Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I BET HE GETS TO FUCKING TRADE THE WEAPON TOO! FUCK THIS GAME!!!!! ARRGGGGGH.

Nah I'm cool. It's cool.
:despair:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Something I'm noticing on my current playthrough is that planning a build and exploring the world with a clear set of goals in mind is EXTREMELY satisfying and enjoyable. Once you know where to find what, unless you're looking for something gated behind the capital, you can basically go around picking up whatever you need without dealing with any mandatory content. A very nice side effect of only beating the content necessary to shape your build (and whatever piques your interest while you're traveling) is that you will face a lot of enemies while underleveled (or, at least, not disgustingly overleveled), and this makes exploring the world and facing minibosses much more interesting. This time around I basically skipped Limgrave in its entirety and went straight to Liurnia and I'm having a blast. Honestly, everything is so much more challenging and fun this way that the game seems intended to be played this way. This kind of playstyle will probably shows its cracks in areas like Dragonbarrow where enemies have infinite HP, but so far everything is going incredibly smooth.

Caim

Arcane
Fought the commander in the poison swamp. As someone who uses spirit ashes a lot it was a surprise to have them used against me for a change.

Not very difficult though.

Nathir

Liturgist
Anyway, I completed the game today. Was a lot of fun all in all, but it certainly has it's problems. Just a few thoughts.

Open world is fine, and I don't hate it as some do. But at the same time, it's not fleshed out enough as a concept either. Running around on the horse is fun, but horse combat is bad and needs improvement. There also needed to be more effort put into making the world feel alive. If you have only ruins and enemy encampments in the game, do you really need an open world? There are no villages or towns of any kind. Crafting should be better thought out. Upgrading weapons is the same as before only needlesly stretched out because the game is longer.

Story is the worst part. I can see they had a concept in mind, but there are so many characters, and it begins with a mystery conspiracy, and nothing gets answered. Towards the end it was just a constant stream of "wait, how, why?". In Dark Souls all the story amounted to was kill the dying god to save the land. Or kill the crazy demon-possessed king to save the land in DeS. The opening crawls were all that was needed. Item descriptions and other things were side elements, giving backdrop info you could ignore. Yeah I know someone broke the Elden Ring, and we need to fix it. But there are so many plot important gods, and we get zero explanations on why they act the way they do or what are they even doing. Like at the end it's somehow revealed Radagon is Marika?? Wtf. Why? Is Gurranq Maliketh? They look the same, but killing Maliketh doesn't do anything to Gurranq. Melina is the worst and most useless character by far. And again, who is she? Why is she doing this? They really need to stop with the "maiden in black" character. I have so many other complaints about the story but can't write it now. If you are going to do this epic story, you can't just present it the same way you always did. Atleast we got NPC markers. I like a lot of characters here, and do think they are memorable... But the nature of the big world means you'll miss them all the time with no wiki at hand.

Combat is responsive and fun, but there are too many enemies with DS3 style tracking and delays, and multi-hit combos. It's not fun when every enemy that isn't a standard soldier behaves like this. It makes you wanna run past encounters instead of tackling them atleast once. Bosses suffer from this a lot aswell. Damage is very high in this game. Almost every boss had a move that did 80% of my HP. There are a lot of big bosses that you can't see what they are doing. But they also have delayed, multi-hit swings, which makes for a bad experience. The answer to all of these problems seems to be to give the player a lot of cheese options aswell. Sleep, Bleed, Spirit ashes, damage prevention bubbles... Spells are underpowered in general, and a lot of weapon arts are straight up better than spells.

Best part of the game is definitely the visual design. From the environment to the bosses everything looks great. The atmosphere of a game is very important to me, so I might rate the game higher than some, despite it's flaws. I pretty much enjoyed all the main bosses, even the bullshit ones like Malenia, just because of their presentation. Fire Giant looks like it came straight out of ragnarok, and not from Marvels Thor. Godfrey is the most badass character in any From game. Maliketh, Rykard, Mohg, etc. are just all around cool and awe inspiring. Except for Placidusax the dragons were a little lame though. None came even close to being as memorable as Kalameet. Anyway, I loved the enemy designs.

I am dissapointed it is essentially Dark Souls 4 though. Except for the horse we get the same mechanics again. I think they should have innovated more. How about a different spell or class system? Some changes to combat, like Sekiro did? Or anything else, really. Atleast it's not a everything is a cycle, link the fire story?

Overall though, it is pretty good and miles ahead of what's coming out nowadays. But I don't think it's better than DS, DeS or Sekiro.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
LALALALALLAA I DID NOT READ THAT SPOILER WHO WAS IT RADAHN YEP IT WAS RADAHN THAT WAS THAT OTHER UHHHH RANNI YEAH. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Think I blanked that out.

:shredder:

Efe

Erudite
Nathir
Is Gurranq Maliketh?
Apparently if you find all deathroot then maliketh recognizes you.

From what I gathered time is very nonlinear throughout the world. Millicent nad her sisters are different possibilities of malenia. gurranq is the regretful recluse who couldnt keep death rune while maliketh found it back and is guarding it more zealously this time.
It also adds some sense into boss recycling. You fight loretta twice once as a servant of carian family and afterwards as charmed into service by miquella.

No idea Fia does what she does but I guess we can concur some woman are hoes.
Marika revelation is not at the end but rather mid-game from a statue in leyndell, which turtle in church of vows tells you about.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Godfrey is the most badass character in any From game.
For me it's between Isshin or Radahn. Although I think Radahn wins because Isshin was protecting a region from invasion, whereas Radahn protects a planet from aliens. And with the gravity powers he has.....yeah.

Olinser

Savant
69y4c6.jpg

67056349.jpg

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I died once to Godrick, the Crucible Knight duo, the Godskin duo, and Placidusax. Twice to Radagon/Elden Beast. Three times to Maliketh and the first Tree Sentinel. Five to Malenia. I can't remember how many times the first Crucible Knight killed me, but I faced him severely underleveled as soon as I got to the evergaol.

Jesus fuck man, you two shotted the Crucible Duo AND the Godskin Duo? And you generaly one-shot or two-shot most of these crazy bosses?

Are you something superhuman...like a cat for example?

Wunderbar

Arcane
I died once to Godrick, the Crucible Knight duo, the Godskin duo, and Placidusax. Twice to Radagon/Elden Beast. Three times to Maliketh and the first Tree Sentinel. Five to Malenia. I can't remember how many times the first Crucible Knight killed me, but I faced him severely underleveled as soon as I got to the evergaol.
Jesus fuck man, you two shotted the Crucible Duo AND the Godskin Duo? And you generaly one-shot or two-shot most of these crazy bosses?
Are you something superhuman...like a cat for example?
he's an italian... an unemployed italian who had all the time in the world to git gud...

he also single-handedly ruined the western civilization, according to one codex thread.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
wow they did nerf radahn very hard
he hits like half as hard

Nooooo, i'll never get to experience it now.

Fuck you From, since when were you ever in the habit of dumbing shit down?

DS2 Shrine of Amana used to be awesome until they nerfed the hell out of it and the tracking of the projectiles. Now it's just ok and fairly easy. Just saying it does happen from time to time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom