rivers of blood, moonveil or dark moon greatsword.

I haven't played DeS yet but I got the remake so I'll try that and see how it compares to elden ring.

Better play the original on an emulator. The remake butchered the atmosphere as far as I can tell.
I think this is an exaggeration. Some details are definitely off (Flamelurker being the most egregious example, especially the soundtrack for me which replaced a very moody theme that was my favourite in the original game with some generic bombastic symphonic crap), but the overall package is great. I had a lot of fun with it.

Unwanted

You

Unwanted

Looking forward to the obligatory "akshully guys, Skyrim is superior to Elden Ring because..."

And yea I do think its quite a bit closer than anyone here would care to admit.
top ten reasons why elden scroll iv: oblibion souls is a better game than olden cringe and skyrim of the wild: dark risen

1. dragons are rare and mythical and not just another trashmob you kill one million times

2. the difficulty is so highly tuned you can never get ovelevelled, the game actually gets harder as you play it!

3. since demon's todd is perfectly balanced there is not need to make the game artificially more difficult by adding pvp and the player is expected to git gud instead of depending on other players or a mimic to defeat the boss for them

4. enemies are tough but fair, they play by the same rules as the player and don't get to larp being in an anime, they have fatigue and magicka that can run out - they can't just wombo-combo you forever

5. you can go everywhere and anywhere, exploring as much or as little of the world as you want and the game doesn't force you to go to boring areas to farm and get upgrades

6. the only way to get op is through the sheer genius of the player and the arcane arts of enchanting and alchemy, the game won't just hand you an i-win ticket, you have to make it yourself

7. deep lore and story that can be ignored but is there for the literati, it's not just nonsense pretending to be deep crapped out by google translate and gurm - it also doesn't try to be too much of a power fantasy, you dont' get to decide the fate of the world, you're just helping the real protagonist

8. radiant ai that makes the npcs go about their lives without being centered around the player - they eat, sleep, work and go visit and talk to friends without being scripted by the plot to do so - they never teleport around without rhyme or reason (if they have to go somewhere they physically walk or ride there)

9. the game is so hardcore you can't respec, if you make a shit character you have to start over from the beginning

10. todd knew horse combat would be inbalanced so you're not allowed to use your horse to kite enemies

11. todd howard in his prime

ogN0t1W.png

So I passed the 100 hour mark thinking, two more zones to go AFAIK - the Mountaintops and then the broken zone I got a peek of when transported by the Imbued Gateway.

But then I hopped back to the Hold, talked to the red stinker dude. He gave me a key for "sewers" in Leyndell.

What sewers? Never found any.

Got to SCOUR Leyndell, found the well. And holy shit, that's another half-day worth of a zone I didn't even know existed. Liked the Mogh Omen fight a lot, very much about gitting gud instead of your typial ER bullshit.

Now I'm sitting at 115 hours and still two more zones to go (or so I assume).

This is by far the longest SP game I've ever played. Took me 110 hours to finish TW3, 100 hours for AC: Origins and Odyssey. 130 hours for Kingdom Come but that was with all the DLCs. ER's gonna be like 150 hours, depending on how much will I want to sperg on the final bosses.
Leyndell sewers Mohg is actually
a nerfed version of the actual Mohg, who is a shardbearer and can be found in Mohgwyn Palace. If you liked that fight you'll like the main one even better.

And there's an entire optional zone (more like 3 zones) where you fight the best boss in the game (Malenia). Not to mention all the other optional underground zones.

The game is incredibly long. Way too long for my tastes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom