Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher The Witcher - A New Saga Begins

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
https://thewitcher.ly/ANewSagaBegins

h3yPYa5.png

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
And RED engine is getting ditched.
https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/media/...t-of-a-strategic-partnership-with-epic-games/
https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/media/...t-of-a-strategic-partnership-with-epic-games/

New Witcher Saga Announced. CD PROJEKT RED Begins Development on Unreal Engine 5 as Part of a Strategic Partnership with Epic Games

March 21, 2022

16-9-en-640x360.png

CD PROJEKT RED today revealed that the next installment in The Witcher series of video games is currently in development with Unreal Engine 5, kicking off a new saga for the franchise and a new technology partnership with Epic Games.

Today’s announcement marks the first official confirmation of a new game in The Witcher series since the release of CD PROJEKT RED’s previous single-player, AAA RPG in the franchise — The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt — which won a total of 250 Game of the Year awards and was later expanded upon with the Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wineadd-ons.

The teaser image for the new game features a medallion, accompanied by the phrase A New Saga Begins. Beyond this initial confirmation of a new saga in The Witcher franchise, no further details — such as a development time frame or release date — were provided.

CD PROJEKT RED also announced that they will be moving to Unreal Engine 5 as part of the multi-year strategic partnership with Epic Games. Since The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, released in 2011, CD PROJEKT RED has used their proprietary REDengine technology to build their games. This new relationship with Epic covers not only licensing, but technical development of Unreal Engine 5, as well as potential future versions of Unreal Engine, where relevant. Developers from CD PROJEKT RED will collaborate with those from Epic with the primary goal being to help tailor the engine for open-world experiences, beginning with the development of the next game in The Witcher franchise.

coldaqua

Novice
Announcing another RPG years in advance? Old habits die hard I guess.

I wonder what happens to the RED engine post-Witcher 4. They must have dropped a ton of resources into it when making Cyberpunk. Imagine those developers having to re-implement all that functionality again.

wishbonetail

Learned

I wonder what happens to the RED engine post-Witcher 4. They must have dropped a ton of resources into it when making Cyberpunk. Imagine those developers having to re-implement all that functionality again.
What functionality? Cutscenes?

RepHope

Savant
Not really a surprise, but I would’ve thought they would not have been so eager to announce another game so early in development after the Cyberpunk fiasco. Looks like a Cat medallion so I’m guessing we’re going to get to customize our own Witcher, and if they’re a Cat that means they’ll have a lot more flexibility for gameplay given that the Cat School didn’t give a shit about the “rules” and took contracts on humans in addition to monsters.

It’s dead. If they’re not using it then nobody else will.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Will it finally have good controls and efficient animations? Honestly, I preferred Witcher 2 for story. More political intrigue. Third turned boring as it became about saving the world.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I mean, nothing really says they can't make more Witcher games as long as they don't milk Geralt's story after saying it's concluded. There's that new singleplayer Gwent game in development as well. Real baffling part is going from their own engine to UE. Did Epic straight up pay them to make the switch or something?

ferratilis

Magister
Guys, is there a single RPG made in Unreal engine that's good? I can't think of any. Don't say Deus Ex, that was a completely different era, I mean more like UE3 or 4?

Gargaune

Magister

Jason Slama is a really good guy, he was friendly when he was the game director of Gwent.

His Mobygames listing:
Game Credits

Production
Gwent: The Witcher Card Game (2017) (Director - LiveOps)

Design
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Hearts of Stone (2015) (UI Team)
Programming/Engineering
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine (2016) (Gameplay Programmers)
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (2015) (Gameplay Programmers)
Assassin's Creed III (2012) (Additional AI / Gameplay Programmers)
Assassin's Creed: Recollection (2012) (Programmer)
Might & Magic: Duel of Champions (2012) (Programmers)
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (2010) (Programming)
But we'll need Roguey to tell us what he had for breakfast.

Guys, is there a single RPG made in Unreal engine that's good? I can't think of any. Don't say Deus Ex, that was a completely different era, I mean more like UE3 or 4?
Monomyth will be good!

:greatjob:

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
No hype after Cyberpunk. They have long way to rebuild their position. Im more interested in Starfield when it comes to big games. Btw, they should learn the hype management from Bethesda, there is no point in talking about a game 6 or nine years before the release, same like in Cyberpunk case.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom