Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline What controller do you nerds use?

Codex Year of the Donut
I plugged my old usb controller in and steam recognized it just fine then automatically setup profiles for me. I have no idea what this xinput junk is.
:avatard:

Melcar

Arcane
I plugged my old usb controller in and steam recognized it just fine then automatically setup profiles for me. I have no idea what this xinput junk is.

It's just an API. DirectInput was the older API used and now most controllers (Xbox and clones at least) use XInput. It really does not matter unless you are trying to use an old controller (pre Xbox 360).

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Just threw away my old generic controller. Opened it, took it apart, cleaned it, tried to make it work. No dice at all.

Didn't use that thing for years, I can see why it stopped working. Yeah whatever, I'm buying another one.
Shit fam, XB1SX was on sale yesterday. :?

But tards say Steam is useless! Lel

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I always had playstations, this generation I opted for the series x, gota say I'm not a fan of the Xbox controller design when compared to the dualshock, so I still use my PS4 controller on the PC.

Wired 360 pad. It just works. More honestly I don't use a controller 99.9% of the time and I'll be sad when it eventually breaks or dies but it's fine.
Also got a Steam controller which I was really impressed with after fucking around with it but I also never use it because if I'm playing on my PC I'd rather use mouse and keyboard, but it was pretty easy to configure for shit and you could set it up to be really comfortable in a variety of games.
Finally I'd like to give an honorable mention to the PS5 controller because it may be too sci-fi for my PC with this "Blue" "Tooth" so it doesn't count as a controller for my PC, but all the fancy force feedback shit is actually kinda cool. The battery life isn't that great but since I rarely play more than an hour at any given time it's not an issue for me, but I could see die-hard console players having an issue with the batteries. I do wish the position of the d-pad and the left stick were swapped like an Xbox controller though, I find that positioning more comfortable.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Are the controllers linked here good? YES. Will they get the job done for any game you play? YES. Do they have drip? NO.

And that is what separates us once again, Codex. Behold my mastapeece:

946.jpg

DRIP.

Lucumo

Educated
Do these old PS2 gamepads even work with recent games?
You can probably hack it together, using XInput emulator, but it won't worth the effort.
Why hack it together? So far, it's always worked for me without any issues. Though, I don't know about "recent" games but decently into the 10s, it wasn't a problem. Maybe the shift of PC games towards forcing XBox controls for controllers is an issue but other than that...

Duraframe300

Arcane
Never used a gamepad, and I emulate a lot of console games on PC too. If I need sometime a 6 axis gyroscope controller, I map it to my smartphone. The same if I need multi touch controls.

Up until the bolded part I was really feeling some pc master race energy.....

Then you obliterated that image by saying you use a smartphone for controlling games.

:dead:

As for the thread: I use a DS4 via DSWindows.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
DS4 with DS4Windows is the only way to go for me too. My old Xbone controller feels like a dinosaur hip bone in my hands. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Never used a gamepad, and I emulate a lot of console games on PC too. If I need sometime a 6 axis gyroscope controller, I map it to my smartphone. The same if I need multi touch controls.

Then you obliterated that image by saying you use a smartphone for controlling games.

No, mybe I wasn't clear.
I just use kb+m instead of a gamepad, and that's it.

In very rare cases where I need also a gyroscope based controller, for example to play some parts of Zelda BotW, I still use kb+m for the standard momements, but I map the 6-axis rotations on the accelerometer of my smart phone that I use just for this (in practice I needed to do that for a few specific game puzzles that require a very precise space-rotational control).
A similar approach for games that require multitouch (I cannot use a single mouse for multi-touch)

Edit: ok, now I feel ashamed. I swear, I will never use a smart phone again.

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mouse and keyboard you fucking consolefag.

The original IBM PC came with a joystick, the gameport interface allowed for all sorts of controller types, pretty much all 8bit home computers always had controller support ever since the Apple 2 introduced the concept of a "home computer" that you didn't buy in PCBs and gamepads existed on computers before even the mouse itself was assumed to be a device everyone has. You can even play a lot of DOS PC classics using just a gamepad.

This dichotomy of gamepads = consoles and KB+M = PC is false at its core and was false from the beginning.

The strength of the PC is to not be an open platform not bound by such restrictions, a PC can use any control scheme, the only limitation is the software - and your skills.

I'm using the Xbox Series S controller on PC (which is literally the same as X version, just white), and the D-Pad alone makes it worth it imo. Now I can't go back to regular D-pads because of how tactile this one feels.

Is the d-pad actually good? I have an XB1 gamepad and the dpad being an actual dpad instead of a disc with etches is what makes me think that it is the best gamepad Microsoft made (and if i ever need to replace it i'd be looking for some gamepad with a dpad too). But i might be missing something, have you used an XB1 gamepad?

No, mybe I wasn't clear.
I just use kb+m instead of a gamepad, and that's it.

In very rare cases where I need also a gyroscope based controller, for example to play some parts of Zelda BotW, I still use kb+m for the standard momements, but I map the 6-axis rotations on the accelerometer of my smart phone that I use just for this (in practice I needed to do that for a few specific game puzzles that require a very precise space-rotational control).
A similar approach for games that require multitouch (I cannot use a single mouse for multi-touch)

Edit: ok, now I feel ashamed. I swear, I will never use a smart phone again.
I mean, whatever works for you man. It just seems both much more complicated and likely much more finicky than just buying a controller.

Duraframe300

Arcane
This dichotomy of gamepads = consoles and KB+M = PC is false at its core and was false from the beginning.

The strength of the PC is to not be an open platform not bound by such restrictions, a PC can use any control scheme, the only limitation is the software - and your skills.

True pc gamers use wheels for racing games and Joysticks for Flight and Space Sims.

+M

Gromlintroid

Learned
Wireless Xbox One controller, never had a single issue with them, used the 360 ones before that.

ferratilis

Magister
Is the d-pad actually good? I have an XB1 gamepad and the dpad being an actual dpad instead of a disc with etches is what makes me think that it is the best gamepad Microsoft made (and if i ever need to replace it i'd be looking for some gamepad with a dpad too). But i might be missing something, have you used an XB1 gamepad?

Haven't used an XB1 gamepad, but I remember watching a disassembly video and the guy said that both D-pads are literally the same internally, it's just the top that is different. Instead of a cross, now you have a concave circle. I like it because it's clicky and sturdy, unlike most other gamepads that have wobbly D-pads. I also have an 8bitdo SN30+, and the D-pad on that controller feels like a mushy pos compared to XS controller (and people swear by 8bitdo D-pads, so there's that).

Lucumo

Educated

True pc gamers use wheels for racing games and Joysticks for Flight and Space Sims.

+M
While not wrong, it really just depends on your commitment to the genre. No point in spending lots of money if you just casually play a game once every couple of months.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Depends on what you have around :-P. I know a guy who has made his own arcade-like controller with full size buttons, etc, basically something like this:

BBOrW6p.jpg

...except he made it ~17 years ago and with a box made of iron, steer or something heavy like that :-P.

I do want to buy a decent joystick myself though at some point, though. That is mainly for playing arcade-like games like Descent and Overload (...so, like Descent :-P) not full flight sims, but i'd like it to last for more than a week.

Haven't used an XB1 gamepad, but I remember watching a disassembly video and the guy said that both D-pads are literally the same internally, it's just the top that is different. Instead of a cross, now you have a concave circle. I

Yeah but IMO it is the cross that makes the difference. I haven't tried the new gamepad but i've tried the original XB360 gamepad which was also a disc and i think the XB1 feels much better. I think i'll need to ask someone who has tried all three :-P.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Do these old PS2 gamepads even work with recent games?
You can probably hack it together, using XInput emulator, but it won't worth the effort.
Why hack it together? So far, it's always worked for me without any issues. Though, I don't know about "recent" games but decently into the 10s, it wasn't a problem. Maybe the shift of PC games towards forcing XBox controls for controllers is an issue but other than that...
In the last decade windows games started using Xinput (which modern controllers support), intead of DirectInput which older controllers like the PS2 controller use. This might cause problems with some games if you use an older controller. Although there is an easy fix with Xemu360.

yellowcake

Arcane
I got a wired xbox360 a few years ago to get into some Japanese stuff and I don't complain. Made me go through Yoko Taro oeuvre and a bit of emulators. In the meantime I killed the original controller and got myself an X1 Elite some time in 2018 which I recommend.

Here in bananaland the PS5 seems to be cheaper. Strange. It's good to know the D-Pad is improved, my X360 "down" d-pad key has been busted for like YEARS, but it doesn't really matter, I don't play fighting games with that controller. As for the batteries, I have plenty of rechargeable batteries and charges around.

But anyway, from what I read the PS5 is STILL not working on PC without some 3rd party shenanigans. I'm not about to spend money on a headache so if/when I upgrade I guess Xbox S/X it is.
Steam has native support for the PS5 pad, but you need 3rd party stuff for anything outside Steam.

I personally use an Xbox One controller (the old model with the wireless dongle) for regular popamole (the dpad on it is fucking awful though) and an 8bitdo M30 for emulators.

This is their Megadrive/Genesis knockoff and it works very well, build quality is great and the dpad is very very good. Bluetooth isn't too laggy (though you can also used it wired for reduced latency) and it also works on the Switch, which I play from time to time.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom