Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Reinhardt

Arcane
Let this subforum die in peace. It's codex disgrace.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
E3tYRH0VIAA1daP.jpg

Dollarhyde.

edit: nah, that's just some inked dude

A woman that pretends to be 15 years younger than she actually is.
She'd be kinda cute without the noserings and the tat.

Spukrian

Savant
This game has choices and consequences. I finished the Sublight questline and now everyone in Byzantium wants to kill me. This makes continuing in the main quest a bit more difficult... or maybe I'll just reload an earlier save (playing on Supernova). :argh:

Spukrian

Savant
So I finished this about a week ago. I liked it, though it has a lot of flaws.

I played a Melee/Sneak character. Solo, no companions. My build was probably suboptimal, I had Max Str, Dex, Tem and Min Int, Per and Cha. I used mostly a fully upgraded Plasma Cutter, probably not the best melee weapon. I did miss out on some quests because I didn't sell the mad scientist to the Board.

The Good:
*The Flaw system: This is fantastic! I took as many flaws as I could. The only flaw I turned down was Permanently Maimed Concussed because it would've made the game very tedious annoying. So I ended up with Apephobia, Robotphobia, Fear of Heights and Sensitivity to Plasma & Radiation. At the end of the game I had more perks than I needed though and had to chose some that were useless. More games should have Flaws!
*Exploration feels good. I really like the environments in this game, each place has it's own feel. Animals look a lot like real animals and I think this was a good decision
*I really like the music.

The Medium:
*Most characters look the same and are often ugly. Maybe that's the point, that they're all inbred?
*Some characters I feel were well written whereas other characters were terribly written.

The Bad:
*The game tries to balance being humourous and being critical of contemporary society at the same time, but fails. The humour often isn't funny and whatever message the game has gets muddled because it's contradictory to its premise... or something. I feel others have pointed this out already and made better arguments about it so I'll stop.

I played on Supernova:
*Survival elements are great. More games should have them. Maybe the time untill you get Sleepy or Thirsty should be a bit longer in this game though.
*Restricting saves is good, makes me really evaluate the risk/reward of most combat encounters.
*Restricting rest and fast travel could've been good, but the way the game implements them is just... tedious and time wasting.

Random Fact: If you take a Lvl 1 weapon and tinker it to the max, the tinker cost caps at 300 000 at Lvl 30. I can't recall exactly what I had in Science but it must've been between 100 and 150.

Conclusion: I'd play through this game again, at least once or twice. As it looks now, I'd buy and play the sequel, but probably not at launch, I'd wait for a sale.

Last edited:

Spukrian

Savant
Kinda curious. Which ones did you think were well-written and why?
The toothpaste scientist (Anton Crane?) was well written. Initially I disliked him, but at the conclusion of the quest I changed my opinion of him. He showed the genuine despair of someone in crisis.

ADA (the ship AI) was one of the few characters I thought was actually funny. But I might be biased, I like AI characters in general.

Lilya Hagen (Sublight leader) was also quite funny, as a parody of paranoid characters. I can relate, I've known quite a few paranoid people in my life (and to be honest, I'm a bit paranoid myself).

Sanjar felt like a realistic character, a person trust into the deep end and slowly drowning... or maybe I'm reading to much into it. I liked him despite the "quirkiness".

Sedrick in the DLC. He was brutally honest, both literally and figurately. I felt bad for not being honest to him in return in the end of the DLC.

Now that I've written this, it seems highly subjective and I guess it's just a list of characters I like. I guess I could make a list of mediocre/annoying characters as well if I wanted to, and perhaps it would be longer... so whatever, your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Since this topic is alive again:

Does anyone else feel like the DLCs should have been switched around in order?

DLC1 felt like end-game content to get your guys up to max level with best equipment / most difficult enemies in the game, while answering most of the unanswered questions from main game, Your Lonesome Road DLC

DLC2 on the hand was a story driven experience that offered no real combat challenges to anyone that had finished DLC 1 and as far as I could tell wasn`t connected to the main game storywise (I never finished it).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Which unanswered questions? "What the fuck is with all these marauders, anyway?"

You can actually learn that Adrena-Time is what's driving them crazy in Edgewater in the base game, although it takes some digging around and feels like the remains of cut content.

Spukrian

Savant
Does anyone else feel like the DLCs should have been switched around in order?
In the game, they recommend DLC1 for 25+ lvl characters and DLC2 for 30+ characters, yet DLC2 is available as soon as you reach the Stellar Bay Landing Pad and DLC1 is available when you finish the main quests on Monarch. So you have access to DLC2 before DLC1.

KVVRR

Learned
The problem with the flaw system is that there are no good perks in the game. And I don't mean it as in they don't make you're character more powerful, I mean that all of them are just straight numbers up with nothing else added to them. No flavor, no new animations, no cool new dialogue or encounters, no new actual skills or abilities to use. Just number go up, most of the time not even enough to justify taking the flaw in the first place.

I believe this was touched upon somewhere in the thread before but good lord it's a missed opportunity.

Latelistener

Arcane
I remember complaining about something like that on the Loop Hero forum. About a missed opportunity and how things like +0.01 HP is not really interesting or engaging. I also asked who did it and who thought it was good (it was a rhetorical question, there are only 4 devs I think).

One of the devs went full hard on me saying that he did that (just to mock me) and still thinks that it's fun.

So, I believe this is the future my bois. If you even need to explain that the ability to do something unique is much more interesting than having +0.01 to your HP, then something is very wrong. And I'm seeing this in a lot of new games.

Perhaps it's time to learn some game devs skill while it's not too late or stop playing altogether.

ciox

Liturgist
You don't get it dude it's so CLEVER AND FUNNY that the traits in this game don't do anything useful.

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The problem with the flaw system is that there are no good perks in the game. And I don't mean it as in they don't make you're character more powerful, I mean that all of them are just straight numbers up with nothing else added to them. No flavor, no new animations, no cool new dialogue or encounters, no new actual skills or abilities to use. Just number go up, most of the time not even enough to justify taking the flaw in the first place.

I believe this was touched upon somewhere in the thread before but good lord it's a missed opportunity.

I wish the list of what was cut was leaked,
I refuse to believe Tim and team have grown more incompetent with age.
There are so many signs of more ambitious designs (What clothes you wear have triggers but they are only used once in the game etc) that had to be done away with due to time/budget.

Last edited:

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
There are so many signs of more ambitious designs (What clothes you wear have triggers but they are only used once in the game etc) that had to be done away with due to time/budget.

The disguise system was half baked too even tho it's a great idea, my favorite actually. I wish more RPG had disguises systems. Like it would be pretty cool if you had to listen to guards, avoid eye contact and had answer harder questions to get out of situations while disguised , sadly is too easy to ignore and just run like a motherfucker while you pass skill checks to re-fill it. There's potencial in most system present in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom