Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

is really memorable and was really cool as a Paladin PC, but it is not worth the pants-on-head retarded lizard people plot line.

It pretty funny because you learn at the end of that shitty lizard dungeon that Morag was capable of porting to other worlds. She could have just took her people and left Toril for a hotter world instead of trapping them in the Keystone or whatever the hell it was called for millennia. That whole plot shouldn't have even existed. Aribeth should have been the main villain after taking out Maugrim who started the plague, overthrowing Nasher, and prosecuting a war against the Helmites in vengeance for Fenthick. Shoehorn Bane meddling with her sense of justice in there or something.

dacencora

It’s almost like a shitty anime, where it has a pretty interesting story and then some interdimensional beings come out of nowhere and are the True Bad Guys

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Dipped into that Shadowdancer level. FFS, this game is such a waste of time.

Hide, sneak attack, agro, move away, press F1 (hide), sneak attack, agro, move away, press F1, sneak attack... This is degenerative gameplay, despite working as intended. I know I can get my sneak attacks from henchmen, summons, darkness, which is marginally less boring, so this Shadowdencer level is either useless or detrimental. I think I'll reload and get another rouge level, maybe assassin.

OR I could just stop playing this bullshit.

Cael

Arcane

Hide, sneak attack, agro, move away, press F1 (hide), sneak attack, agro, move away, press F1, sneak attack... This is degenerative gameplay, despite working as intended. I know I can get my sneak attacks from henchmen, summons, darkness, which is marginally less boring, so this Shadowdencer level is either useless or detrimental. I think I'll reload and get another rouge level, maybe assassin.

Nathyrra and Aribeth double teaming the enemy in HotU is a solid line of BACKSTAB! that never gets old...

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Should have rolled a barbarian.

Cael

Arcane

Barbarian/Bard/RDD is a pretty crazy combo.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Away with your filthy <12 hit dice.

Cael

Arcane

Away with your filthy <12 hit dice.
+8 Str, +4AC, +4 Con makes up for it

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
FUCK IT. I can't into chapter 2.

I'm playing SoU. OC is cancer and an affront to all decent D&D games. And SoU better be as good as I remember, because I'm ready to drop it very fast.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
(I’m sure I’m forgetting one)
I believe there's also a set troll caves that went into golem caves.

Its worth pointing out that the OC did not originally have the prestige classes, so it was designed around a rogue being able to fight without that ability. I think at some point I've beaten all three campaigns with a rogue without ever using stealth. Stealth is generally crap if you're not playing some mod that needs it or if you're doing a challenge run. Come to think of it, I've never heard of anyone doing a challenge run in NWN.

Cael

Arcane
(I’m sure I’m forgetting one)
I believe there's also a set troll caves that went into golem caves.

Its worth pointing out that the OC did not originally have the prestige classes, so it was designed around a rogue being able to fight without that ability. I think at some point I've beaten all three campaigns with a rogue without ever using stealth. Stealth is generally crap if you're not playing some mod that needs it or if you're doing a challenge run. Come to think of it, I've never heard of anyone doing a challenge run in NWN.
Why would anyone want to play the stupid hit-stealth-hit game when you can easily just stab your way through dozens of mobs at a time? NWN isn't exactly Fallout Tactics.

Shadowdancer has some pretty high investment for a 1 level dip. To avoid hide/stab playstyle, you need to do a few things. 1) You're not going to be pure rogue, but a fighter/rogue hybrid. The other choice is mixing with Ranger, since it gives you a bunch of two-weapon fighting feats for free and gives you an animal companion to distract while you sneak. 2) Invest heavily into the skill Use Magic Device or dip a level into wizard. Doing this, you'll have other ways to setup sneak attacks. Knockdown is the simplest way, though it changes the loop from Hide->Attack to Knockdown->Attack. After that it's all about scrolls. They can be cheap and low level. Some of them you mentioned, like summons or darkness, but anything which entangles like Web or Entangle will also activate them. I think tanglefoot bags will work too, though you won't get those (or the materials to craft them) in the OC. On a more expensive note, but much easier to use is a scroll of Improved Invisibility.

Reading all of this is making me want to do a 20 year revist as well. I actually started up a game and got through the intro. My memory is advising me against continuing though.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I have two ranger levels and 7 in rogue. Dex, finesee. I wanted to get an animal companion but he only levels up with ranger levels so I figure he would die too fast. Plenty of skill points in umd. Having more punch outside of sneak attacks would be nice, seeing how many enemies are immune making me useless, but I'm not sure how to go about it and if sacrificing additional sneak damage would be worth it.
Reading all of this is making me want to do a 20 year revist as well. I actually started up a game and got through the intro. My memory is advising me against continuing though.
You do realize KotC 2 comes out in 3 days, right?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You dip into Shadowdancer because you want the hide -> sneak attack -> hide loop. It's a feature, not a bug. I'm always amazed how people ignore the overwhelmingly prevalent advice to skip the OC and then complain about it. We aren't joking. Don't play the OC. The best NWN content by far is Swordflight with a special mention to A Dance With Rogues, so if nothing else appeals to you try either if these, but be warned that ADWR is ...special in a very particular way.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I have yellow shapes in my game and can't talk to some characters (Arabeth or my companion for example).

Great excuse to drop this garbage. Discourages me from trying the expansions as well.

As a reminder, I have played the OC (the first chapter anyway) when it came out. Payed full price for it at 12 years old. It was shit. Paid for SoU as well. It was ok.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have yellow shapes in my game

Maybe you're playing in debugmode? You need to turn it off if you turn it on.

Let the man exit gracefully. No one should be exposed to NWN for prolonged periods and what better way to drop a playthrough? "Oh noooo! My game is bugged! Look at all these yellow shapes (that I enabled)! Welp, guess I can't continue. Alas!"

Cael

Arcane

Let the man exit gracefully. No one should be exposed to NWN for prolonged periods and what better way to drop a playthrough? "Oh noooo! My game is bugged! Look at all these yellow shapes (that I enabled)! Welp, guess I can't continue. Alas!"
To be, or not to be, that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of NWN, or to take arms against a sea of yellow shapes, and by opposing end them? Alas, alas, poor jvegi. NWN bested him, Horatio.

It pretty funny because you learn at the end of that shitty lizard dungeon that Morag was capable of porting to other worlds. She could have just took her people and left Toril for a hotter world instead of trapping them in the Keystone or whatever the hell it was called for millennia.
You don't understand the way people in power think. I know it sounds cliché, but not many leaders are forward-thinking and pragmatic like Sun Tzu. They tend to ego-trip and lash out emotionally when things don't go their way, i.e., "This thing is MINE! How dare some monkeys infest my stuff!! I'm going to exterminate them right this instant!" Just look at IRL lizard people shooting themselves in the foot for a few moments of schadenfreude.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It pretty funny because you learn at the end of that shitty lizard dungeon that Morag was capable of porting to other worlds. She could have just took her people and left Toril for a hotter world instead of trapping them in the Keystone or whatever the hell it was called for millennia.
You don't understand the way people in power think. I know it sounds cliché, but not many leaders are forward-thinking and pragmatic like Sun Tzu. They tend to ego-trip and lash out emotionally when things don't go their way, i.e., "This thing is MINE! How dare some monkeys infest my stuff!! I'm going to exterminate them right this instant!" Just look at IRL lizard people shooting themselves in the foot for a few moments of schadenfreude.

It's partly the quality of our leaders that's the lacking thing.

We need to set up severe initiation ordeals (like being staked out in the sun and having a vision quest :) ) for our prospective elites - real world, tough tests, physical, mental and moral, that they've got to pass, otherwise they might lose money, status or even life. Only Sun Tzu quality people would tough it out and pass such ordeals.

Oh wait, that is how leaders were selected in really ancient times :)

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron

I guess I remain the only dude to beat the OC twice.
:despair:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Hey now, I beat it twice too and not so long ago. It's still bad though, and the EE doesn't help one bit.
How the hell do you and I have something in common?
There was at least a gap of 8+ years between my playthroughs, mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom