Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Hibernaculum - sci-fi survival horror dungeon crawler from Wormwood Studios' Victor Pflug

Luka-boy

Arcane
Can't wait to see the Game Over screen(s).

Sorry if this has been asked before, but are you planning to make a single one or will you go all out and make multiple gory ones like in Elvira/Waxworks?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Ooh thanks - stealing that. I like the idea of dwarves and humans as being analogous to robots and humans. Or even;
  • Robot = Dwarf
  • Synthetic Person = Elf
  • Human = Human
Then you can have half elf humans that are half synthetic ie cyborgs. Or really more 'augments' I guess where robot human hybrids are more akin to cyborgs. Like Brain upgrade vs robot arm upgrade etc.

I wouldn't necessarily think of it like that. The reason being is that quite a bit of it is a limiting factor in terms of... well everything really. If you're gonna have Robot races, then maybe a few base templates for usage and from there just a ton of stat and skill modification.
  • Boarding / Repelling Actions
  • Loading Dock
  • Security
  • Entertainment
  • etc.
Same could be done for Synthetics and Humans. You could even have stuff like human sub-types such as clone or vat-born, etc. which give their own benefits and drawbacks.

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
That looks just like the ripped throat effect from Elvira, I actually had to go and check that you didn't, *ahem* borrow it. I guess in the style you did it in there's just not any way to not make it look like it came straight out of that game.

Well spotted! No I absolutely copy pasted part of the throat sprite from Elvira lol - just a tiny section as a shoutout lol I'll change it for the final it really depends on whether my talks with Elvira's agent about licencing her for a sequel etc go ahead.. :D

Can't wait to see the Game Over screen(s).

Sorry if this has been asked before, but are you planning to make a single one or will you go all out and make multiple gory ones like in Elvira/Waxworks?

Probably definitely multiple - I regret not doing those for Strangeland so I want to go all out this time.

On another note I feel like I'm really getting some good ideas for enemies now;

https://twitter.com/modredcastleton/status/1506900654132174848

agris

Arcane
Patron
That thing looks sweet, you just need a bit more banding in the plume of the vertical thruster (and maybe some of the others) to make it look right, and not just like beams of light.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Any plans for human skin wearing droid abominations?
Like skin bandits from Kenshi.
latest

Or that biomechanical Mandroid bullshit from that one old animated Star Wars knockoff Starchaser.

4ze1ebX.png

Y1otf23.png

YsxgvQR.png

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
latest

Or that biomechanical Mandroid bullshit from that one old animated Star Wars knockoff Starchaser.

4ze1ebX.png

Y1otf23.png

YsxgvQR.png

Man, those things make 40k servitors look sexy in comparison.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well so far I'm stealing this idea from that Bunker game - you'll be able to create your own portrait - I'm not sure about items appearing on it... Depending on what we finalize for headgear that might be a good idea actually.

You must at least add wounds to the avatar. Maybe eye-popping out when you are at 1% health.

Cool stuff otherwise.

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer

Short answer, hell yes.

You must at least add wounds to the avatar. Maybe eye-popping out when you are at 1% health.

Cool stuff otherwise.

Short answer also hell yes.

Here's something else for ya'll to sniff molecules of fakeness out of hehehe

I made this tutorial backwards, after seeing all the pixel artists are doing this on social media. Mine won't help anybody because it's reverse engineered and fake, though.

Untitled-2.png

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What do you mean by fake? Taking a normal looking picture and pixelating it? Is that frowned upon in the pixel art community? Can it be detected by veterans?

Zariusz

Arbiter
In my opinion if it looks good and it works then there is nothing bad with it, unless you dont feel any accomplishment but then you must ask yourself if your artist pride is worth more than your end goal.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
In my opinion if it looks good and it works then there is nothing bad with it, unless you dont feel any accomplishment but then you must ask yourself if your artist pride is worth more than your end goal.

Yeah, I don't care how it's done, if it works, and looks good. But I could see it might be viewed as a bit cheap if you just take pics from the internet and pixelate them.

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Ya'll are too supportive I was expecting everyone here to trash my work lol

But yeah nah I mean I know my technique is legit - I just couldn't be bothered actually making a real 'tutorial' so I took some of my pixel art then painted "early" versions to try to fake my way to views.

It's working moderately well. I'm only telling *you* all this because I trust you all so much.

agris

Arcane
Patron
for those that don't want to use twitter to see it full-sized

FPvm-s0aIAINr1_

edit: the font in the log is much-improved too

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Hey, thanks for posting the portrait - forgot to mention, I appreciate it.

Incidentally that quote is actually from Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe - some guy that has to don a bearsuit to clean out septic tanks says it at one point.

I only steal from the best.

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
What do you mean by fake? Taking a normal looking picture and pixelating it? Is that frowned upon in the pixel art community? Can it be detected by veterans?

It depends on the context.

Asset churning:
Creating assets for a game is one thing on its own. Pixel art is a time consuming medium so in order to remain productive and stay on budget, filters and other photoshop tricks are very often used. I don’t think it’s frowned upon in this context.

Curated Gallery:
Pixel art involves working with limitations: palette, size and tools. It would be rightly frowned upon if a filtered was applied to a photograph and then submitted to a curated gallery. It’s like tracing a drawing as opposed to drawing it by skill alone. And yes, veteran can tell. If you’ve done it before you can tell what is pixel art and what isn’t at a glance.

Pixel artists use automated tools to various degrees as well, it depends.

Snake didn’t use a lot of filters if I recall correctly:
ddheElI.jpg

Neither did Cyangmou with Tower 57:

OyP67wO.jpg

- - -

That looks just like the ripped throat effect from Elvira, I actually had to go and check that you didn't, *ahem* borrow it. I guess in the style you did it in there's just not any way to not make it look like it came straight out of that game.

This, on the other hand, is more concerning. Could someone point out the « ripped throat effect » so I can compare what was « borrowed »?

Self-Ejected

Zizka

Self-Ejected
Victor Pflug fuck the purists, hack that shit together any way that makes you happy. they aren't paying your bills, you got a game to make!

Oh my, the « end justify the means » is a very, very slippery slope especially when it comes as your reputation as an artist. Having bills to pay doesn’t justify stealing. Once you’re tagged as the guy who steals from others, you’d better get a new identity.

I remember a Kickstarter which crashed because the artist was « borrowing » a bit too freely and got called out on it. Artist don’t like their stuff being appropriated without permission and rightly so.

EDIT: I can't explain anything about what I've written any further. It's as simple as it gets.

Last edited:

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Hibernaculum is growing!!! So is the scope. If anyone out there in the radioactive mist has strong Unity programming skills and/or an interest in RPG mechanics (or u know anyone along those lines) and possibly wants to get involved, maybe drop me a DM ;)

FP03AcRaUAA4LGN

FP03AcXaMAIyEOM

FP03Ac5aIAEjk6W

FP02ma4akAItuka

Victor Pflug

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Oh my, the « end justify the means » is a very, very slippery slope especially when it comes as your reputation as an artist. Having bills to pay doesn’t justify stealing. Once you’re tagged as the guy who steals from others, you’d better get a new identity.

I remember a Kickstarter which crashed because the artist was « borrowing » a bit too freely and got called out on it. Artist don’t like their stuff being appropriated without permission and rightly so.

EDIT: I can't explain anything about what I've written any further. It's as simple as it gets.

True, but I've never stolen from another artist. I joke about stealing quotes or ideas but this is strictly inspiration. I don't do "fan art" for just this very reason - I like to come up with my own ideas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom