Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I don't recall when I first heard it. Funny, I still never played SOTN but I did play all the GBA castlevania games via emulation.

Ladonna

Arcane
Wait, i swear i have seen blobber being used as a term in other places, in fact, i think i saw it before i even learned of RPG Codex?

Doing a Google Search shows it is a term used to describe a genre, Wikipedia, Giantbomb, Urban Dictionary and other sites like RPGWatch have used the term blobber, i don't know when it started but i wouldn't be suprised if it predated RPG Codex.

Besides, even if it's associated with something the poster hates, what else will he call it, it's just like metroidvania, a term some people hate but fits so well and became so popular it will never dissapear.

Shagnak started it I think, with his description of the movement and combat system of those games being like a blob with multiple arms and legs. People just branched out by calling them Blob games, and then Blobbers seemed to spread across the interwebs.

Covenant

Savant
The Addict has decided to take a break from not writing about Angband (honestly, I should have predicted he'd do a poor job of that game - he's made clear over the years that one of the prime sources of enjoyment for him in RPGs is being able to undertake exhaustive mapping. Angband, with its infinite, random levels largely devoid of special features, doesn't offer much in this regard) to talk about problematic depictions of Native Americans.

I always feel bad about my score on the white-black test, so I figured I could feel better about myself by taking the Native American one. I can say with all honesty that I have never once had a negative thought about Native Americans as a group. I had to struggle to even think of a Native American slur. Not only that, but I also don't think I've even met anyone who expressed a racist opinion about Native Americans. If anything, I've always been exposed to positive associations.

My scores were worse than they were on the white-black test. I may not think Native Americans are "bad"; I just think they're over. I took that test about three weeks ago, and I've thought about it every day since then.

Every. Day.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
In short, I thought, I got this.

Well, Harvard got the best of me.

Reminds me of the true believer in 1984 who makes anti-party remarks in his sleep and is grateful to his son for snitching on him. The implicit bias bullshit is the peak of white people inventing ways to prove to themselves that they're always going to be racist no matter what and always have an reason for self-flagellating.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Reminds me of the true believer in 1984 who makes anti-party remarks in his sleep and is grateful to his son for snitching on him. The implicit bias bullshit is the peak of white people inventing ways to prove to themselves that they're always going to be racist no matter what and always have an reason for self-flagellating.

And the joke is on us because it's the other way around, in Europe at least, the colored minorities are the racist ones, there's proofs ot it every day, but the holier than thou choose to look the other way because they know white people are racist even when the facts tells a different story, they know.

We are the slavers, Egypt never killed millions of slaves building palaces and pyramids, arabs were of course not the greatest slavers of all, black people never massacred other tribes and sold the survivors as slaves for millenniums, Aztecs never massacred and took their neighbors as slaves for centuries before conquistadors arrived and so on...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I wonder how much of all this bias and "systemic racism" has more to do with people's socio-economic status than their skin colour.
I remember my brother who studied in the US telling my how people looked down on (some) Native Americans because they walked instead of driving, for example.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I wonder what is the average results by blacks or native americans if they try these tests.

They get similar results. He even mentions it in the blog:

Most white people, and even an unfortunate percentage of black people

But this gets explained as "internalized racism". Society is apparently so racist that blacks actually hate themselves.

Codex Year of the Donut
I wonder how much of all this bias and "systemic racism" has more to do with people's socio-economic status than their skin colour.
There's lots of bias based on skin color. Just check e.g., the kind of money that gets pumped into urban schools(minority white) vs rural schools(massive-majority white.)
https://iop.harvard.edu/get-involve...ool-prairie-overlooked-plight-rural-education
In states like Connecticut, Michigan, and Massachusetts, rural districts received 50 percent less funding from the federal government per poor pupil than urban counties. Even in other states, urban districts received between 20 to 50 percent more funding than their rural counterparts.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/28/us/politics/rural-schools-funding-cut.html
Rural school districts, which serve nearly one in seven public-school students, have long been considered the most underfunded and ignored in the country.
...Yet rural schools tend to produce children with better educations despite the massive lack of funding.

By many and probably most measures, white people should be doing far worse than they are if we dismiss it as a socioeconomic problem.

I remember my brother who studied in the US telling my how people looked down on (some) Native Americans because they walked instead of driving, for example.
Unless you live near a reservation your odds of even encountering a real indigenous person are extremely low. I can't even remember the last time I interacted with one.
There are a whole lot of very white people like Elizabeth Warren who pretend to be one though.

They largely govern themselves btw, so I'd imagine there's probably a stigma towards leaving reservations.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
What the fuck does any of that have to do with RPGs or Angband? Jesus fucking christ what's with this dude? If you can't map the random generation and you suck and keep dying you just flake out like some fucking idiot? Go figure. Stay on topic. I don't give a flying fuck about white/black/native/tribal/whatever bullshit lgbtqxyz mothafuckNOPE! That's the gayest shit stain since WOTC 5e.

Silentstorm

Learned
He should probably just put the project on hiatus and take a break, since he is clearly burned out.
I mean, he's played how many games over how many years?

And having a blog must make it feel like work sometimes, and i doubt every game is exactly great, i find people that take "play hundreds of games challenges" to be a bit insane, like those who want to play ever NES or Game Boy game ever made.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
He should probably just put the project on hiatus and take a break, since he is clearly burned out.
I mean, he's played how many games over how many years?

And having a blog must make it feel like work sometimes, and i doubt every game is exactly great, i find people that take "play hundreds of games challenges" to be a bit insane, like those who want to play ever NES or Game Boy game ever made.

I'm not sure it's insane (a bit obsessive maybe) but it's a surefire way to kill all the joy you initially had with the hobby

Fatberg Slim

Educated
Patron
The Addict has decided to take a break from not writing about Angband (honestly, I should have predicted he'd do a poor job of that game - he's made clear over the years that one of the prime sources of enjoyment for him in RPGs is being able to undertake exhaustive mapping. Angband, with its infinite, random levels largely devoid of special features, doesn't offer much in this regard) to talk about problematic depictions of Native Americans.

I always feel bad about my score on the white-black test, so I figured I could feel better about myself by taking the Native American one. I can say with all honesty that I have never once had a negative thought about Native Americans as a group. I had to struggle to even think of a Native American slur. Not only that, but I also don't think I've even met anyone who expressed a racist opinion about Native Americans. If anything, I've always been exposed to positive associations.

My scores were worse than they were on the white-black test. I may not think Native Americans are "bad"; I just think they're over. I took that test about three weeks ago, and I've thought about it every day since then.

Every. Day.

I don't know, I guess I don't expect much when it comes to nuanced depictions of ethnic groups in video games. I certainly don't hold them to a higher standard than film or TV.

Then again, when I think about how my own people are portrayed, this is the first thing that comes to mind and I'm totally OK with it, so maybe I'm not not the best judge of standards here:

upload_2022-3-21_17-24-24.png
upload_2022-3-21_17-23-47.png

(I can't wait to see what CRPG Addict says about the various stereotypes in JA if/when he gets to it.)
(Yes it's an RPG :smug:.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom