Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

SumDrunkGuy

That scarlet rot/poison cure has already been invaluable as far as utility goes

Where in the hell did you get a cure for scarlet rot? I could have used that last night during my 3 hour struggle against Decaying Dragon.
:negative:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
SL21 guise!

God bored of small arms, had to level up str and stamina to try some of the heavier weapons. Bastard Sword or Lordswron's Greatsword, which is better and why?

I left the Claymore for later in case i get hooked and won't try any other weapon again.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
SL21 guise!

God bored of small arms, had to level up str and stamina to try some of the heavier weapons. Bastard Sword or Lordswron's Greatsword, which is better and why?

I left the Claymore for later in case i get hooked and won't try any other weapon again.

The "Greatsword"

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So, apart from the Moonveil being the absolute king of the meta right now, what other weapons you guys feel stand a cut above the rest? Im especially interested in "normal" weapons (the ones you can freely change AoW).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
So, apart from the Moonveil being the absolute king of the meta right now, what other weapons you guys feel stand a cut above the rest? Im especially interested in "normal" weapons (the ones you can freely change AoW).

The "Greatsword"

Correct_Carlo

Arcane

Where in the hell did you get a cure for scarlet rot? I could have used that last night during my 3 hour struggle against Decaying Dragon.

cRaFtINg is UsELEsS

It's not useless, I'm just really fucking lazy, so I just chug healing whenever I get scarlet rot. Honestly, I've never had a problem.

Steezus

Savant
Patron

I haven't used Moonveil at all as of now, but didn't it get nerfed pretty significantly?

I think the arcane stuff is pretty strong right now, Moghwyn's Spear, Rivers of Blood, Eleonora's Poleblade. Even power stancing two fast weapons with the bleed modifier, which scales off of arcane, are strong.

The "Greatsword"

Eh, greatswords are mostly kinda weak compared to pretty much everything else. Too slow and not enough dmg. There are some exceptions with nuts weapon arts like Blasphemous Blade, but across the board, they're def not "meta".[/QUOTE]

SumDrunkGuy

Yeah this was a major knock for me.

The open world monster rune drop is HORRIBLY balanced. Why would I spend 2 minutes fighting ridiculous armored lobster for 400 runes when with that same amount of time I could warp back to the spot next to 5 trolls and get like 4-5k in the same amount of time from significantly easier mobs?

The rune progression balancing is just hideously bad.

If you need runes just go to beastial sanctum. You can get 50k runes in like 15 minutes just by killing the little guys over and over.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane

I'm duel welding "Rivers of Blood" + a Blood fused Uchigatana. Both scale off of dex and arcane. RoB has like 87 bleed and Uchi has 111 with my current stats. Plus, RoB's weapon art fucks shit up. NG+ Godrick had just a tiny sliver of health left when his midfight transition kicked in.

When I get bored I switch to x2 duel welding Hoslow's Pedal Whips, both infused with Bloodhound Step and +Blood to scale with Dex and Arc. Whips are underrated, especially for crowd control. They have very long range, they apply bleed very quickly, and they can stun lock crowds too. I'm not one for PvP, but as a bonus they are really difficult to anticipate the movements and dodge in PvP.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lmao, so i'm doing that area in the tutorial you can access with the stone key, and two of those fucking wierd things with 10 arms like the one you meet inm the beggining spawn on my ass, so a lure them in a panic back the way i came and i stood in a nitche with barricate on a loop while they both got toched by the flame statue that's there.

Lul fuck you From, i didn't die to your stupid traps this time.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Lmao, so i'm doing that area in the tutorial you can access with the stone key, and two of those fucking wierd things with 10 arms like the one you meet inm the beggining spawn on my ass, so a lure them in a panic back the way i came and i stood in a nitche with barricate on a loop while they both got toched by the flame statue that's there.

Lul fuck you From, i didn't die to your stupid traps this time.

Yeah, did the same. I honestly think that's the intended way to deal with them.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
The "Greatsword"

Eh, greatswords are mostly kinda weak compared to pretty much everything else. Too slow and not enough dmg. There are some exceptions with nuts weapon arts like Blasphemous Blade, but across the board, they're def not "meta".

"Greatsword" is actually a colossal sword.

Yep, pretty slow. But it has awesome reach and enemy stagger potential.
Also its extremely wide R2 270 degree (or something like that) swings are great for clearing trash effectively (and catching enemies).
The rolling and crouching stabs are very fast. Jump attacks are good also, if you're into playing Super Mario.

You can use any Ash of War and Whetstone with it, making it beautifully customizable. I abused the shit of Hoarfrost stomp before on some bosses (like Radahn and Misbegotten + Crucible around level 45), but after I finally got Bloodhound Step - that is a fantastic combination with a colossal sword, eliminating its biggest weaknesses - slowness, large openings. Now you can have huge i-frames, fantastic mobility and reach with a colossal sword.
A match made in heaven!

I suck at Soulsborne games, badly. Repeated some boss fights more times then I'd like to admit - or cheesed them with summons and/or Hoarfrost. But since getting Bloodhound's Step I haven't had any difficult fights. With Step you get in the enemy face with i-frames and your colossal weapon destroys their pose.
Of course, things will likely change when I get trough Leyndell and into end game areas, but still. For the first time I feel strong (and beat most mini-bosses on 1st try). Well, finally getting decent Vit and stronger armor with Dragoncrest Shield +1 certainly helped also.

Still like to use Frost damage enchant with the Glintstone Whetstone - when I will work on maxing Str, it probably won't be useful anymore, but for now Frostbite is still lovely, even without Hoarfrost Art.

Greatsword is love. Greatsword is lifestyle.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Greatsword is love. Greatsword is lifestyle.

Using two of them is even better. Jump attack alone screws most of the enemies.

Yeah, I know its potent. And could actually not be that difficult/cumbersome with Bloodhound Step. But personally I prefer the two-handed moves and reach.
Not a fan of Power Stancing - although I realize its strong. Also not a fan of Super Mario :)

Steezus

Savant
Patron
I started using a unique colossal on the last 3 or 4 bosses in the game and they absolutely wrecked me to the point where I had to go back to my Blasphemous Blade. They were just too slow, but I gotta admit, pairing them with Bloodhound's Step doesn't sound bad.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Yeah this was a major knock for me.

The open world monster rune drop is HORRIBLY balanced. Why would I spend 2 minutes fighting ridiculous armored lobster for 400 runes when with that same amount of time I could warp back to the spot next to 5 trolls and get like 4-5k in the same amount of time from significantly easier mobs?

The rune progression balancing is just hideously bad.

If you need runes just go to beastial sanctum. You can get 50k runes in like 15 minutes just by killing the little guys over and over.

Sounds neat.
The best area for soul hunting for me so far was Fort Farrum entrance - with 3 harpies and maybe about 4 bats. Harpies are a little dangerous but get stunlocked easily and give good xp. Once you hit one, it should stay down until dead. You can summon there - and the crossbow marionette soldiers machinegune fire screws the AI pretty nicely there.

Efe

Erudite
I was trying to get some use out of greatsword and it was really easy to break poise with cragblade but settled for nials halberd.
much lower requirements and doesnt require dismounting nonstop to two-hand horseback.
lower damage but faster and breaks poise well still.
tried it on rennala it was over in a minute

Brickfrog

Learned
Ultra Greatswords wont carry you through the game very well because some bosses will swing too quickly and not get staggered themselves. Youl need a backup weapon.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Ultra Greatswords wont carry you through the game very well because some bosses will swing too quickly and not get staggered themselves. Youl need a backup weapon.

Didn't say its easy. But "need" a backup weapon? Especially if you use summons and other tools? Didn't "need" one so far. Maybe things will change end game?
But I doubt it with summons and Bloodhound's Step.

Brickfrog

Learned
Ultra Greatswords wont carry you through the game very well because some bosses will swing too quickly and wont get staggered themselves. Youl need a backup weapon.

Didn't say its easy. But "need" a backup weapon? Especially if you use summons and other tools? Didn't "need" one so far. Maybe things will change end game?
But I doubt it with summons and Bloodhound's Step.

I had some real problems with UGS against some end game bosses (Melania and godskin duo in particular). The inability to dodge out of counter attacks was a real problem but perhaps bloodhound step solves that if it can cancel out of backswings.

fcmq9Uu.png

Boom. Finished late last night.

Think Radagon and the Elden Beast would be easier to appreciate as seperate fights. I hated having to redo the Radagon fight for each Elden Beast attempt.
Will gather some thoughts and post a summary at some point.

Shrimp

Arbiter

cRaFtINg is UsELEsS

It's not useless, I'm just really fucking lazy, so I just chug healing whenever I get scarlet rot. Honestly, I've never had a problem.
There's a low level Incantation that cures it as well. I think I picked it up somewhere in Liurnia.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19nTQrpxPppIUzoXkfyX0iu3gxD7Aeux58Dr8xvIDKlQ/

Found what I was looking for. Spreadsheet ftw. Now I can confirm with MATH that Moonveil is legit bullshit:

50/50 maxed out moonveil has an AR of 688
50/50 quality claymore gets...644 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
50/50 quality banished knight halberd 619 :lol:

Granted the moonveil deals hybrid damage but I have a REALLY hard time believing this was playtested at any point.

Last edited:

Tyrr

Liturgist
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19nTQrpxPppIUzoXkfyX0iu3gxD7Aeux58Dr8xvIDKlQ/

Found what I was looking for. Spreadsheet ftw. Now I can confirm with MATH that Moonveil is legit bullshit:

50/50 maxed out moonveil has an AR of 688
50/50 quality claymore gets...644 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Granted the moonveil deals hybrid damage but I have a REALLY hard time believing this was playtested at any point.
Unique weapons have generally a higher AR because they can't be buffed with consumables or spells.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom