Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What does reputation actually do?

bobocrunch

Educated
I know body count can be brought up in some quests, but I don't think I noticed anything but Word of Hour being used and that was in the first town, did I just avoid them all in my pathing? Played Thieves Guild all the way through

AA2C4E0851B228DE7D4E4C9BDA7950813F970553

Johannes

Arcane
Theyre used a bit but extremely randomly and sparsely. Word of Honor is used at least with the guy who you can pay to get in at the Teron city gates - if you have positive WoH, he will ask you to do his quest. Word of Honor can be gotten in Teron at least by getting rid of Cassius for Feng, and by paying the raider as promised after making him attack the outpost.

Norfleet

Very few games seem to actually use the body count as anything other than a tool for the player's gratification. It is basically never acknowledged that you've personally murdered hundreds or even thousands of people, and so people never stop trying to fuck around and find out. Maybe if you rack up enough of a body count, you'll get a partnership deal from a mortuary or something: You stab 'em, we slab 'em.

FriendlyMerchant

Reputation affects a few dialogue checks. You fail them if you don't have enough reputation.

FriendlyMerchant

Very few games seem to actually use the body count as anything other than a tool for the player's gratification. It is basically never acknowledged that you've personally murdered hundreds or even thousands of people, and so people never stop trying to fuck around and find out. Maybe if you rack up enough of a body count, you'll get a partnership deal from a mortuary or something: You stab 'em, we slab 'em.

Body count in this game is accounted for in dialogue checks. There is no unused number in this game.

Norfleet

How does it affect those dialogue checks? Do trash bandits actually learn to fear you as a result? After you've killed a few thousand people, do the NPCs start reacting to you like you're the world's equivalent of Chuck Norris?

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
Faction reputation determines the "quality" of your ending. If you have high faction rep you will get a good ending, and if you have a low faction reputation you will get a bad ending because you are a schmuck that everyone hates and they make your life miserable.

House Daratan and House Aurelian reputations have certain breakpoint for allowing additional training. House Daratan is imo the most interesting reputation because you can use it to get training from both Cassius and Feng in Teron if you start with certain backgrounds/charisma balues. The Aurelian rep training is like impossible to not hit I think so it's lot less interesting.

I think other factions might have something similar, but I'm not entirely sure. Overall the endings are I guess the main thing that reputation governs.

There is no unused number in this game.
Where is prestige, combat and peacemaker checked?

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
I have 100% of the cheevos and I honestly don't think there is a a major path that I haven't done. I think I played Daratan Preator the least so maybe he variant of double crossing from that in Maadoran I probably didn't do.

I also vaguely remember peacemaker being checked somewhere, but don't remember exactly where. Hence me asking.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

I'd like to see a game where if you're a murderhobo, eventually the virtual world gets a massive posse (including like half a dozen top mages and fighters) to hunt you down and kill you :)

FriendlyMerchant

Faction reputation determines the "quality" of your ending. If you have high faction rep you will get a good ending, and if you have a low faction reputation you will get a bad ending because you are a schmuck that everyone hates and they make your life miserable.

House Daratan and House Aurelian reputations have certain breakpoint for allowing additional training. House Daratan is imo the most interesting reputation because you can use it to get training from both Cassius and Feng in Teron if you start with certain backgrounds/charisma balues. The Aurelian rep training is like impossible to not hit I think so it's lot less interesting.

I think other factions might have something similar, but I'm not entirely sure. Overall the endings are I guess the main thing that reputation governs.

There is no unused number in this game.
Where is prestige, combat and peacemaker checked?

Here's a forum post from Iron tower with all the checks.
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,6778.0.html
Combat reputation is used (bandit camp). But unfortunately, Peacemaker and Prestige aren't. If your reading this Iron Tower, this demotes AoD to a 2/10 now. Will no longer play.

Nm6k

Scholar
I remember body count being used a bunch instead of combat but anyways the use of reputation is one of the things they said they wanted to do better in future games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom