Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness - Tales of the Moon Cult expansion on the way

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Resistances? I'm not very far into the game, but so far they seem to be entirely negligible for mages, even on Hard (Veteran?).
Mostly matter for melee combat, which you won't send any mage into anyway.

Late game tip regarding resistances:

You want high fire resistance for everyone

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
I played a bit of the full version now and I have to admit I'm a little disillusioned.

01222bf49ed0a12c287f417577687062bad04b47.png

Performance wise I do not notice any improvement whatsoever. Still can only run the game on minimum gfx settings without my fans going crazy and loading times haven't decreased one bit for me. Yet random encounters seem more frequent now (3 to 4 trashmobs that are dispatched within 10 seconds while loading in 40 seconds and another 40 seconds when leaving the random encounter map). Was really hoping for improvement in this department, not a setback.

19c4e407adae701e7d8b5cec8a2bfce4c7d8b53f.png

While praising environmental story telling before where you have to make your own conclusions, I now realize this was a false interpretation on my part. Old maps from EA now are changed where you find associated NPCs/Quests there now, which explain the mystery/give quests. So it was not a design choice but simply unfinished content. As a side effect I now have to revisit every single location again and comb through the whole map again in order to look for added NPCs/Quests.

bf2453ae148c66b05ce0b253948a4b0fafb15e24.png

Combat wasn't challenging before, now it's even easier with the changes.

So yeah sadly my conclusion is that Black Geyser hasn't anything special going for it. Just another mediocre title.
If you are still on the fence about it, my advise would be to wait for a steep sale at the very least.

Contagium

Savant
Patron
Some portraits resized for your Black Geysering pleasure.

IuNRLQr.png
sPaJFYN.png
rvedApA.png
LvWZ2ql.png
FzAqAul.png
bPSmiu9.png
FpOmDhH.png
7SngtSl.png
VHroKkO.png
n3pw7Vj.png

Stick 'em in your custom_portraits folder with the name "male_<<whatever>>.png".

This is great. I was severely disappointed that I couldn't choose from a bald white bearded dude like I am in any game I've ever played. The standard portraits suck.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
So yeah sadly my conclusion is that Black Geyser hasn't anything special going for it. Just another mediocre title.
If you are still on the fence about it, my advise would be to wait for a steep sale at the very least.
Yet another originality killed, teeth pulled out from any gameplay difficulty so that it can't bite lazy gamers' asses and everything done so that comfort of loudest Steam normies doesn't get disturbed. Because most modern Devs are bitches, simping for attention of Steam audience. Same scenario has repeated again, and again, and again, and again. Encased was victim of same faith. Biological Leninism at work. Meek, stupid and boring shall kill strong, smart and creative. Mediocrity hates exceptionalism

Black Geyser is playable, works more/less, has nice artwork and released. That's more then you'll ever be able to say for many RPG projects like Realms Beyond and both operated with 100.000$ budget. Congratulations to Devs, despite all odds, your first game is out. From meme to real thing!

Mortmal

Arcane
Asked in discord and sadly looks like golem crafting is DLC only :despair:

If someone is curious about high level spells, I recently reached the sixth circle of 7. A lot of damage = 10~74+ 2~16 + concussion and brittle conditions for a base energy spell.

krVE76W.png

However, you have way more limited hiugh level spell slots. You can't spam it like the snow spell.

So far, magic is way stronger than Pillars but way weaker than Baldur's Gate 2.
Magic is stronger than in poe, but inconvenient to use and select from the bar, AOE painful to use as usual in rtwp, If you are not careful your mage get down in two hits late game, while melees are fire and forget with barely any need to heal . Again you dont find much equipment for a wizard while i could find lot of stuff for meele and the only "pricey" items on vendors,an hammer for 5K for exemple.The game rather favor melee types on everything .
Greed system is disapointing so far, there's no reason for itas even being altruistic you will get more than enough gold , and best stuff is looted or rewards, sometime not even raising the greed counter.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Magic is stronger than in poe, but inconvenient to use and select from the bar, AOE painful to use as usual in rtwp, If you are not careful your mage get down in two hits late game, while melees are fire and forget with barely any need to heal . Again you dont find much equipment for a wizard while i could find lot of stuff for meele and the only "pricey" items on vendors,an hammer for 5K for exemple.The game rather favor melee types on everything .

AoE spells aren't bad. You just don't cast then in mid of combat, cast before engaging the enemy. Spells like infernal weave(circle 5) are very limited in usage. And fireball applies burning. This types of spells are great to START the battle, not to cast in mid of a fight. Disabling spells are great, summons are great, single target damage are great, battlefield control spells are great, supporting spells are great and AoE are great but risky.

As for gear, IMO magic users should have little to no gear dependency. And I also don't see a problem with mages being down in two hits. In fact, mages should be squishy and weak physically, as they don't train much their bodies and have a huge arsenal of spells to help avoid being hit plus a great offensive power in exchange. The Glacial rush which I posted in the previous page, 12~90 damage + concussion + brittle. Decreasing enemy attributes, attack speed, resistance vs pulse and blow effects(...)

And the most powerful spell for wintermage in the game is permafrost. Targets who spend 2 turns in that area which deals constant damage gains the "frozen' condition, Imagine a spell like incendiary cloud in Baldur's Gate. Now imagine it dealing cold damage instead of fire which is less resisted. Now imagine that also debuffing enemies and if they spend two turns there, casting flesh to stone. That is the strongest ice spell in the game. The unique downside is the low duration of "persistent" spells. The spells and spell system in this game I honestly liked. You learn low level spells quickly but high level spells take more time, more devastating spells are more limited in usage. So far the alterations to the vancian magical system are quite good.

About greed system, I agree that it is a disappointment.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'm missing the tactical combat speed control that KM / WotR features (you know, the one that causes time in combat to run in super slow-mo as you hold the key down).

Shit can happen so fast in this game that at lower levels you can die without even knowing what the hell happened.

Fuck, I hate RTwP.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
About greed system, I agree that it is a disappointment
Actual implementation of any innovative system in video game which would disturb old habits of dopamine flow and give different and more difficult RPG experience will always be met with hostility by midwit Steam normies and demand Devs with balls who'll defend their vision and tell them to politely fuck off and play on normal difficulty. Instead most Devs pull all teeth from any such new mechanical system in fear of losing potential sales, fear which is unfounded and stupid because you can always tailor normal difficulty for normies and tell them to fuck off to it. If I was Dev, I'd reply to every single negative review with: play game on normie difficulty

Steam midwits have in past 8 years killed every and any attempt at experimentation in RPG design which would rise difficulty and immersion lvls. Through demands of Quality of Life and Balance.TM improvements they have homogenezied RPG design through threats of boycot and applying on Devs soft power of negative Steam review which is somewhat in reality and very much in the eyes of most Devs, all-powerful

Gaming masses don't know what they want, just like women, and as such should not be listened. Instead Devs should stick to their design visions, listen to gamers feedback and feedback that doesn't subvert DNA of game's soul should be listened to. Rest of it is whining by those that want game to be something else, and every game be the same

TLDR: Devs with balls are rarety. Devs need to grow bigger balls. Risking lesser short-term profits will create strong brand name and much bigger long term profits

P.S. Black Geyser has quite nice UI, in synch with game's theme, that can be improved with some quality of life additions/tweaks. Most modern UI is done by same soulless guy, some ex-Apple dev. When I find him, I'll break all his fingers so he can't code no more. Fuck modern UI

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
One more thing: any such creativity is risky until it becomes established on market and gains its audience. Elden Ring sold 10 000 000+ copies on Steam in less then month. Power of brand. Soul of brand is original experience. Dark Souls would never exist as we know it if it went through Steam Early Access and FromSoftware listened to all gamers' feedback. Down with tyranny of midwit masses. We need to resurrect Creators

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Devs, stop trying to be liked and to please everyone. That's something elite hookers can't achieve and you should never try. Not in your life, not in RPG design

Mortmal

Arcane
About greed system, I agree that it is a disappointment
Actual implementation of any innovative system in video game which would disturb old habits of dopamine flow and give different and more difficult RPG experience will always be met with hostility by midwit Steam normies and demand Devs with balls who'll defend their vision and tell them to politely fuck off and play on normal difficulty. Instead most Devs pull all teeth from any such new mechanical system in fear of losing potential sales, fear which is unfounded and stupid because you can always tailor normal difficulty for normies and tell them to fuck off to it. If I was Dev, I'd reply to every single negative review with: play game on normie difficulty

Steam midwits have in past 8 years killed every and any attempt at experimentation in RPG design which would rise difficulty and immersion lvls. Through demands of Quality of Life and Balance.TM improvements they have homogenezied RPG design through threats of boycot and applying on Devs soft power of negative Steam review which is somewhat in reality and very much in the eyes of most Devs, all-powerful

Gaming masses don't know what they want, just like women, and as such should not be listened. Instead Devs should stick to their design visions, listen to gamers feedback and feedback that doesn't subvert DNA of game's soul should be listened to. Rest of it is whining by those that want game to be something else, and every game be the same

TLDR: Devs with balls are rarety. Devs need to grow bigger balls. Risking lesser short-term profits will create strong brand name and much bigger long term profits

P.S. Black Geyser has quite nice UI, in synch with game's theme, that can be improved with some quality of life additions/tweaks. Most modern UI is done by same soulless guy, some ex-Apple dev. When I find him, I'll break all his fingers so he can't code no more. Fuck modern UI

Think it was simply bugged, i am playing today and while before looting an item was raising the greed by 1 , now it raises it by 100!
I think it's spawning new monsters as well, i ma not sure if its the night and day cycle or that yet.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Think it was simply bugged, i am playing today and while before looting an item was raising the greed by 1 , now it raises it by 100!
I think it's spawning new monsters as well, i ma not sure if its the night and day cycle or that yet.
That sounds MUCH better

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Greeeeeed... must. have. more. greeeed.

It's the one interesting feature of the game IMO. If I ever put up with RTwP, it'll be if the greed system is a well implemented mechanic.

Nm6k

Scholar
It kind of reminds me of the chaos system in the Dishonor series. Like it however I doubt it will have a large impact until the later half of the game. Still excited to at very see how different the later game will be for different levels of greed. It's the only reason why I'm playing though the game right now since the story isn't impressing me so far just like what I have played in early access.

Mortmal

Arcane
Each new chapter seems like greed raises a LOT.
Yes and now the peasants and town inhabitants are assaulting the guards , undeads type of enemies appear, prices going up, need to hire guards to rest at inn . System should have been more drastic earlier although.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom