Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

plem

Learned
the dragon enemies in this game are much tougher than the first game

that's a good thing honestly. by the end of KoTC1 I was getting dragons as random encounters, which is just silly even for a level 20 party.

I remember trying that once when I had no internet due to circumstances but the game kept going through a steam check. Again you might be right. It might work on some games; but for me it didn't work in a particular game.

it depends on whether they use SteamDRM, some games are unprotected and can be launched without the steam client running. Most just implement SteamDRM as it's basically a freebie if you're using the API anyway.

Whether Pierre has bothered? Who knows.

Pierre's a libertarian so probably (hopefully) no DRM

companions are on top of your party, not replacing it

the steam page says there's 8 companions and a max of 9 party members though, so I'm wondering if it's doable to just make one custom and roll with the full roster. do you have access to them early on or only late game?
I wouldn't try to play this game without a full custom party, especially on a first playthrough. Even with the game having been made easier and easier with each patch, this is still a nut-cracking experience. The companions we have seen so far are charming but extremely barebones, and there's no particular companion-unique content after you recruit them (right now, I can only think of a single example).

that's good to know, starting with 6 seems like the way to go. time for obsessive theory-crafting!

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
by the end of KoTC1 I was getting dragons as random encounters, which is just silly even for a level 20 party.
Right? I hated how the random encounters worked in the first game. A whole group of lichs. Another group of red dragons just casually waltzing around. Good god, what celestial being is pooping these things out? In this game though. There's none of that random crap. All of the encounters are handcrafted.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Am I missing something or is 90% of subraces worse than vanilla version? Guess it makes sense to have larger drawbacks otherwise it would be too easy to raise wanted ability scores.

Thanks for the tips think I have theorycrafted my first party (took multiple hours since I was not too familiar with feats and so on):

dwarf champion (shield)
mantis gladiator (4 light weapons)
cloudtop half giant samurai (2h weapon, reach maybe)
halfling earth druid
human stygian psionicist
elf wizard

Final question: does cleave work with whirlwind (or fast whirlwind)?

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Is Augury of Chaos a full length game? Is it worth playing immediately or waiting until he's released his future modules? Is playing all of those at once going to be a 100+ hour undertaking?

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Am I missing something or is 90% of subraces worse than vanilla version?
It depends. I'm no expert on this game. I just have tons of hours from playing, but each sub race usually has a certain trade off for a class set up. For example, each race has a sub race that gives extra strength, which facilitates you to go fighter or whatever martial class you want. Though I always end up rolling all humans on my party because extra feat is king. Stats are cheap to increase in this game.

For your other question the way cleave works is that you get an immediate free attack after an enemy dies. So to answer your question. It *should* work with whirlwind, as long as you're within melee range and the combat maneuver was performed with a melee weapon.

Is Augury of Chaos a full length game?
Ya. He spent like a year or something working on it. It's a hundred hour plus, depending on your pace, module. Can be completed from start to finish. Plus he added more content to it. Besides being able to import your party over to the next module. The modules are basically stand alone campaigns.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
It's a self-contained module, you go from noob to casting lvl 9 spells by the end of it.

The ones coming afterwards are the ones that will allow party import, each module representing a 7-level stretch.

Worth playing as soon as you can get it.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Will I regret not taking a Cleric with Psionist, Druid and Wizard?

Rouge seems cool, but without skills does he really do something a more tanky class can't provide? Useful checks and such? In ToEE Rouge was OP.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Yeah. You'll regret it, lol. The reason is because of how wild the end game content is. In this game turn economy gets hectic if you only have one spell caster versus the many spell caster with high initiative enemy will have. Additionally, having party wide buffs, ability to recover HP, cure status effects; helps with mid game content too. Is very recommended you have a Cleric - alternatively you can roll a Sorcerer so you can get access to both Wizard and Cleric spell list, but they get their spells slowly. Druid is nice too.

Rogue can do past some skill checks, but other classes can do the same too. Pierre recommends picking Bard for having more options in getting past skill checks. Last run I had a bard and it helped.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Will I regret not taking a Cleric with Psionist, Druid and Wizard?

Rouge seems cool, but without skills does he really do something a more tanky class can't provide? Useful checks and such? In ToEE Rouge was OP.
Not really. You can use a druid, or something else.

Wizard, Psionicist, Sorcerer, Monk, Gladiator, Cleric

Was my party.

My next run will remove one mage and have a druid instead. The monk will be replaced by some other class.

The only reason I used monk is because I like the class in general.

I would say that you should have four casters in your party.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yeah, but isn't druid a healer too? And psionicist is described as having arcane and divine like abilities. So wizard for arcane, druid for some healing and summoning plus a psionicist because he's supposed to be op.
Not really. You can use a druid, or something else.
That's what I figure. But there might be some cleric spells that are extremely useful. That's something that's hard to judge without the proper in-game experience, with class description alone.

This is going to be fun.

dacencora

Bishop was a pretty good pick back in the day for one of the summons you could get with him. I haven’t played since 1.09 probably so I don’t know what it looks like now.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Is Augury of Chaos a full length game? Is it worth playing immediately or waiting until he's released his future modules? Is playing all of those at once going to be a 100+ hour undertaking?
Augury of Chaos on its own has enough content for a 50+ hours playthrough. My first run required around 70 hours, but I can see someone less experienced with D&D 3.x needing more than 100 hours to finish this.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Bishop was a pretty good pick back in the day for one of the summons you could get with him. I haven’t played since 1.09 probably so I don’t know what it looks like now.
The tentacled horror thingy, yeppers; but you can get the same summon with regular cleric. Trade off with Bishop is that you get more domains at the cost of losing high level cleric spells - contrast this to Sorcerer where you get both Cleric spell list and Mage list at full progression, meaning you don't lose high level spells. Of course you don't get any domains for Sorcerer.

There's always a trade off to these classes, but they all each have a unique thing going for it. Unlike Pathfinder where there's so much redundancy in between classes.

almondblight

Arcane
Why would you even want the game on steam?
Masochism?
Achievements?
I don't see one good reason not to prefer the direct download from Pierre's website.

1. Pierre's download portal limits you to 30 downloads for life at the moment.

2. I don't know how much effort he'll put into keeping the web portal up to date for the ~200 people who use it. For instance, the Mac version he has at the download portal has never worked, and I don't know if how long it'll take him to update things whenever he fixes the Steam version.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've had my limit refresh by itself so I don't think it's an issue. Also, I personally would not take on Augury without a cleric considering how brutal the fights get. I can't remember what domains I took. I think it was something for turning touch spells to range and then boosting the healing rate of spells. I ran two gladiators, two psions, one cleric, and one wizard and that's what I intend to do again to see how things have changed. I haven't touched it since I finished 1.01 deliberately. I want to see how much things have changed/improved. I know I went with a red wizard and that paid off at the end. If things haven't changed I also recommend respeccing companions the minute you get them because they tend to have really bad default setups.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
in florida time. it'll be 7 hours:
aqyYsGg.png
still no price listing. im guessing it'll show once the game releases. weird how that works. anyway very excited to finally see new people play this beauty of a game.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I putted credits only to buy this game. Only a question. IS hard to run it on Linux with wine? I din't had any problem with the first game in my archlinux.

Skdursh

Savant
I putted credits only to buy this game. Only a question. IS hard to run it on Linux with wine? I din't had any problem with the first game in my archlinux.
How many times do I have to teach you retards this lesson? Get a Win10 disk image and run QEMU with GPU passthrough and you can run literally any game available on Windows without issue and it will run pretty much identically to running it on a "true" Win 10 OS. Only games you might run into problems with are multiplayer online games that force EasyAntiCheat, because it has VM checks.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd be shocked if the game had any issues under wine/proton. The only games that seem to do these days are the ones with complex external anti-cheat systems.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
for those who played Augury of Chaos, should I do a full custom party or take the companions? do they have any special content or quests?

It's not the choice you have, you can pick pre-degenerates, i mean pre-generated characters or roll your own and then, whatever you chose, you can recruit companions at will, it only dilutes your xp gain and equipment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom